UK police arrest 10 climate activists before protests

rooster59

UK police arrest 10 climate activists before protests

2019-10-05T162816Z_2_LYNXNPEF940CX_RTROPTP_4_CLIMATE-CHANGE-BRITAIN.JPG

Police officers stand guard outside Lambeth County Court, during a raid on an Extinction Rebellion storage facility, in London, Britain October 5, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested 10 climate change activists in London ahead of a planned new round of protests by Extinction Rebellion on Monday, police said.

A Reuters photographer said he saw police using a battering ram to break down a door and enter a former court building that was used by Extinction Rebellion to store equipment.

A spokeswoman for London's Metropolitan Police said seven women and three men had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to cause public nuisance.

Extinction Rebellion said the arrests represented an "escalation of pre-emptive tactics by the government and police" and was a sign that it was considered a "significant movement" by the authorities.

"We ask that the government focus their attention and resources on responding to the climate and ecological emergency which threatens us all," it said in a statement, calling for donations of kitchen and sound equipment, food and tents and other items to replace material seized on Saturday.

The group staged 11 days of protests in London in April that disrupted public transport and roads.

On Thursday, Extinction Rebellion activists used a fire engine to hose red liquid at the British finance ministry's headquarters in London to draw attention to what they said was the government's failure to avert climate disaster.

(Reporting by William Schomberg and Simon Dawson; Editing by Alexander Smith, Hugh Lawson, William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-06

53 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

OZ is considering checking the unemployed benefits status of disruptive protesters. 

I doubt they’ll do that in the UK, the last thing Illiberals want is data to disprove their baseless accusations that people who protest are unemployed and or welfare scrounges.

Refer this thread for examples of such baseless claims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I doubt enough of Brexit dwindling supporters would turn up to block a bus stop.

But you could give it a go.

572AC4BB-BE98-4E46-A005-B5376EDF8D45.jpeg

Why would any of us do that sort of thing...?

Well I certainly wouldn't....

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Likely arrest will not be upheld by the court for this "inchoate offense."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/inchoate-offences

• A person is guilty of attempting to commit an offence under the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 (CAA 1981), Section 1(1) if they do an act, which is more than preparatory to the commission of the offence, with the intention of committing an offence.
  • In each case it is a question of fact whether the accused has gone sufficiently far towards the full offence to have committed the act of the attempt. If the accused has passed the preparatory stage, the offence of attempt has been committed and it is no defence that they then withdrew from committing the completed offence.
  • When examining if the accused has passed the ‘preparatory stage,’ the approach is “to look first at the natural meaning of the statutory words” - R. v. Jones, 91 Cr.App.R. 351, CA, applying R. v. Gullefer, 91 Cr.App.R. 356, CA.  It is important to consider whether the defendant had actually tried to commit the act in question or whether he had only got ready, or put himself in a position, or equipped himself to do so: R. v. Geddes [1996] Crim.L.R. 894, CA.

It appears that the accused were within a legal private area and not gathered in public. There is no mention of a warrant to enter the premise.

More than mere "suspicion" must be met for arrest.

The UK has laws that provide for Freedom of Assembly (https://www.legislationline.org/topics/country/53/topic/15) and in the subject arrests the assembled parties were not on public property.

All the police had to do was gather in the public area in front of the facility to send a message to those people gathered inside the facility that there might be the potential for criminal public nuisance.

Instead I believe the police acted prematurely and violated without legal foundation those people's right to assembly within the facility.

Based on the information provided I agree with you. Problem is though that the information provided is often not the full story.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People exercising their democratic right to peacefully protest.

The usual suspects triggered to their usual response.

There is nothing peaceful about these dangerous anti social activities. They are preventing emergency vehicles pick up people to takevthem to hospital. They are 'disturbing the peace'. They are 'preventing people going about their lawful business'. And in the parlance of this modern generation: they are scaring people, are upsetting people, diminishing safe spaces and creating micro aggressions. The demonstrators are elitist white racists who speak only for the white middle classed and want to prevent economic development in the third world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

People exercising their democratic right to peacefully protest.

The usual suspects triggered to their usual response.

Are they muslims ,  up setting the peace, in rural England ..

Enough Powell , come back .. 555

Edited by elliss

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I absolutely do recall the poll tax demonstrations, those that lead the glorious moment of Thatcher being caught sneaking out the back door of No. 10, not those of the Wat Tyler Peasants’ Revolt she failed to learn from.

At the time I was a post graduate student at Edinburgh and had a front row seat to the idiocy of Thatcher trialing the poll tax on the Scottish.

The demonstrations against the poll tax are an example of the power of collective action.

I was involved in the don't pay movement in the UK at the time. Still owe money I'm guessing, I know I never paid.

Was there in London when it kicked off, no where near where it all happened though.

• Like 1