gf responsible for late mom's debt?

RoyLee

My (now ex) girlfriend claims to be stuck paying off her late mom's debt. Shortly after the start of our brief relationship, it became apparent my purpose in the relationship was to help finance her sick mom's health-care.  Even, after we broke up, I helped a little, all the way up to the funeral a few months later.  She (only child) sold off assets and paid off debts, but was left with an "informal" debt as she put it.  I'll spare the gory details and I'm sure there's something lost in the translation, but it involves "mafia", threats to be sent off to work in a bar, threats to harm an aunt who has taken her in should she decide to flee etc.  The problem is she is doing low-paying work to pay off this debt, when she could be working as a university-educated accountant in a bigger city as she did when she was with me. She is not asking me for money.  Is this story believable or even possible here?   

20 hours ago, RoyLee said:

My (now ex) girlfriend claims to be stuck paying off her late mom's debt.

So why is she telling you this ?

my purpose in the relationship was to help finance her sick mom's health-care.

I am assuming you did your good deed, now her mum has passed, no more finance for mom's health-care required, end of story there.

Even, after we broke up, I helped a little, all the way up to the funeral a few months later.

Of course you did, did you think it was going to stop ?

but was left with an "informal" debt as she put it. 

I don't see what her "informal" debt has got to do with you, she is your ex and you didn't ask her or her mom to create such debts from loan sharks, right ?

I'll spare the gory details

It's all glory, a million stories a day come out from these girls, I see it and hear it all the time as others do, it's ways of extracting money from good hearted farangs.....period.

but it involves "mafia", threats to be sent off to work in a bar, threats to harm an aunt who has taken her in should she decide to flee etc. 

The problem is she is doing low-paying work to pay off this debt, when she could be working as a university-educated accountant in a bigger city as she did when she was with me.

Her choice.

She is not asking me for money. 

She doesn't have to, all she has to do is tell you her sob story as others do and Mr Farang will come to the rescue to feed their needs, whether it be gambling, drugs, boyfriend or buying land, building a house, etc, etc, etc, and of course farangs are suckers and they know it, a lot of them even lie to their husbands to access funds to put them in a better position, I believe it's called the power of the pu$$y for those who can't see between the black brussel sprouts.

Is this story believable or even possible here? 

You shouldn't even be asking, Thailand is Thailand, and every country has a story or 2 or 3 million, i.e. if your a good listener, perhaps if you are thinking of giving her any money to help her out, you would be better off purchasing yourself a violin and take up violin lessons, that would be enjoying as you stroke away at the strings, ah, music to my ears.

Move forward, it's ok to say no, even though she hasn't asked you for money, she has done so by telling you her story. I have faith in you, look after number 1 and look for people who don't have stories and you might just get to where you want to be, or join the many other disgruntled farangs who have bitten the dust, from "no fault of their own" ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, justin case said:

sick buffalo story, you might be boyfriend nr 5 that is paying for all you know

just think: how did those women ever live before they met you, the ATM ?

He is not payi9ng anything of the debt.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Runs up a debt with a loan shark to pay for her sick mom's free health care.

Sounds doubtful IMHO.

Not sure why you would have any contact with an 'ex-gf' either, different if you have children together of course.

No, she is paying interest on mom's debt, not for health care.

5 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Lololol TOTAL SCAM.........don’t be fooled by this <deleted>.

All you have to do to make this go away is ask for proof.  DONE.

When I first got together with my, now wife, she told me that she had a 10k debt to a loan shark in her village and that she hadn't payed the interest for months and the debt was now 17k baht. She also said that the woman was harrassing her family who had given the loan shark her phone number to get her off their back and she was getting some very threatening phone calls.I thought "scam 100%". I told her that as we were going to the village in a couple of weeks, I woukld pay the debt off personally.

When we went to the village, my wife took me round to the woman's house. She had a proper ledger with my wife's debt in it and a contract signed by my wife. I asked her how much my wife owed and she said 17k baht. I pulled out a roll with 10k in it and said to her, "Sign the contract off as paid and i give you 10k or we walk out of here now and you don't see either of us again". She signed the contract and snapped the money out of my hand.

I've since learned that it's a very common occurrence in Issan villages.

• Like 1

"Shortly after the start of our brief relationship, it became apparent my purpose in the relationship was to help finance her sick mom's health-care."

And now you want to take care of her debts at the loan sharks and afterwards you will take care of... But what do you want to achieve by doing this? That the relationship might start again? That she will be grateful until the end of your days? Or what? 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Runs up a debt with a loan shark to pay for her sick mom's free health care.

Sounds doubtful IMHO.

Not sure why you would have any contact with an 'ex-gf' either, different if you have children together of course.

i have contact with most of my ex"s no kids involved and have sex with some still.

Inflammatory posts, insulting posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post containing a link to another forum has been removed:

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

A post containing an invalid link has been removed:

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:05 AM, fxe1200 said:

If you pay, pay directly to the creditor. Make sure you have a signed receipt in Thai and a signed transcript in English, with the remark, that with this final payment the loan has been payed off completely.

Absolutely, and when you have all that that from the village loan shark, don't forget to get their current business card with e-mail, SWIFT Code and all current social media and international branch addresses in case you need them again.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 6:52 AM, Just Weird said:

She's not legally responsible but this sounds as though the debt was not incurred from a traditional, legal source.  It could have been from a loan shark and they do not work within the parameters of the law, so, yes, the story has some credibility.

yes. sorry, this post has credibility. sad fact. sadly true. 

unofficial loan does not belong to any other but, the sharks will say (threaten)otherwise.

unfortunately i have experience of this. not pleasant...

Interesting to read all comments;

but at the end :

It is up to you to believe her story, or not. 

It is up to you to finance her, whatever you believe her story, or not. 

Do what you think is right/best for you. 

The veracity of the claim doesn't matter. If a mafia-like loan shark is threatening her to pay her dead mother's gambling debts: RUN! If she's lying that a mafia-like loan shark is threatening her to pay her dead mother's gambling debts: RUN!

You're actually lucky if she's lying. Because if the thugs threatening her find out that you're the cash cow, they will start threatening YOU.

As I said: RUN!

Edited by Roy Baht
  • Like 2