OA Visa extention if cannot get insurance

1 hour ago, losername said:

You make a good point.  I have been worrying about the potential of trying to explain to an IO that my policy complies with their requirements.  During an idle evening a couple of days ago I went to the site of my current insurance company.  In my case this is Aetna (Thailand) - https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/.  This page includes four steps to arranging insurance for "Personal health Insurance for Long Stay Visa".  Steps 1 and 2 rather obviously are purchase insurance and insurance certificate sent to member.  Step 3 is "Aetna submits our member info at TGIA's portal database".  Step 4 is "Department of Consular Affairs and Immigration Bureau will verify those (sic) info at TGIA's portal database".  Rather optimistically I read from this that it is Aetna and not myself who will have to do the explaining to the authorities and who will have to justify the suitability of my policy.  Put simply, by the time I go to the office to extend my permission to stay, my policy will already be verified on the TGIA portal database.  Home and dry, yes?

IOs will not want anything explained to them about your policy. They will want a  signed, stamped certificate issued by one of the approved companies.  There is a standard wording certificate they are supposed to issue you. Make sure you have it and bring it with you. I would not count on an IO being willing to look something up in a database even if it is there.

If you are newly getting this policy make sure they will issue you this certificate before you buy the policy. If it is a policy you already hold that seems to meet the Imm criteria contact your broker or (if none) Aetna and ask for the certificate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

IOs will not want anything explained to them about your policy. 

Thanks for your response.  You are always well informed.  I remember you from the cave rescue threads.  I take the quote that I selected as good news.  Until I found the little four step Aetna explanation I did not understand how anyone could avoid IOs examining policies which, clearly, they would not understand.  Now I know about the TGIA portal database, it is much more clear.  I am not discussing my personal situation, fortunately I have time to achieve a satisfactory arrangement (if it is still required by then). 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wonder if this idea has been signed off by immigration. Someone who has been forced into a 400,000 cover policy, needing to find 300,000 himself, just don't sound sensible!  

It is if the entire point of this law is a shakedown.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, losername said:

Thanks for your response.  You are always well informed.  I remember you from the cave rescue threads.  I take the quote that I selected as good news.  Until I found the little four step Aetna explanation I did not understand how anyone could avoid IOs examining policies which, clearly, they would not understand.  Now I know about the TGIA portal database, it is much more clear.  I am not discussing my personal situation, fortunately I have time to achieve a satisfactory arrangement (if it is still required by then). 

Note that the Aetna website also clearly states that they will issue you a certificate.

I really would not put much stock in the database for incountry use (might possibly be used by Embassies and Consulates abroad).  What will matterto an IO  is having the certificate, on company letterhead, signed etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am afraid that this question already is out there, but is it possible to have a list of the Thailand insurance-companes that are approved to cover my extension or O-A VISA....

I would highly appreciate if somebody have that list or a link..

thanks in dvance,

glegolo

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Note that the Aetna website also clearly states that they will issue you a certificate.

I really would not put much stock in the database for incountry use (might possibly be used by Embassies and Consulates abroad).  What will matterto an IO  is having the certificate, on company letterhead, signed etc.

I mentioned the certificate in my post #19.  I am not putting "much stock" in anything.  As I said before "I am not discussing my personal situation".

The insurance companies will give you insurance with pre existing conditions.  Most will exempt those from the coverage.  Some will cover pre existing but increase the amount you have to pay for the insurance.  AXA has really good insurance you can get that will cover pre existing conditions but at a lower level of coverage.  The policy pays up to 74,000,000 per year but the first 2 years pre existing limit is 75,000 and after that it goes up to 150,000 per year.  But the insurance is EXPENSIVE.  At 73 for Asia zone coverage it is 492,669/year.  You can look at the attached file.  Plan 4 is much cheaper(but still expensive) but does not included pre existing or outpatient.

InternationalExclusive_EN.pdf

23 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I am afraid that this question already is out there, but is it possible to have a list of the Thailand insurance-companes that are approved to cover my extension or O-A VISA....

I would highly appreciate if somebody have that list or a link..

thanks in dvance,

glegolo

http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

But you should also look at Sheryl's "cheat sheet" thread and document, as it highlights the couple of companies out of the much bigger list whose policies probably are going to be the most suitable/applicable for expat retirees here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wonder if this idea has been signed off by immigration. Someone who has been forced into a 400,000 cover policy, needing to find 300,000 himself, just don't sound sensible!  

I don't think immigration will look at insurance policies, they just want the insurance certificate for their files. Has anybody seen the certificate issued by Thai insurers?

Mango Bob,

I have Tricare for Life also, plus medicare insurance and a Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan through Aetna.  1. Have you or anyone else here, submitted claims to Tricare?

2. since I have medicare insurance, parts A and B, can this be used as insurance for Non A-O visa                     requirements?

3. Do you or anyone else here know if my FEHB plan with Aetna, can be transferred to 

Aetna Insurance.Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have on this matter

12 minutes ago, Ej2562 said:

Mango Bob,

I have Tricare for Life also, plus medicare insurance and a Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan through Aetna.  1. Have you or anyone else here, submitted claims to Tricare?

2. since I have medicare insurance, parts A and B, can this be used as insurance for Non A-O visa                     requirements?

3. Do you or anyone else here know if my FEHB plan with Aetna, can be transferred to 

Ej

To answer your questions:

1.  I have been submitted claim to Tricare for 13 years here.  All inpatient and outpatient.  Had operations from replacing the joints in both knees, Aortic Valve Replaced and two Hernias.  All at Bumrungrad Hospital.

2.  No, it can only be used in the U. S.

3.  No I do not know but I doubt it very much.  Only those listed here can be used as far as I know.  http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

My plan if I don't do an O based on marriage is with Pacific Cross.  They have plans that you can take a 300,000 baht deductible and the cost is reduced by 50%.  Pacific Cross not paying is not a problem because Tricare will pick up everything the Pacific Cross does not pay.

Edited by Mango Bob

6 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Ej

To answer your questions:

1.  I have been submitted claim to Tricare for 13 years here.  All inpatient and outpatient.  Had operations from replacing the joints in both knees, Aortic Valve Replaced and two Hernias.  All at Bumrungrad Hospital.

2.  No, it can only be used in the U. S.

3.  No I do not know but I doubt it very much.  Only those listed here can be used as far as I know.  http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

My plan if I don't do an O based on marriage is with Pacific Cross.  They have plans that you can take a 300,000 baht deductible and the cost is reduced by 50%.  Pacific Cross not paying is not a problem because Tricare will pick up everything the Pacific Cross does not pay.

i believe the deductible is not allowed on OA insurance coverage, sheryl posted this was advised by PC in error

Just now, GeorgeCross said:

i believe the deductible is not allowed on OA insurance coverage, sheryl posted this was advised by PC in error

I talk to the agent at Pacific Cross and they told me that I could do it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

in reply to one of your posts on thi

This is from an email I received from Jamie Connell:  Potentially yes we can.  We can cover the 25% portion, that would yield a 50% discount on our base premiums, each claim would be on a pay and claim basis.  The other option is to do as you suggest and just take our Standard Extra plan with a high deductible to allow for an approved plan that meets the visa requirements.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should be able to do it. You need to ask them what their policy is. Some will insist you need a non-o visa entry to do it.

Since you are married to a Thai it is easy to get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

Ubonjoe, I don't understand why nobody can give us a definitive answer on being able to avoid the mandatory insurance by changing the extension of stay based on retirement to one based on marriage, even if the previous extension sprung from a Non-Imm O-A. Up until now guys have been changing from retirement to marriage with no difficulties, so why does everyone change the subject and start talking about leaving the country and coming back in on a Non-Imm O to avoid the insurance. It is perfectly clear in the new Police Order that the insurance only applies to extensions of stay based on retirement, so it would seem to me that someone could confirm that the easiest solution for a married guy is to just change from retirement to marriage to avoid the mandatory insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

But you should also look at Sheryl's "cheat sheet" thread and document, as it highlights the couple of companies out of the much bigger list whose policies probably are going to be the most suitable/applicable for expat retirees here.

Thank you so much..

glegolo

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

This is from an email I received from Jamie Connell:  Potentially yes we can.  We can cover the 25% portion, that would yield a 50% discount on our base premiums, each claim would be on a pay and claim basis.  The other option is to do as you suggest and just take our Standard Extra plan with a high deductible to allow for an approved plan that meets the visa requirements.

What is the date of that email?

I received this today from their International  Business Consultant  who previously said deductible could be used:

"Dear Sheryl,

Thanks for your email.

Just had a read through the posts mentioned.

We do not have deductibles for our Long Stay Visa plans. These plans were the only plans approved by immigration in April/May, but as of the most recent announcement any plan from a Standard Extra and above is approved.

Apologies for the miscommunication, this whole new OA visa is new to us too, and my colleague, Khun Tuenjai made a small mistake in that email. According to following posts, she corrected that misstatement by email on the same day to username OJAS.

We have daily meetings every morning regarding queries we receive everyday regarding this new mandatory health insurance. We are the market leaders in this respect, and have the most up to date information. Things are rolling, and every member of the sales department have to be present during these meetings."

Of course if not needing to meet the Imm requirement then you can get a deductible with any of their plans.

"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

We do not have deductibles for our Long Stay Visa plans. These plans were the only plans approved by immigration in April/May, but as of the most recent announcement any plan from a Standard Extra and above is approved.

I'm not sure I see that above email that you quoted, in and of it itself, saying that NONE of their O-A certified policies can have deductibles.

The actual wording seems to be saying what I've already mentioned, that their original three O-A Platinum policies had no provision for deductibles, but their subsequently approved general public policies Standard Extra and above do (allow deductibles).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure I see that above email that you quoted, in and of it itself, saying that NONE of their O-A certified policies can have deductibles.

The actual wording seems to be saying what I've already mentioned, that their original three O-A Platinum policies had no provision for deductibles, but their subsequently approved general public policies Standard Extra and above do (allow deductibles).

My question was not specific to the so-called O-A policies (not even sure what that means now that the normal products are also listed on their site as for O-A).

I have sent another email.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What is the date of that email?

I received this today from their International  Business Consultant  who previously said deductible could be used:

"Dear Sheryl,

Thanks for your email.

Just had a read through the posts mentioned.

Apologies for the miscommunication, this whole new OA visa is new to us too, and my colleague, Khun Tuenjai made a small mistake in that email. According to following posts, she corrected that misstatement by email on the same day to username OJAS.

We have daily meetings every morning regarding queries we receive everyday regarding this new mandatory health insurance. We are the market leaders in this respect, and have the most up to date information. Things are rolling, and every member of the sales department have to be present during these meetings."

Of course if not needing to meet the Imm requirement then you can get a deductible with any of their plans.

"

Who is  Business Consultant?

2 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

Mango Bob,

To have insurance that's going to meet the O-A visa requirement, several things have to apply if it's a foreign insurer:

-- the coverage amounts have to meet or exceed the specified minimums for IPD and OPD.

-- the insurer's executives have to sign and execute the Thai government's "foreign insurance certificate" document for the individual policy holder.

-- the ability to use a foreign policy to satisfy the O-A requirement MAY only apply for the first year -- not clear if they mean first year of the program, or first year of each person's O-A visa.

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My question was not specific to the so-called O-A policies (not even sure what that means now that the normal products are also listed on their site as for O-A).

They still list and offer the three high-priced, low-coverage, no deductible Platinum policies that were the original ones under the O-A program, as part of their now-broader list of O-A certified policy lines that includes all the other general public policy lines -- Premier, Maxima, Ultima, etc.

Pacific Cross has clearly and publicly said the Premier, Maxima and Ultima policy lines (along with Standard Extra) are all OA-certified, provided the policy holder doesn't opt out of OPD. All of those same policies also normally allow deductibles.

IF Pacific Cross is now saying that they won't allow deductibles for those policies when O-A certification is involved, I've yet to hear that or see that clearly stated by anyone at Pacific Cross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, travelerjim said:

Look at Pacific Cross...

Quote O-A qualified plan...

Get price for higher deductibles

Like 100,000...200,000...300,000

Brings costs way down with 300,000 deductible...

Makes policy affordable...

Though useless...IMHO

BUT allows one to keep their money in their home country earning $$

Thereby reducing cost of required insurance for the O-A.

FYI...Male age 61 asked on a post last night how much for O-A minimum requirements policy:

Male age 61
Pacific Cross policy for O-A minimum requirements:
0 Deductible 37,888 yr
20,000 Ded ..32,188 yr
40,000 Ded...28,401 yr
100,000 Ded 25,561 yr
200,000 Ded 22,721 yr
300,000 Ded 18,934 yr
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/quote-en/step2

And for age 75

FYI...age 75
Pacific Cross O-A standard extra plus policy
0 deductible 77,788 Thb
20,000 ded    66,116 Thb
40,000 ded    58,338 Thb 
100,000 ded  52,504 Thb
200,000 ded   46,670 Thb
300,000 ded   38,892 Thb

Just an idea which may help some.

Tj

I was insured with Pacific Cross at age 65 with a premium of 52,000B 40,000 deductible. The following year my premium skyrocketed to 73,000B with same deduction. Told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Recently got a new quote from them online through a agent, 120,000B at age 67 with same deductible. Honestly, how many expats are going to have 200,000 or 300,000 laying around for that rainy day. Health Insurance companies are leeches waiting for their next pray, and they will find the smallest loop hold in the contract to weasel out of paying out.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I was insured with Pacific Cross at age 65 with a premium of 52,000B 40,000 deductible. The following year my premium skyrocketed to 73,000B with same deduction. Told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Recently got a new quote from them online through a agent, 120,000B at age 67 with same deductible. Honestly, how many expats are going to have 200,000 or 300,000 laying around for that rainy day. Health Insurance companies are leeches waiting for their next pray, and they will find the smallest loop hold in the contract to weasel out of paying out.

Which Pacific Cross insurance did cost 73k with 40k deductible when 66 years old? It's much smarter to skip the outpatient entirely and get 20% off and 0 deductible. Then pay cash for eventual OPD cost. 

27 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Which Pacific Cross insurance did cost 73k with 40k deductible when 66 years old? It's much smarter to skip the outpatient entirely and get 20% off and 0 deductible. Then pay cash for eventual OPD cost. 

yes it is.. but not too smart if want it for immigration purposes!

• Like 1