Longer term expat question -- have you burned your bridges or were they burned by others?

Jingthing

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Air bnb has made expensive rental contracts obsolete.

AirBnB rentals can only be used as "holiday" rentals, not as a permanent stay, in Flanders.

Permanent stay is 3 months guarantee.

I go now end of this month to Belgium for 2 months, I stay at the Belgian coast in a seasonal rental apartment,

no problems because I paid the 2 months in advance and my principal residence is Thailand.

Those rules may of course be different somewhere else.

I haven't burnt all my bridges yet as I still have a rickety suspension bridge I'm keeping to skip back to OZ to secure the pension and once that's done I'll have a nice little bon fire and bid the land down under a fond farewell!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

16 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I haven't burnt all my bridges yet as I still have a rickety suspension bridge I'm keeping to skip back to OZ to secure the pension and once that's done I'll have a nice little bon fire and bid the land down under a fond farewell!

I trust you have done all the research w.r.to Centrelink, the ATO, and Medicare.

Bear in mind hospitals here will cost an arm and a leg if anything serious happens to you. Keep your options open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If I'm forced to go back I'd survive, probably just rent a small condo. You have to play with whatever cards life deals you.

Then I would say you have not burned  all your bridges and still have a small one just in case. Good for you:smile:

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

AirBnB rentals can only be used as "holiday" rentals, not as a permanent stay, in Flanders.

Is that a law? After the first month I would ask the landlord if we can continue monthly but outside of Air bnb , no point paying them commission. The arrangement is cash in hand for the landlord so cant see anyone knocking that back

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

Is that a law?

I can go on visit to Belgium many months, stay at an Airbnb, or seasonal renting place, but my permanent living place will still be Thailand. 

If I want to move again permanently to Belgium, I can buy a property, or than renting. 

When renting, 4 months rent has to been paid in advance in Flanders. 

3 months in Wallonia.

T.I.B. ???? 

This is law. I will only be registered as living in Belgium again if there is a contract stipulating I paid the 3 months guarantee (Flanders). 

Edited by luckyluke

21 minutes ago, madmen said:

Is that a law? After the first month I would ask the landlord if we can continue monthly but outside of Air bnb , no point paying them commission. The arrangement is cash in hand for the landlord so cant see anyone knocking that back

Probably you will not be able to register yourself with the authorities. Unless the owner of the Airbnb agrees with this. If you rent long term, and the owner agrees that you will register yourself with that address than it is not really an Airbnb anymore.

You can of course stay a long time in a country without registering yourself. But without registered address you will not officially live there. 

• Like 1

Ive been away since 2002, living in North Africa,  The Middle East and Asia. I kept my links with the UK, return home to my flat for two months a year, drink at the same pubs, with the same people  shop at the same corner shop etc. My modest income stream remains UK based as does my property base. I have not burnt my bridges and nobody could against my will.

• Like 1

I think age has a lot to do with it. It's one thing if you are young like this guy, you can get established and settled in another country if desired, and it will become normal and natural to you.

Doing it later in life...wouldn't consider it. Would never burn my bridges now...not when older. There is no place like home. Especially if health issues creep in with age. To each their own though.

Pretty much burnt. 30 years abroad, half my life.

3-4 friends but only one good one left.

I've a friend my wife and I could stay with but he's in California and I don't want to settle back there $$$. An uncle I might be able to rent a condo from for cheap. A few cousins I might be able to stay with a few months. My elderly mother, but family drama with useless drama queen brothers. But in a pinch. Have some good banking connections still.

Credit rating long disappeared. No credit cards. Hate credit.

Looking at Florida. Wish I could settle on an island state like Utah or Idaho. But taxes and NO beach

Edited by Number 6

3 hours ago, nakluapattaya said:

I did burn my bridges by accident, and i regret it. As i was 22 years old when i came to stay for 4 years on a ED visa back then.

When i came back to my own country at age 26, all my former friends had reached an age of not going out anymore, stuck at home with their GFs, babies, became full blown wage slaves, stuff like that. As i wasnt around for 4 years they werent much interested in rebuilding the relations. They already had replacements from work, fitness, etc. I got rejected by just about everybody. THB it hurted, got a bit depressed feelings from that. The older you become it also seems to be harder to (re)build relationships, find friends. Im pretty lonely now here at a young age. So my bridges in life are actually in Thailand now, besides my family. Luckily is visit my family often, and spend every year 3 to 6 months in Thailand now. And its OK. Prefered to have friends here as well, but life just became this way. Not much i can do about it now.

Don't feel down.

If the alternative is being some Babbitt wage slave with a fat wife and a bunch of little monsters you're ahead of the game.

You'll find someone..don't compromise. I was 49.

Just earn money. Save.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What do I mean?
It's more of an open ended concept.
It means different things to different people.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Burn you bridges is a well known saying with its origins in classic mythology and history pertaining to a Roman General's decision, when beating a retreat,  to burn bridges behind him  thus preventing his enemies catching him but preventing him from returning.

My bridges faded away over the last 35 years. Sitting on a PR but never gave up or changed nationality as "aliens" here remain what they are and never will become Thais. 

Have not visited my country of birth for almost ten years and have no dire wish to do so. Quite happy the way things are, specially when seeing, what happened to my "home" country. 

I live in a parallel society here with little interface to the local community as far as friendships or social interaction is concerned - and it seems to be quite OK for both sides. 

22 hours ago, taxout said:

Most other bridges are also financial. In particular, long-term expats tend not to be on the property ladder, and that can make returning to the US really difficult. Nobody wants to live in a trailer park.

The Aussie trailer parks (caravan parks) are not that bad at all.  A lot of them are at the beaches, and the people seem well behaved. In fact some of them like the ones near Bowen are booked years in advance.

I still remember a rustic caravan park near Dingo beach QLD and the oldies there....fishing and beer, fishing and beer....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How quickly you can rebuild the bridges with OZ depends on whether you have a family or assets here in Thailand. If I need to move back to OZ and I'm in good health I would do a Crocodile Dundee style walkabout - so many things to see, so many adventures possible ???? 

I stayed at an airbnb place in London for 6 months on a separate contract. Easily done, depends on the landlord

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Why did it happen? Did I want to lose it? No. If of course not. But keeping it current with the new real ID requirements at least in my state made that almost impossible. If I could have gotten past that with some games then I would have had to sign a document stating I'm a state resident but obviously I'm not. Isn't that a felony?

Exactly the same thing with me , I lost my UK license 6 years ago when it expired, could have signed a form that says I was living at my parents house & provided proof like utility statements (I have the same name as my Father) & bank statements (I use my Parents house for my Bank correspondence) but am not comfortable with lying to a Government agency (especially as I take great pains to be non-UK Resident for Tax purposes) plus I feel like I shouldn't have to if I'm doing things right (And I didn't have to, I should have transferred my license over to a Singaporean one within 6 months of getting here).

Other than that I've not burnt any bridges with the UK... 

• Keep in touch with family & a small number of friends (I visit 2-3 times per year so not just "electronically")
  • Kept my house (though it's rented out, so I couldn't return to it without notice but I wouldn't do anyway as I'd rent somewhere smaller & closer to family)
  • Kept up with state pension contributions (AVCs - Additional Voluntary Contributions), though I think this year puts me on 36 years which is 1 more than I need for maximum state pension 
  • Kept my bank accounts & credit cards 

Things I don't do because I don't live in the UK...

• Renew my driving license (As above)
  • Add anything to my tax free saving schemes (ISAs)
  • Rely on NHS when I visit (I always take out an annual travel insurance policy, I travel so much that I do this anyway, the fact it covers me when I'm in the UK is a bonus)

I could do all 3 of the above but again, I try to do things the right way if for no other reason than that way I know how things (are supposed to) work.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

Why would anyone want to give up their citizenship ????

So that they would not have to comply with the rules and regulations of that country , or they might have moral objections. Meny do it to escape taxation.

Why would anyone want to give up their citizenship ????

It's an extreme step but the main reason for US nationals seems to be to divorce from US tax and treasury department filing obligations that are considered by many to be unreasonable and onerous. Very few countries bother their expats in that way. Obviously you need another passport to do that. Personally I never would do that although I would be interested in a second passport.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app