Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, bannork said:

It's great that Mildred's found an activity she loves, Owl. At the very least she's doing something she really enjoys.

Back to the rain, my favourite subject. Back in June the meteorological office predicted a dry July 

Well that didn't turn out too well thank god, and now at the beginning of August we've had 4 days of almost continuous rain.

How are the ponds, Owl, and your own charts? Is this year turning out to be an exception to your records of declining rainfall?

Too many power cuts this year, one now and there hasn't been any wind to speak of.Perhaps the electric boys are on strike in sympathy with MF being kicked out of the coalition. After all they all wear orange!

We don't know what lies in store for us at 13 years old. I'm pleased she has found something she has a talent for and sticking with it. The teenagers in the village don't seem to do anything constructive. Just charge about on these electric bikes most of the time; it seems to me. And when their bikes are being recharged; it's time for the mobile.

Rain!! The last 30 days have been as they should be. Although a couple of real heavy downpours have caused havoc with the rice fields. We have had our share in the village. Pond one is full. So full, in fact, that that it has been running back down the overflow into the paddy. So had to break the bank and let some water out today.. Didn't finish 'til 17-45 this evening. And there is more to do tomorrow. I'll post some pics in the week.

Thai politics!? Can't say there is anyone I know in the village that is really interested. Most are just surviving financially and don't know what's going on. Is Thaksin coming home?

But back to your favourite subject. What do the meteorological office know? Any forecast longer than a couple of days in front is a guess. I'll settle for another two months like rainy July.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

In the best part of three years, it has gone from a wooden hut to a fine building.

Apart from a bit of tidy up on mainland, the whole thing is just about finished. All that's left now is a donation box, and some fish.

25 pics in all show the progress. Sometimes racing ahead. At other times very slow.

Nice post Owl.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, 4MyEgo said:

My wife doesn't give them "Jack", and naturally I asked come one day, "honey" why don't you give them something....huh, they have hands and feet and can work, instead of always asking for money on the village people for this or that, um....ok "honey" that sounds logical......love you ???? :omfg:

This what you wrote is your own thinking and absolutely NOT your wifes words. How I can tell? well it shows how little you really know about both buddism as well as thai culture and life.... So make up stuff goes well together with this thread, but portrait monks and people that way you do, shows only where you come from yourself - falang-country somewhere out on the countryside...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

This what you wrote is your own thinking and absolutely NOT your wifes words. How I can tell? well it shows how little you really know about both buddism as well as thai culture and life.... So make up stuff goes well together with this thread, but portrait monks and people that way you do, shows only where you come from yourself - falang-country somewhere out on the countryside...

Why not tell us a little about Buddism Glegolo?

My take is that it reflects life, nature, humans and our bodies. We plan, we build, we maintain and we destroy. It's an ongoing cycle of everything, from the universe to the cells in our bodies.

But on the upside; didn't I get it right in the footy opener? I forecast 1-2, and Sheffield Owl agreed. Hope he had a few bob on the score.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:42 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Nice post Owl.

Thanks Mutt.

In these uncertain times, a bit of encouragement, keeps us at it. So easy to slide into a meaningless loop of waking up, doing nothing, and going back to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Where have all the 'signatures' gone?

They have been removed, whether temporary or permanent i am not sure, seems like some were abusing the signature option to further their agendas !

There was a thread about it around a week ago.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 2

Okay Owl, that's enough rain. Is it 6 or 7 continuous days now?

Are your ponds full now? 

I know the Thais have an ancient rite to ask the gods for rain in a drought, namely put a cat in a cage, parade it round the village as people throw water at it.

But what to do when asking the gods to stop the rain?

Apparently one has to find a virgin who must plant lemon grass at all 4 corners of one's house. 

Now assuming a virgin means a chaste woman over 18 years old,  I have to say there are none in my village. The opposite in fact, there were rumours a 13 year old was up the spout last month.

Not surprising with the kids driving motorbikes from 10 years onwards.

Anyway Owl, if you know any virgins with some spare time, give me a shout 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

But on the upside; didn't I get it right in the footy

Hmmm, not sure Owl. You got the score correct but you were due to tell us the origin of my teams name but I don't think you got round to it. Or did I miss the answer.????

Of course, the answer should include the date the club was founded.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:53 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My girlfriend Champu always told me they are called Champu. 

Our beautiful cat is also called Champu. I'm always referring to her as Poo. but now I see the correct spelling.

385072867_poocat.png.8c7b3449e828384419af4ab796545cfa.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Hmmm, not sure Owl. You got the score correct but you were due to tell us the origin of my teams name but I don't think you got round to it. Or did I miss the answer.????

Of course, the answer should include the date the club was founded.

The Wednesday were originally a cricket club. But some of the players liked to play footy. The only day they could get together was Wednesday; when they had a day off. 'The Wednesday' name, hung about to 1929, when they changed it to what it is now.

Not sure about the date originally formed; about 1890 I reckon. I'll look that up, and report back. Or better still Owl; post the answer.. You are sure to know.

• Like 1

Just looked it up.

''''On the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867, a meeting was held at the Adelphi Hotel to establish whether there was interest among the club's members to form a football club to keep the team together and fit during the winter months. The proposal proved very popular, with over 60 members signing up for the new team on the first night. They played their first match against The Mechanics on 19 October the same year, winning by three goals and four 'rouges' to nil.''''

Courtesy of Wiki.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The Wednesday were originally a cricket club. But some of the players liked to play footy. The only day they could get together was Wednesday; when they had a day off. 'The Wednesday' name, hung about to 1929, when they changed it to what it is now.

Not sure about the date originally formed; about 1890 I reckon. I'll look that up, and report back. Or better still Owl; post the answer.. You are sure to know.

As you say, the club was first formed in 1820 is the general consensus although there is some evidence that it was formed in 1816 which would put it just a year after The Battle of Waterloo. And you're right again Owl, it was a Cricket Club where the players found time to play as that was their day off or half day off. It was The Wednesday Cricket Club. 

Jump forward to 4th September 1867 where it was decided at the Adelphi Hotel in Sheffield to branch out into football where that would enable the players to stick together over the winter months and to also keep them fit.

I'd personally much prefer to return to The Wednesday Football Club and there was a poll conducted on a fans forum which showed that we were in the minority, not like it would ever happen anyway.

Our original nickname was The Blades, not a lot of people know that. That changed at some time after  we moved home to Hillsborough, or Owlerton as it was more commonly know then and visitors more or less changed that by common usage and the presentation of an Owl mascot to the club around 10 years after moving in there.

We are currently the 4th oldest league club due to Wrexham entering the league proper now and Notts County being still out of the league proper. Sorry, stop that, we're 5th again due to Notts County being back in. Interesting to see Crystal Place now laying claim to being older than Notts County, that is a load of old cobblers from cockney spivs though.????

And of course, the oldest league club, independent of any other influences is Sheffield Football Club. Strangely enough the second oldest club is Hallam FC which also hails from Sheffield, based in the Crosspool area. I think Hallam also have the oldest ground in the world as well.

https://www.hallamfc.co.uk/index.php/club-news/265-join-the-1860-members-club

https://sheffieldfc.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

As you say, the club was first formed in 1820 is the general consensus although there is some evidence that it was formed in 1816 which would put it just a year after The Battle of Waterloo. And you're right again Owl, it was a Cricket Club where the players found time to play as that was their day off or half day off. It was The Wednesday Cricket Club. 

Jump forward to 4th September 1867 where it was decided at the Adelphi Hotel in Sheffield to branch out into football where that would enable the players to stick together over the winter months and to also keep them fit.

I'd personally much prefer to return to The Wednesday Football Club and there was a poll conducted on a fans forum which showed that we were in the minority, not like it would ever happen anyway.

Our original nickname was The Blades, not a lot of people know that. That changed at some time after  we moved home to Hillsborough, or Owlerton as it was more commonly know then and visitors more or less changed that by common usage and the presentation of an Owl mascot to the club around 10 years after moving in there.

We are currently the 4th oldest league club due to Wrexham entering the league proper now and Notts County being still out of the league proper. Sorry, stop that, we're 5th again due to Notts County being back in. Interesting to see Crystal Place now laying claim to being older than Notts County, that is a load of old cobblers from cockney spivs though.????

And of course, the oldest league club, independent of any other influences is Sheffield Football Club. Strangely enough the second oldest club is Hallam FC which also hails from Sheffield, based in the Crosspool area. I think Hallam also have the oldest ground in the world as well.

https://www.hallamfc.co.uk/index.php/club-news/265-join-the-1860-members-club

https://sheffieldfc.com

Very interesting Owl

I used to write for a Sports mag back in the day, and I just love the trivia of football. Although not at all trivial to the individual clubs.

Only a couple of years back (due to yourself) did I investigate where the 'Pigs' came into the frame. Still not sure on that one. But I got it wrong about the 'Owl' nickname. I thought for years it was because of an actual Owl in the early 1900s, but it could be the move to Owlerton.

Got a great new question for tomorrow. Midlands club this time.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another great Sunday post Owl.

Seems like things are back to business, hopefully peace is restored to the Owl household.

Thanks Andy.

Leeds at home to Cardiff later today. They don't travel well. Easy win for The Peacocks. I'd like to see them change back to royal blue and gold.

There is peace of sorts. I've whistled twice now for my afternoon 3in1 cup of coffee. Don't want to shout out. Would be unbecoming (as another Andy once said). Just have to wait til the wife has finished watching GOT7 on TV. Wish i could be tough with these ladies; like other men.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Its been raining pretty much all week here in north Kalasin. Can't remember what the sun looks like.  We waited for the anticipated rainy season before planting the Taipei grass, but the rain didn't arrive on time so the missus was watering it twice a day. She's happy now cos she doesn't have to water the garden anymore (at least for a while anyway). Hopefully, another couple of months and the grass will give full cover.

Unlike Owl, I have driven into Udon once a week for the past couple of weeks to get my phone sorted at the Samsung service center. All good now, but a long way to drive to get a phone fixed. A month ago I also paid a visit to go to Index. On the way back I was driving through rain from Kumphwapi to Wangsammo. There was the most amazing lightening storm that I have ever seen all along the route. My wife was terrified and demanded that I turn off the music. I have no idea as to the logic behind that. She kept pulling up her jacket to cover her face as the lightening bolts flashed in front of us. I just never stopped smiling. It was so beautiful. 

Made my own coffee before writing this. ???? My wife has no idea when I would like a tea or coffee unless I am working, so it's up to me. Should I get the whip out?  

Been to your area a long time ago Garry. Went to one of the many beautiful mango farms that adorn the area. You certainly get more rain south of the Sakon Nakhon road than we do to the north.

Mrs Owl doesn't like a storm also. Covers her eyes and ears. I love em.

Make me own coffee or tea? What???? Sends shivers down me spine thinking of it. I had 4 sisters and they would say; "This kitchen is girl-talk area. Get out." And when I later got married, I had four daughters, and they would say; "You are making the kitchen untidy. Get out" To be honest, I'm scared of the kitchen. Good job Mrs Owl understands. But in saying that, she can be a tad slow making the drinks. The other morning I waited from seven to gone ten o'clock. Got fed up with whistling. So to teach her a lesson, I hid the remote. Only stumbled on it when Mildred came home from school. That'll teach her; I thought.

There are better ways of keeping women in check than using the whip Gary lad. Keep a 20 baht note showing from yer shirt top pocket. That'll focus her. Works for me. Do anything to get their hands on it.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Will be a good test for the new manager and to be honest Leeds should win this easily, Cardiff were close to the bottom at end of last season.

Not sure if the men here treat their ladies as they claim !! 
“ treat em mean, keep em keen “ is a fantasy for most fellas I’m sure and usually said down the pub when the lady of the house is not present !

Three very good teams went down from the EPL last season. I think it is possible that the same three will come straight up. Don't think that has happened before. If not automatic; then Foxes. Peacocks and Saints will all make top 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

a/ Named after a local playground.
b/ Named after the founder of the club's wife's first name; Lady Molineux Sabille.
c/ The area had links to Molineux District in France, Going back to 1800s.
d/ Molineux is French for 'great arena', and it was thought appropriate to name the ground thus.

I'll go with "B" please Owl, which is a pure guess and I refuse to google it.