Lights in series, Dim or brighten one seperately

Polarizing

Hi wise thaivisa people

I have 8 dimmable LED lights connected in series, I want all of them to behave the same way except one, what is the best way to achieve this?

Is it better to seperate that light from the serie, and connect a smart plug with the light? How do I even connect a light without a plug to a smart plug? Anyone know?? :))) Please help yayyy

Thankssssss

Are your lights really connected in series? Or are they actually in parallel on a single switch?

Are they 220V or 12V LED units?

Screw-in lamps or something else (could you use a smart-bulb)?

What do you actually want to do?

EDIT Some photos of what you have would be useful.

EDIT 2 If you remove one lamp do the others stay on?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Are your lights really connected in series? Or are they actually in parallel on a single switch?

Are they 220V or 12V LED units?

Screw-in lamps or something else (could you use a smart-bulb)?

What do you actually want to do?

EDIT Some photos of what you have would be useful.

EDIT 2 If you remove one lamp do the others stay on?

The lights aren't installed yet, but the previous setup was indeed everything on a single switch. So I guess it would be parallel, since you guys are saying it is very uncommon. 

I have 7 lights on the ceiling and one on the wall (actually its not wall but some bricks, I want to drill a hole and put the light in let it shine upwards) acting as a "moodlight". They are all 220v leds, specifically these https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32935106621.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70c64c4drgz8xQ

I want my technician to install a neutral wire and so I can dim them using koogeek dimmer. However, I wish I can control the light on the wall seperately! What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks so much for the replies so far ????

Just run a separate pair from your "mood light" to wherever you are going to install the dimmer. Use a 2 channel dimmer if you want to control the strings individually.

I don't know the koogeek dimmer but bringing a neutral to the dimmer location is a wise move.

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just run a separate pair from your "mood light" to wherever you are going to install the dimmer. Use a 2 channel dimmer if you want to control the strings individually.

I don't know the koogeek dimmer but bringing a neutral to the dimmer location is a wise move.

Thanks for your input, but I rather have a single switch and it would be very impractical to install that. Probably have to break the wall open for some extra cable space and I rather have not too many switches. (Already have two for the living room.) What if I put in a philips hue bulb for the moodlight? Will that work or will it mess up things with my dimmer?

EDIT: what if I install a non dimmable led as a moodlight, will it mess up with the dimmer?

So what do you actually want to do?

One switch controlling what exactly? (is it a switch or a dimmer)

You cannot feed a dimmer from a dimmer, you cannot feed a smart lamp from a dimmer.

You could install the koogeek unit next to your mood light, you just then run a hot and neutral to that position.

7 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

Thanks for your input, but I rather have a single switch and it would be very impractical to install that. Probably have to break the wall open for some extra cable space and I rather have not too many switches. (Already have two for the living room.) What if I put in a philips hue bulb for the moodlight? Will that work or will it mess up things with my dimmer?

EDIT: what if I install a non dimmable led as a moodlight, will it mess up with the dimmer?

What 'mood' are you trying to create?

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

So what do you actually want to do?

One switch controlling what exactly? (is it a switch or a dimmer)

You cannot feed a dimmer from a dimmer, you cannot feed a smart lamp from a dimmer.

You could install the koogeek unit next to your mood light, you just then run a hot and neutral to that position.

33 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What 'mood' are you trying to create?

I want one dimmer to control 7 lights, and one seperate moodlight. The dimmerswitch is near my front entrance and if I press it with a button, I wish to have all the lights on (including the moodlight) However, I want to program things so I would be able to say "siri, turn off the main living room lights" with the result of the moodlight remaining ON. 

The dimmer and the moodlight is very far away and would be impractical to run a new hot and a neutral to from the dimmer. However, I would consider it if it is my only option.

Considering the replies, I think the question transformed into: Is it possible to connect a smartlight in the same circuit. As Crossy said, I cannot feed a smartlight of a dimmer, so probably not. Or is it better to connect the smart moodlight to seperate nearby outlet? And program it so when the main living room lights are on to turn the moodlight on as well (not sure if thats possible haha).

All smart bulbs or two switches/dimmers. 

The nice thing about smart bulbs is you can create “scenes” like a theater set rather than thinking in terms of what bulbs you want to do what each time. Mixing smart bulbs and dumb bulbs on a switch can lead to everything going full bright when you turn the switch on— normally you just leave the switch on all the time, and use the app for control. 

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

All smart bulbs or two switches/dimmers. 

The nice thing about smart bulbs is you can create “scenes” like a theater set rather than thinking in terms of what bulbs you want to do what each time. Mixing smart bulbs and dumb bulbs on a switch can lead to everything going full bright when you turn the switch on— normally you just leave the switch on all the time, and use the app for control. 

Thanks for your input so I think if I connect a smart light to a nearby socket would solve my problem if I can connect the dimmer and bulb in homekit and program a line or two like (if main living room light is not dimmed to 0%, turn moodlight on) (not sure if its possible, but I will try hahaha)

2 hours ago, Polarizing said:

I want one dimmer to control 7 lights, and one seperate moodlight. The dimmerswitch is near my front entrance and if I press it with a button, I wish to have all the lights on (including the moodlight) However, I want to program things so I would be able to say "siri, turn off the main living room lights" with the result of the moodlight remaining ON. 

The dimmer and the moodlight is very far away and would be impractical to run a new hot and a neutral to from the dimmer. However, I would consider it if it is my only option.

Considering the replies, I think the question transformed into: Is it possible to connect a smartlight in the same circuit. As Crossy said, I cannot feed a smartlight of a dimmer, so probably not. Or is it better to connect the smart moodlight to seperate nearby outlet? And program it so when the main living room lights are on to turn the moodlight on as well (not sure if thats possible haha).

What you want to do is certainly possible though not cheap at all.

I assume that you have a dedicated iPad, iPhone, HomePod or Apple TV to act as your connection to your devices. And the Home app.

The expensive but simple and most reliable way is to dump the dimmer, have 8 Philips Hue bulbs a bridge and probably one or more switches.

The next way is to see if you can get Lifx bulbs here, they are on Lazada 

I currently have 8 Hue bulbs and they are extremely versatile and can do precisely what you have asked for and much more

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

What you want to do is certainly possible though not cheap at all.

I assume that you have a dedicated iPad, iPhone, HomePod or Apple TV to act as your connection to your devices. And the Home app.

The expensive but simple and most reliable way is to dump the dimmer, have 8 Philips Hue bulbs a bridge and probably one or more switches.

The next way is to see if you can get Lifx bulbs here, they are on Lazada 

I currently have 8 Hue bulbs and they are extremely versatile and can do precisely what you have asked for and much more

yep I understand that installing smart lights make it all easily possible, however personally I don't like the look of the philips hue bulbs, too big in diameter for me and had some eye strain when it wasn't diffused, it looks good when diffused tho! The koogeek dimmer is homekit compatible, do you think i can make scenes with that combining one hue bulb?

I have two smart switches that control conventional lights,  I also have a ceiling fan that is wired three ways and could not figure out the wiring  to install a three way smart switch, (there is one wire that is the currier wire, and so far I cant figure out which one it is) anyway, on that ceiling fan I have three smart LED  bulbs, that also change colors' .  Each smart switch and  smart bulb can be controlled individually, (they all have distinct names , I also have created three groups with also their own distinct names . One group controls every light in the living room (to turn all light on at ones), one controls only the two smart light switches, and one group controls only the fan smart light bulbs. 

Sounds complicated but it is not. If I can do it on my own, anyone can do it.  All can be manually controlled from the switch panel, like normal lights, via smartphone app  , Alexa app. or voice control  Echo dot.

They can be controlled via the internet from anywhere in the world, or set schedules for lights to go on at dusk and off in the morning. 

Of Course you need internet and wifi

There are also smart plugs  for controlling appliances. or lamps. 

All except echo dot can be purchased on Lazada  I hope this information is of help.

7 hours ago, Polarizing said:

The koogeek dimmer is homekit compatible, do you think i can make scenes with that combining one hue bulb?

I don’t know. I have Philips Hue bulbs, Hub, motion sensor and a couple of switches, so I don’t know about other systems. 

You probably need a Hue bridge to allow a Hue bulb to be controlled, and then you can certainly use the Hue dimmer switch.

7 hours ago, Polarizing said:

I don't like the look of the philips hue bulbs, too big in diameter for me and had some eye strain when it wasn't diffused,

Which Hue bulb? There are 4 different styles 

C16B17C3-9856-4091-9F39-B110E3EAF3A0.jpeg.354026fecc88499d8cfad3721047f85f.jpeg192FE969-2BC2-44A0-A92E-7F56D159303B.jpeg.a9f0fc135a5f32f89dc92aba6f037415.jpeg

As a side note  for "geeks"  ???? ... if you have a  "Tuya" based device  ( see Koogeek  mentioned there )

https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/wiki/Compatible-devices-(HTTP-firmware)

you can ( with quite a bit of faffing around and other hardware )

install "other" software ( Sonoff Tasmota  being popular choice)

that allows you to control the appliance without sending commands over the internet

(to China)

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Tuya-Convert-Escaping-the-IoT-Cloud-no-solder-need-4284830.html

1 hour ago, johng said:

As a side note  for "geeks"  ???? ... if you have a  "Tuya" based device  ( see Koogeek  mentioned there )

https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/wiki/Compatible-devices-(HTTP-firmware)

that allows you to control the appliance without sending commands over the internet

(to China)

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Tuya-Convert-Escaping-the-IoT-Cloud-no-solder-need-4284830.html

Smart bulbs are a moving target. There are some that you don’t need a hub for, Yeelight, Hue Bluetooth etc. Some that need Chinese servers aqara, and quiet a few more

Here is a recent article

13 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

The Ikea smart bulbs are also an option... not as good as Hue, but does the job.

as long as they are siri or homekit compatible, I will consider them!

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t know. I have Philips Hue bulbs, Hub, motion sensor and a couple of switches, so I don’t know about other systems. 

You probably need a Hue bridge to allow a Hue bulb to be controlled, and then you can certainly use the Hue dimmer switch.

Which Hue bulb? There are 4 different styles 

I only have experience with the E27 one and I read somewhere that the new hues do not need a bridge anymore? hmm, however I think it will be neccesary for scenes.

9 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Should you not be able to do it using a battery back-up?

Sorry, what is a battery back up? haha

8 hours ago, johng said:

(to China)

So I can controll my dimmer with a tuya device (what is that? lol) without being connected? Sounds very very interesting! I might PM you later if I am about to implement that in my setup, oki mai kaaappp?

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Smart bulbs are a moving target. There are some that you don’t need a hub for, Yeelight, Hue Bluetooth etc. Some that need Chinese servers aqara, and quiet a few more

Here is a recent article

yeah, exactly what I am looking for. All those hubs will make my life complicated, do you have any experience with those and what are the cons vs the hubbed equivalent?

DAMN guys, thanks so much for  all the input, it is really interesting and you guys are helping me with my poorly developed ideas!

16 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

The Ikea smart bulbs are also an option... not as good as Hue, but does the job.

as long as they are siri or homekit compatible, I will consider them!

They are not.

I only have experience with the E27 one and I read somewhere that the new hues do not need a bridge anymore?

The white Hue globe I posted is E27, I have one outside at the moment. There are Hue Bluetooth bulbs available.

I’m probably going to get at least 1 Yeelight on the 11/11 sale that claims HomeKit, Hue Bridge comparability 

11 hours ago, Arjen said:

I mean, receiving I can more or less understand, as there are in a reguraly base updates. And always something changes, and always improvements. 

The data sending I do not really understand. 

interesting, they might be using your data! o___O

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The white Hue globe I posted is E27, I have one outside at the moment. There are Hue Bluetooth bulbs available.

I’m probably going to get at least 1 Yeelight on the 11/11 sale that claims HomeKit, Hue Bridge comparability 

i dont feel like bluetooth is the way to go, less reliable (my bt is not always on, etc.)

I heard that the yeelights are homekit + wifi, sounds like good stuff, let us know if it anygood when you have it!

On 11/9/2019 at 5:48 PM, Polarizing said:

So I can controll my dimmer with a tuya device (what is that? lol) without being connected? Sounds very very interesting! I might PM you later if I am about to implement that in my setup, oki mai kaaappp?

If your dimmer is a Tuya device ( Tuya are the Chinese manufacturer)  you can hack it and install different software

which allows you to connect the device  (and control it)  to your own server instead of the  manufacturers server

( in China ? )..so everything is kept within your own Wifi network...therefore you don't need an internet connection to control the device..but you can control it over the inter if you wish to.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s just arrived and working with the “Home” app after updating the firmware.

@sometimewoodworker, great I got three so thats very nice to hear! ???? Don't have wifi in my home yet so gotta wait.

However, I have a new question. Today I got my dimmable leds installed with the keegook smart dimmer. The keegook dimmer needs a neutral to operate, so the technician wired a neutral from the box to the dimmer. However, my dimmable leds are connected without a neutral, The leds have two little cables connecting to the wire, the technician said one is "fai" (I think hot), one is "din" (I think ground). It is working, but I wonder... is it correctly installed? Is there some lazyness involved? Maybe lazy to pull the N to all the leds? 

I hope that I explained my situation clearly haha...

5 hours ago, Polarizing said:

However, I have a new question. Today I got my dimmable leds installed with the keegook smart dimmer. The keegook dimmer needs a neutral to operate, so the technician wired a neutral from the box to the dimmer. However, my dimmable leds are connected without a neutral, The leds have two little cables connecting to the wire, the technician said one is "fai" (I think hot), one is "din" (I think ground). It is working, but I wonder... is it correctly installed? Is there some lazyness involved? Maybe lazy to pull the N to all the leds? 

I hope that I explained my situation clearly haha...

It’s extremely unusual to have it wired that supposed way. In all probability it line and neutral, though with thai electrical installation anything is possible.

Archived