SURVEY: Will the carnage continue?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the Carnage continue?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Are you familiar with the term "red herring"?

Basic per capita measures show Thailand is second only to Libya in terms of deaths per 100,000 people on the roads.

The problem is driver education. My Thai GF is a safe driver now, because I put time and effort into training her. The incompetent Thai driving instructor she first went to should have gone back to growing rice.

It's no use trying to pretend Thailand does not have a huge road safety problem. If face is more important to Thais than acknowledging reality, then yes, the carnage will continue.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

India

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

29 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Take a pull on yourself.Stop denying the obvious.Stop boring the planet with your obvious 'what aboutism"

The stepdaughter lost a close friend last week-alcohol,speed and stupidity.

Sorry here that. But Meechai ask a question about my quote. I answer the true thing.

They have more dead people from car crash. India and China 300,000 each. USA 37,000.

is true. 

And this poll? Is serious? Or just try to get everyone complain more.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Until there is intensive driver training and active policing of bad road behaviors and vehicle condition I don’t think that we can expect any improvement. The low interest rates on large and relatively powerful cars/pickups tied with lack of skill and experience will continue to frustrate the road to improvement.

Heavy fines, vehicle confiscation and jail time for the serious offenses need to be employed. Need to hit them where it hurts.

Intensive driver training will mean nothing, driving requires about 80% common sense, and that is just not in the Thai mentality. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's no use trying to pretend Thailand does not have a huge road safety problem. If face is more important to Thais than acknowledging reality, then yes, the carnage will continue.

Who deny? I just put the world number for reader information.

I not deny anything. 

I not deny is thailand problem, problem every country. Every country people die. 

I happy self drive car come quickly.

Most of the world death road is because of men. Idiots.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Intensive driver training will mean nothing, driving requires about 80% common sense, and that is just not in the Thai mentality. 

i think 100% better

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, mrfil said:

After a bit of time out of the city its really become apparant just how messed up the people are in Bangkok who drive that way. Outside its a bit more relaxed and people are a bit more considerate. In BKK its really out of control. Without any policing other than the comedy checkpoint for tea money outside the police station for an hour a day, what do you expect. 

Dont expect it to get better anytime soon!

Riding my motorbike in Bangkok, I have found that the driving and riding is of a much better standard than in the cities, like Phichit, Rio Et, Nakhon Sawan etc. That is just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

they are 3 now

2 are probably Yinn and the farang guy posed as Yinn

and the third is an old chap who has done a misclick

Must be optimistic! 

Who is the farang guy posed as Yinn? User name? I have a friend! After 5 months play TVF!

And the old guy! Team Yinn! 

I admit. One is me. 

Will the other admit? 

Have rain today. Drive slowly and use lights for safety.

If Euro people not drive fast, why all the euro cars can go 200-300 km hour?

For what? 

i think the car maker should stop making this cars fast. Just make 120km enough. 

200+ is danger. 

My solution safe life sure!

Just now, Yinn said:

For what? 

i think the car maker should stop making this cars fast. Just make 120km enough. 

200+ is danger. 

Germany has "autobahn" and there is no speed limit.

"More than half of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one third has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary or conditional limit. Some cars with very powerful engines can reach speeds of well over 300 km/h (190 mph)."

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

No Yinn, not the USA, I have driven over a lot of it with no issues at all.

I can only assume it is partly because of good policing. 

Drive from say Nakhon Sawan to Pattaya, then drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from

San Francisco to Los Angeles. both about the same distance. There is no comparison at all.

Though it has to be said that the PCH is a much higher standard of road.

Just now, Yinn said:

For what? 

200+ is danger. 

In Thailand many folk who ride a Honda Click do not know how to be safe, nothing to do with speed.

In western countries there are maximum speed limits, if you break them you will pay a hefty fine, plus may lose your license.

Thailand does not have hefty fines or staff out there on the roads controlling road use.

I have been here many years driving, I can tell you that near every day I see something ridiculous on the roads. I do not like driving in this country....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Germany has "autobahn" and there is no speed limit.

"More than half of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one third has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary or conditional limit. Some cars with very powerful engines can reach speeds of well over 300 km/h (190 mph)."

So crazy!!!!!!!!

unbelievable!

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No Yinn, not the USA, I have driven over a lot of it with no issues at all.

I can only assume it is partly because of good policing. 

Drive from say Nakhon Sawan to Pattaya, then drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from

San Francisco to Los Angeles. both about the same distance. There is no comparison at all.

Though it has to be said that the PCH is a much higher standard of road.

In the US the highway system is separated from commercial activity such as retail etc.. There is an entrance to the highway, and an exit , there is nothing in the highway but cars, pedestrians or bicycles  are not allowed, not only there is a maximum speed limit, but there is a minimum speed limit, vehicles traveling slower that 40 mph are not allowed in most highways. 

Part of the problem as far as accidents are concerned  in Thailand is that  there is other than driving activity in the highway system, there are restaurants, stores people walking, people crossing the highway, dogs, cars going int business,cats coming out of business   etc. 

Though a lot of it is very convenient and enjoyable, it is also very dangerous.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

So crazy!!!!!!!!

unbelievable!

They have those cars here too...But your "crazy" really relates to who is behind the wheel driving...In Thailand, you have similar accidents with basic cars and pickups, daily........????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Sorry here that. But Meechai ask a question about my quote. I answer the true thing.

They have more dead people from car crash. India and China 300,000 each. USA 37,000.

is true. 

And this poll? Is serious? Or just try to get everyone complain more.

I think everyone understands when we talk about the worlds most dangerous roads that have the highest amount of road deaths it is not based on a simple number but a number per population

similar to this

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-with-the-most-car-accidents.html

For instance

The World Health Organization estimated 22,941 people die each year in traffic-related incidents in Thailand,

You say USA has 37,000 ok

But

USA Population is 327 MILLION

Thailand Population is 69 MILLION

327/69=4.73

USA would need 22,941x4.73 deaths or 108,510 deaths per year to match Thailand's bad road record

Or to make it simpler for you the USA for the same amount of population

has 7823 deaths compared to Thailands 22,941

But I think you knew that ????

Edited by meechai

46 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Who deny? I just put the world number for reader information.

I not deny anything. 

I not deny is thailand problem, problem every country. Every country people die. 

I happy self drive car come quickly.

Most of the world death road is because of men. Idiots.

The world number is irrelevant. Road deaths per 100,000 people is not.

Thailand has 32.7 road deaths per 100,000. Norway has 2.7, and they have to deal with icy roads. Thailand also fudges the statistics, because deaths not at the accident scene don't get to be counted.

I have to agree in general, women are safer drivers than men. But we are not all idiots, OK?

I shudder every time I see a young Thai on a scooter or motorbike haring down the road at 100 km/hr, without a helmet or eye protection. They only have to have an insect in the eye, or a tyre blowout, to become a potential road death. Perhaps that's why about 80% of the road deaths in Thailand are on two wheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

In the US the highway system is separated from commercial activity such as retail etc.. There is an entrance to the highway, and an exit , there is nothing in the highway but cars, pedestrians or bicycles  are not allowed, not only there is a maximum speed limit, but there is a minimum speed limit, vehicles traveling slower that 40 mph are not allowed in most highways. 

Part of the problem as far as accidents are concerned  in Thailand is that  there is other than driving activity in the highway system, there are restaurants, stores people walking, people crossing the highway, dogs, cars going int business,cats coming out of business   etc. 

Though a lot of it is very convenient and enjoyable, it is also very dangerous.

You're talking about the interstate system as in I 5, I 95 and so forth which are limited access roads and they do allow motorcycles you also have regular highways that do not have minimum speed limits and allow bicycles and pedestrians. Just clarifying

43 minutes ago, Fred white said:

You're talking about the interstate system as in I 5, I 95 and so forth which are limited access roads and they do allow motorcycles you also have regular highways that do not have minimum speed limits and allow bicycles and pedestrians. Just clarifying

as far as the minimum speed limit ,I did say "most" I did not say all i said Most..

about bicycles I don't know any highway that allowed it, but I have not being everywhere. All that I know do not. 

Nonetheless to the extent that they restrict They are much safer than in Thailand where most have no restrictions of limited use..

Just an observation and not the only reason for increased accident rate in Thailand. 

Edited by sirineou

Which choice did you vote for? 

When counting road deaths - Is it not true that Thailand only count people who die on the road - In the “rest of the world” they include people who die up to 8 days ( ?) later

One would expect China to have more consider its higher population ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Obviously carnage isn't really an issue.

Intelligence is also not an issue.

In England, when we get angry about bad driving, we expect police to go out and give bad drivers a proper headache. Some folks get a bit miffed because they go over the top - but the overall effect is beneficial. Generally, people at least TRY to be consistent and have rules that make sense.

You know, stupid little things like having an entrance here and an exit further up the road - rather than having an exit to drive past before you get to the entrance so the traffic can suffer even more disruption simply by pulling in and out of a car-park...

In Thailand, we have nothing to do with 'police' and 'police' are nothing more than simple civil servants paid small salaries to do certain jobs (mostly not what we would really expect) - such as collecting money and consolidating control of the elite.

We see them set up truck stops, but we continue to see black smoke emitted from trucks and busses - so that's not an issue.

We never see them pull over cars for driving badly - so that's not an issue.

Thailand won't see an improvement until self-driven cars/scooters/bikes become a thing of the past. That won't happen because the elite enjoy having super-cars and doing <deleted> they like, and exercising their power to do it without consequence.

• Thanks 2