Dogs in the countryside--Do you just not wander after dark?

FawnsGhost

13 minutes ago, mlkik said:

One thing I miss about the UK is being able to go for pleasant walks in the countryside at anytime of the day.

Here you take a real risk especially at night. I used to go for walks during the day and carry a stick.However that will only scare the dogs that bark ,it will not be of much use to the dogs that do not bark but snarl and bare their teeth in preparation for biting.

They sense (or smell) your fear.

I'm never scared of dogs, and they never bother me.

Pick up a stick or rock, don't be afraid to use it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They sense (or smell) your fear.

I'm never scared of dogs, and they never bother me.

Pick up a stick or rock, don't be afraid to use it.

Being always on your guard with a stick or a rock for me is not a pleasant walk .

11 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Being always on your guard with a stick or a rock for me is not a pleasant walk .

Being 'on guard' is an everyday feature of life that many people have forgotten.

Makes you an easy victim, never a good idea to appear that soft.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Scares the dogs but no harm done".

No harm done until someone mistakes it for the real thing in the dark or the police see her waving it about in public or someone reports a farang woman with a gun!

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not only Illegal to own but also illegal to have in public. 

Hey, Ratcatcher, what did you find so sad about those two comments of mine that were 100% factually correct?

19 hours ago, JWRC said:

Dogs don't change their habits just because it's nighttime, they will still jump out of bushes during the day. The fear is in you, the only thing to fear,  is fear itself.

Take to carrying a stick, it might help you beat off human attackers as well.

Dogs judge the power of their opponent by their bark. If you bark louder and deeper at them, they cack their pants. Works for me.

• Like 1

Never look away from the leader or turn your back Rocks are ok, a stick is ok. Yell at them and lurch a bit. I had a seriously <deleted> pack of them in Cha Am 20 years ago trying to attack me. Occasionally even now on my bike at night I get the temple dogs causing heck. Normally I stop, look straight at them and yell, then they stop it and you can leave. Most important is to stand your ground. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always bend down and pick up a rock or stick, dogs are gone before I straighten up.

Works very well in most Asian countries. The dogs are used to get stones thrown at them and know when to run away.

19 hours ago, androokery said:

I usually take off my backpack and show the dogs I might just swing it at them, just need eyes in the back of my head because there's almost always one dog that tries to circle round and bite my heels...

Thailand would improve immensely if they just got rid of all these free-roaming dogs. 

Wearing a backpack gives animals the impression you are bigger than you actually are, like the pack is part of your body.  Works on feral monkeys in Indian towns as well as dogs.  These animals are very sensitive to the way you move, and if they sense you are backing off, even in the slightest, they'll close in.  Walk directly toward them at a purposeful stride and they will run off in fear of you.

Dogs freak out at flying projectiles, unless they think you're trying to play frisbee.

A squirt bottle with vinegar can be handy, but you have to get them in the eye.

19 hours ago, pikao said:

I know that and I'm not the guy who hits the dogs. Normally if dogs come after me (rarely happens) I slow down and talk to them. Works. On this road they attack me (have been only one time at night) and friends who live in this area that also don't hit them. The dogs just like it

I like dogs, have 2 myself.  And would not hit a stray-dog with my bamboo stick unless attacked.

But what you describe is a dangerous situation.  And unfortunately in that case there is only one solution and that is that the snap-happy ones are neutralized.

• Like 1

I would be happy to feed dogs or animals living without homes, and find a small container and give them fresh water, too much land is given to humans at the expense of the animals, which in most cases are starving, birds, fish, land animals, insects, soon we be the only ones wandering the planet and that will have its limits too

On 11/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, evadgib said:

A Jiff lemon, kids water pistol or similar squeezy bottle full of lemon juice or vinegar ensures they keep their distance if taken by surprize & not already carrying a stout bamboo pole.

Buy the hottest chili peppers in the market - boil them and use the 'juice' in a water pistol.

Why just the country-side? I live within the ring-road in Kohn Kaen. People who occupy houses during the weekend, appear to close-up there houses during the week. Their dogs, and there are many, either roam the streets, or are left within property boundary, with little water & likely less food! 

On 11/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, pikao said:

...So this piece of driftwood (solid branch) lying close came in very handy. Beating the ground hard with it in front of the leader did the job. They backed off

I attended a few classes in the USA given by a lady trainer who had raised a champion German Shepard attack dog, Bulli Ray.  She has Shepards, Dogos, Malinois dogs.  Once had to extricate herself from a situation where several somewhat feral Rottweilers took issue with her.  She knew dogs and how to identify the Alpha dog.  And how to take measures like confronting the sacrificial weak dog(s) presented by the pack and exerting her dominance.  As I recall, dogs don't like anyone messing with their feet, legs or anything that could cripple them. A whack to the legs might deter them.  A poke of a stick in the general direction might cause them to concentrate on the stick, and not you.  A tennis ball on the end of a stick worked well.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, pikao said:

Have to disagree. Where I live there's a road where dogs ( about 10 ) lay down peacefully (lazy) during the day, but that changes dramatically at night. When you drive by on your bike they chase and try to bite you

I have no problems walking at night, we have far more dogs in our soi and they will follow and protect you. 

Carrying some kibble is far better then rocks and sticks.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, FawnsGhost said:

Maybe there's nothing I can do and a bunch of men will tell me, "Go back to your country if you can't handle it." 

I surely hope nobody will do that, but you never know on this forum. ???? 

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but that is because of the 2 legged beasts. 

Ha ha 

if we see i person a month walking past our house its unusual our dogs would go crazy (they are inside!)

Fact is, there nowhere to walk too, nearest shop is not walk able at night along a dark narrow country lane nearest neighbouring  house 1 km as well

There are the few stray dogs around but they dont trouble anyone,as for the natives  locals they are usually comatose with Lao cao by 7pm

• Haha 1

Dogs tend to come alive at nightime as they sleep all during the day. You could say you are on their territory too. I am with Soi dogs every day. If they don't know your footsteps, bike etc. they will be protective of their patch. Agree with above comments...you should not be out alone. Carry water or a stick. Not to hit them but just bang on floor.  Very few will attack you. Remember they pick up your fear. Do not make eye contact with them. That is an open threat to them. 

• Like 1

tactical retractable metal police wands in the night markets here that fit in your pocket. swing your arm out and it expands like a sword with a real nasty sound. even has a police branded holster for belt.

when you want to intimidate you swing your arm out to the side, and attack with either a slicing or stabbing motion. the point can also do significant damage to the eyes. in a close combat situation the wand can be inserted into the opponents mouth horizontally so it cannot bite down.

never let go of your wand during combat in a live fire exercise...

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 7:07 PM, Just Weird said:

Not only Illegal to own but also illegal to have in public. 

Just because it is "illegal" does not mean nobody should do it, your personal safety is more important than any law.

If you want to obey everybodys rules and laws, you may as well just stay in your bed.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just because it is "illegal" does not mean nobody should do it, your personal safety is more important than any law.

If you want to obey everybodys rules and laws, you may as well just stay in your bed.

You really think that carrying an illegal weapon around in public is a way to ensure one's safety?

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Hey, Ratcatcher, what did you find so sad about those two comments of mine that were 100% factually correct?

I also find it sad, the answer is obvious. ????

It's not obvious to me,so perhaps you could actually put it into words?