Showing id when at thai post office

ubonr1971

I sent a registered letter to the UK last month  they didn't ask for ID...the time before that they said  they needed to see my passport but excepted  Thai drivers licence, time before that they  would except only a passport ..I had to go home and get it !

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Since the early 1970s most post offices required ID from foreigners for international mail due to drugs being shipped overseas. 

What about for Thai people? I'm sure no Thai people have ever done that because they're all great honourable citizens,

I live in Chiangmai and for regular letters domestic ou or oversea they ask nothing.

As a proof, you can buy  stamps and post the letter in a mailbox .

For regisered and EMS and Package , I need to show my ID

• Like 1

Is this a spoof thread?

I've been sending registered and non-registered mail to the UK from four different post offices in Pattaya for the last 15 years and have never been asked for ID, nor has anybody else I know here.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, Orton Rd said:

More idiocy posing as security

Really? I worked for US  Postal Service ( not window clerk) but after 9-11 you have to show ID if mailing a package/envelope of 16 oz that goes by air as it might contain an explosive. Mostly they just ask for ID for anything.  They will not take a letter at (the widow) or deliver some letters from mail boxes if no return address. Some contained Anthrax in the past.

Edited by Tony125

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

What confuses me is having to show ID to get a monthly pass for the BTS 

That's a safeguard against money laundering, although I don't know how. I also doubt that anyone spending a few hundred baht on transport would choose that method to launder hundreds of thousands of baht, but Thai logic says it's a possibility.

12 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Really? I worked for US  Postal Service ( not window clerk) but after 9-11 you have to show ID if mailing a package/envelope of 16 oz that goes by air as it might contain an explosive. Mostly they just ask for ID for anything.  They will not take a letter at (the widow) or deliver some letters from mail boxes if no return address. Some contained Anthrax in the past.

Thailand requires ID to send anything. Except when they don't, which is the way every 'official' organisation works here. No-one knows the rules and/or makes up their own. A friend of mine was asked for ID to send a Christmas card to the UK. I doubt that was a terrorist threat. It's all about control, nothing else, with logic and common sense completely absent. Soon we'll need ID to get a haircut.

There appears to be many variations throughout Thailand on posting mail. From my experience here in rural Khon Kaen Province, my local post office, which I regularly use, NEVER asks for any ID for any mail other than for a packet or parcel. Letters sent by ordinary, registered (international) or EMS (within Thailand only) post are accepted and processed without ID. All that IS required is my name and address on the reverse side of the envelope. It appears to be so much easier living "out in the sticks".