How can Thailand possibly ever make it? Another import saga:

heiri007

On 9/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, heiri007 said:
On 9/26/2019 at 10:23 AM, Just Weird said:

Why must I understand that if what you say is true you don't want to post just the receipt confirming it?  You can redact your name and address and show the amounts you claim, surely?

Because why would I waste time making up a story making the place look "bad"? If you're accusing me to be a liar, so be it. Hope this thread serves others as a warning - or at least to be prepared when delivery companies confront them with excessive charges made out of the blue. It's an extortion system, happened to me again and again, that's why from now on no orders whatsoever anymore that are shipped by one of these big names. EMS and postal services or Asian couriers, no problems.

"Because why would I waste time making up a story making the place look "bad"?"

This is Thaivisa, many, many posters take delight in uncorroborated Thai-bashing.  I am not suggesting that you are doing that.  If I was in your position, accusing a reputable company of extortion I'd be posting the official receipt that all these couriers issue to back up my assertion.  Why would I not do that?

"Hope this thread serves others as a warning - or at least to be prepared when delivery companies confront them with excessive charges made out of the blue".

Without any evidence, this thread does nothing of the sort as, so far, there has been no evidence to corroborate your extortion claim of courier companies adjusting charges to suit them.  You claim that this has happened many times yet you won't produce even one receipt that would confirm this.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, Dexlowe said:

I have no dog in this fight - my interest in purely academic. But I don't understand why you think the OP is lying, especially as his posts seem quite sincere to me. From the way you have replied I think you have a close connection to one of these shipping companies and therefore feel defensive. You are obviously right in what you say, but you're not taking into account the very likely situation of individual staff doing the rip-off as an extracurricular activity. "Trying it on" in other words, which is standard procedure in Thailand. There have been numerous threads on TV about this over the years.

I did not say that he was lying, you said that.  Based on my considerable experience of receiving orders from overseas using all these couriers, I know how they work and I have explained that process.  That process includes receiving  detailed receipts that he seems reluctant to post here.  Not once have I been given the opportunity to negotiate the duty payable, from any of the three companies that I mentioned, or had the duty completely cancelled and then delivered as the OP asserted he had! 

The courier companies have to answer to the Thai Customs department regarding their contracted collection of import duty that they do on behalf of the department.  I have never had what you describe as "extracurricular rip-off activity" happen.  Why would you claim that this is "very likely to happen" if it has never happened to you and, if it has happened as frequently as the OP suggests, why has it not been heard of here just as frequently? 

I dispute your assertion that there have been numerous threads here about courier companies extorting money from customers by illegally claiming their own calculations of amounts of import duty payable.  I'm sure that you will link to one of them, though, if they exist.

• Haha 1