Why are there hot/cold mixer faucets with only one inlet/connector?

blakeX

I was stunned to find out that one can buy faucets that have the design and functionality of hot/cold mixers, but only allow to connect a single water source. 

The handle on these faucets can be moved along two axes (up/down, left/right), and they even include a mixer cartridge inside. 

I found several (respectable Thai brands) selling such faucets.

E.g. the one one the picture below.

Why would I want a mixer faucet that mixes water from one (most likely cold) water inlet???

Is this a Thai thing?

Blake

image.thumb.png.b4096eeba951dc8d8e67b96e12f87b5b.png

• Sad 1

Perhaps not the same what you mean, but I have seen many of them with only cold water. You can´t move the handle (I hope that´s the correct word) up and down and to the right, you only can turn it left and then you get cold water. It´s a design thing. 

Actually its a Farang thing. The Thais are even more confused as to what this is for, as most of them have never seen a hot water pipe! Like so many things that originated in the West, they saw a photo of it and tried to copy the idea.

Hence one got things like cakes that were actually made of bread with some jam on it, they had seen one but none had ever baked a cake! In fact most Thais only had a wok and had never seen an oven.

And then there is the concrete Thai mattress which they had seen a pic of and copied having never slept on one.

Likewise, your Thai washing machine uses only cold water and has no heating element.

Stay here long enough and it will do your head in.

Farang tink too mut, comes to mind.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Likewise, your Thai washing machine uses only cold water and has no heating element.

That is not a Thai special. In a nearby 1st world country of 126 million it is also standard. The reasoning I was told is that it’s better for the cloth.

Its quite likely true in other Asian countries.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Actually its a Farang thing. The Thais are even more confused as to what this is for, as most of them have never seen a hot water pipe! Like so many things that originated in the West, they saw a photo of it and tried to copy the idea.

Hence one got things like cakes that were actually made of bread with some jam on it, they had seen one but none had ever baked a cake! In fact most Thais only had a wok and had never seen an oven.

And then there is the concrete Thai mattress which they had seen a pic of and copied having never slept on one.

Stay here long enough and it will do your head in.

Farang tink too mut, comes to mind.

I guess there's a market for single port mixer style faucets in a country where separate hot water supply is rare and not everyone is living jungle style.

Washing machines with built in heater are readily available in TH often not far from the soft mattresses and real cakes.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:27 PM, CNXexpat said:

Perhaps not the same what you mean, but I have seen many of them with only cold water. You can´t move the handle (I hope that´s the correct word) up and down and to the right, you only can turn it left and then you get cold water. It´s a design thing. 

Yeah, I am not confused by any cold water faucet that is turned on and off by EITHER moving the handle up/down OR left/right. It's totally reasonable to have faucets with only cold water in a tropical climate, and as you say: it's really just a design choice whether the handle has to be moved up/down or left/right to open/close.  

What I was describing is a faucet that follows the mechanics and technical design of a hot/cold mixer (e.g. up/down for water flow AND left/right for hot/cold), but ONLY allows to be connected to a single port/inlet, thus is basically just a cold water faucet. The handle can still be moved left/right, but this merely adjusts how cold water from the one inlet is mixed with cold water from the same inlet. ????

17 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Its a fly by wire mixer tap. Micro switch inside faucet, wifi signal to a PLC by the hot water tank, solenoid valve adjust flow via a Venturi deaerator !!!

The only reply on this thread so far that *reasonably well* explains the existence of these mock hot/cold mixer faucets!!! ????

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blakeX said:

The handle can still be moved left/right, but this merely adjusts how cold water from the one inlet is mixed with cold water from the same inlet.

Ok, that makes no sense if you can move it to both sides but there is only one input.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, Fruit Trader said:

They are VRH brand stainless matching faucets available with or without hot water feed. The cold water model has single 1/2 inch connection and the hot/cold has two flexible lines attached.

Right, they generally have the exact same model in the "proper" design with two flexible lines for hot and cold, and also in the "fake mixer" design with only 1/2 inch connection.

If only the staff at the shop had pointed that out to me when I bought the "fake mixer" design HAHA.

Somewhere there is a 'farang bashing thread' about the stupidity of foreigners in Thailand !!!

Those 4 axis faucets can be plumbed in for hot and cold or just cold with the hot input blanked off. 

(1/2" connections). 

Or, if they can't then they are just fake 'cosmetic' replicas or its just easier to make one model than to make a 'cold only' head (4 axis swivel)...  but is it really worth that much thought????

Wow !!! this thread !!!!!!!  half of people are below average intelligence... Noooooooooo, not 'farangs' !!! :coffee1:

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but is it really worth that much thought????

Some posts would definitely benefit from a bit of thought prior to hitting the submit button.

But luckily, there is an EDIT feature for those of us who can't be bothered ????

I was genuinely interested to hear if there is a sensible reason for the existence of these "fake" hot/cold mixers (e.g. improved water flow or whatever). After all, VRH is a respectable and well established brand with quality products. 

Allowing people to pretend that they have hot water in their bathrooms when they have not is not a *sensible* reason IMHO. But you can disagree.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... or its just easier to make one model than to make a 'cold only' head (4 axis swivel)

I was wondering about that as well. However, those "fake" hot/cold mixers generally still sell for much more than a "normal" cold water faucet. Which makes sense as the design is more complicated, and they even contain a mixer cartridge, which I guess all adds to production costs.

17 minutes ago, blakeX said:

I was genuinely interested to hear if there is a sensible reason for the existence of these "fake" hot/cold mixers (e.g. improved water flow or whatever). After all, VRH is a respectable and well established brand with quality products. 

Allowing people to pretend that they have hot water in their bathrooms when they have not is not a *sensible* reason IMHO. But you can disagree.

Most of our facility toilets have single-lever mixer type faucets with one feed line. The hot and cold is pre-mixed at a common thermostat valve for all basins. Fake mixers with the perfect water temperature.

I can image some folk losing sleep trying to work it all out.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, bankruatsteve said:

All 3 of the front loaders I have owned in Thailand heat water.

And the newer models of top loaders have heating ability - but it is reserved for bacteria control/pest killing and not designed for normal use.  The water in Thailand does not need heating to clean cloths and clothing/colors last much, much longer without it.  Clothing is traditionally dried in the sun so that normally takes care of any remaining bacteria.  As people move to condo and such drying is limited the front loaders and hot water are being used more.  Am sure clothing supply stores are happy with that.

Edited by lopburi3

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And the newer models of top loaders have heating ability - but it is reserved for bacteria control/pest killing and not designed for normal use.  The water in Thailand does not need heating to clean cloths and clothing/colors last much, much longer without it.  Clothing is traditionally dried in the sun so that normally takes care of any remaining bacteria.  As people move to condo and such drying is limited the front loaders and hot water are being used more.  Am sure clothing supply stores are happy with that.

The pre-programmed wash cycles in our Samsung for normal, cotton, and something else get the water hot.  My wife doesn't want the hot water so we had to figure out how to save the program for just cold water and now she uses that for most loads.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:05 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhere there is a 'farang bashing thread' about the stupidity of foreigners in Thailand !!!

I think this is the one!

I have a Halefe tap (faucet if you insist) which looks similar to the one depicted, that is cold only with single connector that moves vertically only. I've spent quite some time recently in the plumbing section of Global House as we're renovating our bathrooms and I haven't come across a cold only tap (faucet if you insist) that is any different.

Hot and cold, double movement. Cold only single movement. I've not found any exceptions yet.

Actually, I'd be quite curious to know just how the O/P identified these apparent anomalous taps. (faucet if you insist) They're either set into a display panel, in which case you can't see the connector(s), or in a sealed packet so that the action cannot be ascertained.

I think you're 'aving a laugh O/P

Edited by Moonlover

On 11/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, bankruatsteve said:

All 3 of the front loaders I have owned in Thailand heat water.

Front loaders have a heater...top loaders don't     top loaders are by far the more popular choice in Thailand..but the price of front loaders  is starting to come down.

No longer 100% true - the new models of top loaders now have heaters which can be used when required for bacteria type control (or if you from USA (others) and believe only hot cleans).  40c and 60c options.

A walk in HomePro this week showed more front loaders than top loaders on display so times they are a-changin.   

Edited by lopburi3

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have a Halefe tap (faucet if you insist) which looks similar to the one depicted, that is cold only with single connector that moves vertically only. I've spent quite some time recently in the plumbing section of Global House as we're renovating our bathrooms and I haven't come across a cold only tap (faucet if you insist) that is any different.

Hot and cold, double movement. Cold only single movement. I've not found any exceptions yet.

Actually, I'd be quite curious to know just how the O/P identified these apparent anomalous taps. (faucet if you insist) They're either set into a display panel, in which case you can't see the connector(s), or in a sealed packet so that the action cannot be ascertained.

I think you're 'aving a laugh O/P

Haha, I identified it because I (unknowingly) bought one.

Mine was indeed set into a display and I didn't see the single 1/2" connector when selecting it.

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've spent quite some time recently in the plumbing section of Global House as we're renovating our bathrooms and I haven't come across a cold only tap (faucet if you insist) that is any different.

My guess is that you actually might have looked at several of them without knowing.

I saw the same faucet design from other brands, e.g. Cotto (see below). You can see from the swivel design that this is clearly moves along two axes.

Well, if this thread was good for anything (other than insulting Thais, and insulting Farangs), maybe it was to make others aware of this oddity and avoid throwing money out the window.

image.png.36ca0d704c254d3f5c882988cfb9dee9.png

• Confused 1

The VRH PC can easily point out the differences in the mixer taps or cold water only taps made in Thailand by VRH.  I highly recommend expats consider VRH brand faucets, taps, hoses, personal sprayers and wire ware. A real warranty they honor. Quality goods that have worked perfect for me for many years in three different homes. The Cotto bathroom taps in the photo are mixer taps. There is a Stiebel Eltron 8000 multi point water heater under the bathroom counter in Buriram. 

Buriram Isaan VRH Stainless 304 PEX water pipe hose fittings.jpg

Buriram Cotto basin VRH drain pipes Guest Restroom.jpg

On 11/27/2019 at 1:31 AM, blakeX said:

The only reply on this thread so far that *reasonably well* explains the existence of these mock hot/cold mixer faucets!!! ????

You're the only one calling it a 'mixer' which it clearly isn't.

Is this a mock serious thread?

On 11/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, blakeX said:

Some posts would definitely benefit from a bit of thought prior to hitting the submit button.

But luckily, there is an EDIT feature for those of us who can't be bothered ????

I was wondering about that as well. However, those "fake" hot/cold mixers generally still sell for much more than a "normal" cold water faucet. Which makes sense as the design is more complicated, and they even contain a mixer cartridge, which I guess all adds to production costs.

Form over functionality maybe?

There's a whole lot of cars in Thailand that sport bright red, high-end, after-market 'Brembo' disk brake calipers which are in reality clip-on, composite covers that cost around 200 baht at the local market and makes it 'look like' the car has expensive Brembo brakes fitted.

The art of making things appear to be other than what they really are... not an exclusively Thai pursuit IMHO.

PS: If you stop calling them mixers, it may make it easier to comprehend.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:36 AM, kamalabob2 said:

The VRH PC can easily point out the differences in the mixer taps or cold water only taps made in Thailand by VRH.  I highly recommend expats consider VRH brand faucets, taps, hoses, personal sprayers and wire ware. A real warranty they honor. Quality goods that have worked perfect for me for many years in three different homes. The Cotto bathroom taps in the photo are mixer taps. There is a Stiebel Eltron 8000 multi point water heater under the bathroom counter in Buriram. 

And for those that find VRH's prices a bit too rich for the dunny, consider their lower budget 'HOY' line of plumbing hardware that 'looks like' VRH.