How old is too old to Drive ??

EVENKEEL

So, I was getting my license renewed, and I saw this guy coming out from vision test. He was old and frail, old like he had 2 handlers to make sure he was OK when he stood up old. He had no business getting a license, none. I know jokes can be made but I'm serious when I say he didn't belong on the road.

How will we know when It's time to give up driving? Do we first stop driving at night, then only when traffic is the least. I mean how will this work?

• Like 1

Maybe that very old frail looking man  you see when driving license renewing needed only that license only for owning a car or motorbike while someone else driving it for him , but keeping  the owners position .... (playing his "money investment card" safe …)

Edited by david555

I think that the practice in many countries whereby after the age of 70 0r 75  a medical certificate is necessary on an annual basis, certifying the ability to drive, should be introduced also in Thailand. Very few people admit to themselves that they are still capable of driving safely, and carry on doing so, until it is too late.

• Like 2

In the Uk your license expires at 70 yrs old and and a new test is taken and repeated every 3 years.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/travel-hobbies/driving/#

I thought it eventually became a yearly renewal but apparently not ( if the above link is correct ).

My father stopped driving at age 85 ( or thereabouts ).

Despite our constant suggestions that he was too old to drive he stubbornly refused.

With the aid of a GP we managed to convince him that his driving days were over, it was the doctors word that finally made him stop .

It’s sometimes hard to tell a loved one the truth.

Best if you decide for yourself to hang the keys up and not wait for the family intervention.

I believe it used be age 65 in the uk but has been changed to age 70 now ( sometime in the last 10 years going by my dl that I renewed this year ).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Maybe that very old frail looking man  you see when driving license renewing needed only that license only for owning a car or motorbike while someone else driving it for him , but keeping  the owners position .... (playing his "money investment card" safe …)

Flawed argument: A license is not required for ownership of a vehicle. 

For anyone who's been here long enough - its pretty obvious the 'good old boy' will soon be spotted pottering along a highway in a beaten up old pickup at 40kmh before he randomly changes lanes to the right most lane and continues pottering along at 40kmh 2km before a U-Turn. 

I like the 'reaction test' suggestion - everyone should have it, it should be part of the licensing procedure. 

Self regulation is a great idea, however the society we live in is not civilized enough for this, it will not work:

- How many of 'you' think you are fine when you are not?

- How many of you still drive when hungover, or with a stinking cold or the flu?

- How many still drive after drinking beers and think they are ok because they are not blind drunk ?

If we are honest, how many times have we driven when we know we really shouldn't have, how many of us don't really recognize when we shouldn't be driving?

What alternatives are there plays a huge roll in this decision. 

IF out in sticks the decision not to drive removes any independence which in itself can be hugely damaging to the psyche. 

In the countryside in the UK public transport not sufficient and relying on taxi's too expensive for someone mobile yet perhaps too old (slow reactions) to safely drive. 

My father still plays Golf a few times a year, but I think his driving is too dangerous, he hasn't yet recognized that he needs to take things a little more slowly, especially on the country lanes where closing speeds are 100mph (two cars passing at 50mph). 

In Thailand its even worse, the absence of taxi's in the countryside is an issue.

So, when someone of age decides to 'hang-up his driving boots' what alternatives are there?

In Bangkok there are plenty of Taxi's and Grab Taxi. 

In Pattaya there is the Baht Bus and Grab, also in Chiang Mai. 

But what about in other areas?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

This is nothing to laugh about. Try it yourself: https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Kimi Raikkonen was timed with 141ms, I only could achieve 245ms. Find your score and maybe you should rip your drivers license apart.

Shiit, I only managed 266, but that's after a very big rum drink. ????

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

I think that the practice in many countries whereby after the age of 70 0r 75  a medical certificate is necessary on an annual basis, certifying the ability to drive, should be introduced also in Thailand. Very few people admit to themselves that they are still capable of driving safely, and carry on doing so, until it is too late.

Start with the reaction test for Thailand for everybody, that would eliminate traffic by 50%.

I agree with Richard Smith. It isn't the age number but the reaction times and such. I think after arbitrarily say 70 a yearly actual hands on driving test should be conducted to insure that age hasn't affected reaction times, visual acuity etc.

• Like 1

Just now, fxe1200 said:

Not bad, as long you do not drink behind the wheel...

Never. I'm very anal about such things, having lost several friends to drunk drivers. Also, I drove a taxi for a couple of years, so I get it.

2 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:
4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Shiit, I only managed 266, but that's after a very big rum drink. ????

Not bad, as long you do not drink behind the wheel...

I'm going to have to loosen up with a drink... I haven't had a drink for a coupe of weeks - I scored 323ms... 

So, in defense of my shockingly poor results I'll have to run with another line of defense, its also about spatial awareness of our surroundings and predicting the unpredictability of others. 

This is nothing to laugh about. Try it yourself: https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
Kimi Raikkonen was timed with 141ms, I only could achieve 245ms. Find your score and maybe you should rip your drivers license apart.

I’m not saying how much I scored but I’ve cut my license into a hundred pieces and pushed the car into the klong!!
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, stevenl said:

A license is not required for owning a car.

But maybe needed to get it insured , or simplest way having a car under ownership and let drive him around by ...wife  girlfriend , family but keep it under his ownership control 

Edited by david555

My mother was still driving at 91 and she had to do the driving test every year. Not really a good driver but did not have any accidents even though she drove 5 days a week, She was smart enough to only drive on local roads she knew well. I had no fear being a passenger with her.

Edited by GreasyFingers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In the Uk your license expires at 70 yrs old and and a new test is taken and repeated every 3 years.

Once you reach the age of 70, your licence expires, but this doesn't automatically mean you have to stop driving. You just need to renew your driving licence if you want to continue. You'll need to renew it every 3 years after that. Renewal is free of charge.

There is no test involved.

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

My mother was still driving at 91 and she had to do the driving test every year. Not really a good driver but did not have any accidents even though she drove 5 days a week, She was smart enough to only drive on local roads she knew well. I had no fear being a passenger with her.

But I think you would be feared  driving with many farang 3 weeks party millionaires on their visit ….????

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flawed argument: A license is not required for ownership of a vehicle. 

For anyone who's been here long enough - its pretty obvious the 'good old boy' will soon be spotted pottering along a highway in a beaten up old pickup at 40kmh before he randomly changes lanes to the right most lane and continues pottering along at 40kmh 2km before a U-Turn. 

I like the 'reaction test' suggestion - everyone should have it, it should be part of the licensing procedure. 

Self regulation is a great idea, however the society we live in is not civilized enough for this, it will not work:

- How many of 'you' think you are fine when you are not?

- How many of you still drive when hungover, or with a stinking cold or the flu?

- How many still drive after drinking beers and think they are ok because they are not blind drunk ?

If we are honest, how many times have we driven when we know we really shouldn't have, how many of us don't really recognize when we shouldn't be driving?

Self regulation as you say, is a great idea, but who regulates the regulator?

I haven't driven a vehicle in Thailand for almost five years, for two reasons. One, I didn't feel safe on the road. I didn't at the time consider myself to be a bad driver, it was the actions of the clowns I had to contend with each and every day. The other reason was high blood pressure. The cause? Driving. Seriously.

Four years ago I spent some time in the UK, and felt quite comfortable over the many miles of town and country driving. Last year I spent some more time in the UK, and again considered myself quite in control and capable while driving. To prove the point, my sister has a blood pressure M/c at home, and on my arrival at her home in the UK after having driven for over three hours on UK roads, the blood pressure was normal. On my return to Thailand I don't drive. So yes, I have regulated myself and will not drive here again. The reason now is my age. At 79 I believe I still have all my faculties, my fitness and reaction time is more than acceptable, and i would like it to stay that way for many more years, if possible.