Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Hang in there-  I have a feeling when the dust settles; the complaints go into the Foreign Ministry and  western embassies send diplomatic notes- all of a sudden the grandfathering of O-A Visa holders will occur.

Yeah theres such a track record of that kind of thing happening.. 

Hang in there-  I have a feeling when the dust settles; the complaints go into the Foreign Ministry and  western embassies send diplomatic notes- all of a sudden the grandfathering of O-A Visa holders will occur.

Since you will be doing your extension in Jomtien- there are other ways to get it done which I am sure you are aware already.

To be quite honest, I , also am getting real tired  of constant changes, uncertainty and just plain the constant targetting of the expat community. 

The Thai insurance companies would be very disappointed if that happens. So who wins? Foreigners or Thai financial interests? Hmmm. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Thai insurance companies would be very disappointed if that happens. So who wins? Foreigners or Thai financial interests? Hmmm. 

One can always hope.  My main irritation is we never have any advocate who can sit down with those in power and attempt to lobby for our position.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There is no way these people can obtain any insurance presented by the authorities on the long stay website.  Making this rule apply to these people is cruel, unfealing and just plain wrong.

But aren't we being overly dramatic here?

Such people need only leave Thailand without a -Re-Entry permit to kill off that problematic O-A started, Permission Of Stay, that has been extended based on retirement. The process of then converting a Visa Exempt Entry is not overly difficult, nor expensive, and then Extensions, not obligating insurance, can then be obtained. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

But aren't we being overly dramatic here?

Such people need only leave Thailand without a -Re-Entry permit to kill off that problematic O-A started, Permission Of Stay, that has been extended based on retirement. The process of then converting a Visa Exempt Entry is not overly difficult, nor expensive, and then Extensions, not obligating insurance, can then be obtained. 

You might want to watch the video I posted above on latest development.

Yes, O-A can be killed off quite easily but getting a O visa for retirement purpose is going to be difficult in the future. I imagine they are trying to plug the loophole.

Current O- visa holders will be exempted though.

Edited by EricTh

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The guy in the video is just guessing about what might happen, he can't give any precise advise

The law has not been set yet so everyone is guessing but he is a lawyer and he seems to have checked with the embassies and Thai immigration with the most possible future outcome.

What he says is reasonable because it just doesn't make sense to impose health insurance on OA visa and everyone just change to O visa to avoid the insurance. Then who would bother to apply for OA visa in the future for retirement purpose?

I think immigration is trying to plug the loophole but the law hasn't been set yet because it needs time to be passed.

Edited by EricTh

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You might want to watch the video I posted above on latest development.

Yes, O-A can be killed off quite easily but getting a O visa for retirement purpose is going to be difficult. I imagine they are trying to plug the loophole.

Current O- visa holders will be exempted though.

I see speculation more than latest development... 

If what he claims is happening, the ability to convert a TV or Visa Exempt Entry into that of an Non-Imm-O Entry, as a precursor to pursuance of a Retirement Extension, would have to be eliminated. He really does not go into this... and it is a very well used path to living and retiring here. 

I may well be 'grandfathered' having a Non-Imm-O starting point. That is until I either forget a Re-Entry permit one day, or even go below 400,000 in the bank for a day. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I see speculation more than latest development... 

If what he claims is happening, the ability to convert a TV or Visa Exempt Entry into that of an Non-Imm-O Entry, as a precursor to pursuance of a Retirement Extension, would have to be eliminated. He really does not go into this... and it is a very well used path to living and retiring here. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought non-imm O is only issued for a certain purpose. Yes, you can convert from tourist visa to Non-imm O based on a certain reason eg. marriage, retirement.

What that lawyer is saying is that the Non-imm O visa will probably not be issued based on retirement purpose anymore.

When you try to extend the non-imm O after 3 months for purpose of retirement in the future, they will reject it because you need to get non-imm OA instead. That is what I understood.

Edited by EricTh

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

When you try to extend the non-imm O after 3 months for purpose of retirement, they will reject it because you need to get non-imm OA instead. That is what I understood.

That does not make sense, the conversion to a Non-Imm-O Entry, in country, is for the very purpose of seeking a retirement extension later. There would be no reason nor basis to issues it. If that were to happen, I would be in agreement. 

Edited by jacko45k
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Overly dramatic? 

I agree an elderly person may have difficulty, but I only see a need to travel out and back into Thailand on a Visa Exempt, no obligation to visit an Embassy or consulate. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That does not make sense, the conversion to a Non-Imm-O Entry, in country, is for the very purpose of seeking a retirement extension later. There would be no reason nor basis to issues it. If that were to happen, I would be be in agreement. 

The video said that non-Imm O can be issued for a variety of reasons such as marriage or guardian and not just on retirement.

The problem now is that there are two types of visas based on retirement which is confusing to many people. They might restrict to just one type of visa in the future.

Edited by EricTh

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The video said that non-Imm O can be issued for a variety of reasons such as marriage and not just on retirement.

I am discussing one obtained in country! 

When they stop issuing them based on retirement, and an order is issued saying they cannot be issued for retirement extension purposes, I would have a change of heart. 

Actually, in the past, retirement extensions have been issued on Non-Imm-Os, that were actually issued for completely different purposes.... (i.e. not retirement).  There is no written rule preventing this.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

The law has not been set yet so everyone is guessing but he is a lawyer and he seems to have checked with the embassies and Thai immigration with the most possible future outcome.

What he says is reasonable because it just doesn't make sense to impose health insurance on OA visa and everyone just change to O visa to avoid the insurance. Then who would bother to apply for OA visa in the future for retirement purpose?

I think immigration is trying to plug the loophole but the law hasn't been set yet because it needs time to be passed.

The laws are all set, published and have been discussed and dissected for months.. Where have you been. 

This 'lawyer' has consistently been incorrect in his guesses at how it would be implemented, so far from an accurate source who has checked with embassies and immigration its just a guy guessing, who has been wrong multiple times so far. 

• Like 2

Overly dramatic?  A person comes to Thailand 20 years ago when they were 60 with an O-A now they are 80 and are told they need an insurance policy which no one will sell them and it has to be from Thailand.  Their peace and comfort are now ruined .

Some elderly people have trouble travelling but now somehow they have to find a Thai Consulate who will issue a Non O based upon retirement.  Why should they be forced to do this. They lived in peace for 20 years with a proper Visa and extension.

Whoever dreamed up this scam without any grandfathering is ineed cruel, unfeeling and worse.  

People need to understand precisely how fragile an annual review of thier permission of stay truly is. 

If your too weak, and have no support network to travel to obtain a new visa, you shouldnt be here !! This isnt the place for that level of dependency, its not the west, fairness doesnt come into it, its the developing world, with coups, currency issues, corruption and risk. Its not for the frail and infirm. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The laws are all set, published and have been discussed and dissected for months.. Where have you been. 

This 'lawyer' has consistently been incorrect in his guesses at how it would be implemented, so far from an accurate source who has checked with embassies and immigration its just a guy guessing, who has been wrong multiple times so far. 

He's been wrong on some big things but right on a big thing as well. Previously he thought by now that the insurance requirement would apply to all on retirement status -- O and O-A based. That was wrong (so far). But he was correct based on reports that people with O-A based extensions (prior to Oct. 31) are facing the requirement. The party line here was that was not going to happen! But it is happening. So give him some credit for that.

38 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I'm glad I sold my condo at the beginning of the year. Something tells me the number of units coming on the market will rise significantly and the number of foreigners willing to buy will fall ... Probably the number of Thai buyers will shrink too if they want to see where prices settle.

I was looking at a pretty extravagant build (villa, 5 rai of gardens, etc etc) and this whole thing is making me think there may be a lot of retirement places coming on to the market.. Probably not the higher end but I do see that as an effect I need to watch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He's been wrong on some big things but right on a big thing as well. Previously he thought by now that the insurance requirement would apply to all on retirement status -- O and O-A based. That was wrong (so far). But he was correct based on reports that people with O-A based extensions (prior to Oct. 31) are facing the requirement. The party line here was that was not going to happen! But it is happening. So give him some credit for that.

The party line here was baffling in how anyone could read the order and maintain it didnt say what it so clearly says. I had posts removed and even a thread closed as fake news, for posting exactly what has happened. Why that was the TVF groupthink was baffling to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

I don't get where you're coming from. Sorry what's so clear to you was not so clear to almost everyone else. If you're such a visa God that can predict every enforcement detail that might flow from major visa rule changes maybe start your own youtube channel. 

Sorry.. This IS obvious.. Things often get haphazard enforcement, but I cannot understand how this can be read with such certainty that it would do the opposite of what it is saying. 

OA-Rules.jpg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Sorry.. This IS obvious.. Things often get haphazard enforcement, but I cannot understand how this can be read with such certainty that it would do the opposite of what it is saying. 

OA-Rules.jpg

You said the magic word, dude.

ENFORCEMENT.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Really a mess made even worse by all the speculation. I still think O-As shoulde be grandfathered to the conditions that applied when they first entered.  

What you said is true, the O visa issued after 31 Oct might not be grandfathered. 

Unfortunately, O-A visa are most probably not grandfathered as well judging by some of the reports coming into this forum except for one case.

So the only choice left is to do an education visa which some people seem to be switching to but that seems to have perils too because most foreigners find Thai language challenging.