New train link to town

SidJames

I saw something on the news about it yesterday, they listed all the stations but I can't remember them, what I do remember is that when they said it would be going at 250km/h I thought there's no way I'm getting near it, they manage to regularly have collisions with the ones going 50km/h already!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I thought there's no way I'm getting near it, they manage to regularly have collisions with the ones going 50km/h already!

Of course it will have it's own fenced/elevated track.

Mostly elevated on pillars.

No buffalo in the way.

I would use it from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya if it costs 120 Baht or less :biggrin:

I tried to find exact details about the route to no avail.

Some rough schematics show it like running along Sukhumvit.

Hard to believe and a nightmare for the construction period.

Anything else than a station close to the existing route on the eastside (east of Sukhumvit) would surprise me. Maybe along/parallel to the new motorway to Sattahip?

Edited by KhunBENQ

It is being built by the Charoen Pokphand Group.  They said that it will be tied in with a huge new mall development they are planning to build.  A 480,000 sqm complex in Pattaya somewhere.  I googled around but have not been able to figure out where that will be.

https://insideretail.asia/2019/07/05/charoen-pokphand-group-to-build-pattaya-mall/

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-national-news/news-asia-thailand/high-speed-rail-link-from-bangkok-to-pattaya-green-lighted/

If you think Pattaya has grown too big too fast already you haven't seen anything yet.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

It is being built by the Charoen Pokphand Group.  They said that it will be tied in with a huge new mall development they are planning to build.  A 480,000 sqm complex in Pattaya somewhere.  I googled around but have not been able to figure out where that will be.

https://insideretail.asia/2019/07/05/charoen-pokphand-group-to-build-pattaya-mall/

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-national-news/news-asia-thailand/high-speed-rail-link-from-bangkok-to-pattaya-green-lighted/

If you think Pattaya has grown too big too fast already you haven't seen anything yet.

That's interesting. Having the ability to relocate the current station gives CP a clear commercial advantage which they will no doubt use to their full advantage.

Their recent land purchase was noted as being in South Pattaya, but no precise location. Could they possibly have gone for the large plot at the corner of Sukhumvit and Khao Talo? This has been mooted for many years as a prime spot for a  new shopping centre - Carrefour was heavily touted a good few years back before they pulled out of Thailand in 2010. It is also fairly close to the existing rail track, which, based on the EECO article, may be used for the new line.

Time will tell and a spike in local land prices will likely give the game away. But not before those in the know have made the usual killing.......

Oh boy another mall ,Pattaya needs it so badly,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Henryford said:

Don't worry we will all be long dead before it's finished. Plus the station will be so far out of town that no one will use it.

The main article says it will be operational in 2023 or 2024, so whilst we will not all be dead, many will be.

The coach buses from the Bangkok airport/s to Pattaya is not really a proper mass road transport system for independent travelers, so the majority of independent travelers have to hire a private car.

If this train comes to fruition, that's a lot of out of work drivers and unused cars.  I'm guessing the Pattaya station will be just far enough out town that tourists / expats will need a taxi, and all the operators will collude to charge something like 500 for 5 kilometers to make up for their lost revenue.   

On 10/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Of course it will have it's own fenced/elevated track.

Mostly elevated on pillars.

No buffalo in the way.

I would use it from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya if it costs 120 Baht or less :biggrin:

I tried to find exact details about the route to no avail.

Some rough schematics show it like running along Sukhumvit.

Hard to believe and a nightmare for the construction period.

Anything else than a station close to the existing route on the eastside (east of Sukhumvit) would surprise me. Maybe along/parallel to the new motorway to Sattahip?

Finbd route, form a company, buy up the surrounding land.  Retire

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What about all the private cars and drivers aka taxis?

Surely reducing their numbers is good, although it is what I use. My home is not central so for an airport run, I drive there and taxi back. But, for example, if I lived in a VT neat Threppasit/Thrappaya, I would be on those Rung Ruen coaches. A similarly convenient train would get me on it too if less than 1/2 the price of a taxi.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely reducing their numbers is good, although it is what I use. My home is not central so for an airport run, I drive there and taxi back. But, for example, if I lived in a VT neat Threppasit/Thrappaya, I would be on those Rung Ruen coaches. A similarly convenient train would get me on it too if less than 1/2 the price of a taxi.

Of course less traffic on the roads is preferable. 

Less traffic means less accidents involving injuries and death, and less pollution, which is better for the environment.

It's sad that every day hundreds of private cars and drivers (taxis) pick up only one tourist from a hotel, and take that tourist to the airport, and the same for arriving tourists.  Only one tourist per car, each way, is inefficient, but lucrative for drivers and operators.   

I am all for better mass transport from the Bangkok airports to Pattaya, but my question is, what will become of the hundreds of drivers and their cars? 

I have put forward one idea that officials may implement to keep these people employed, and keep them from blockading and protesting, but who knows?