immigration officer put a note

Just get a new passport and you'll likely be fine for a while even with exempts. My recommendation though is go back to your home country, get a METV, and you're good to go for 6-9 months. Sure beats playing the extension/visa-run game. Alternatively you can get a SETV from another country, but they seem to be cracking down on those recently.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, post said:

Was something written in your passport? 

I doubt it. Nor do I think anything 'extra' will be put in the computer.

Some people feel genuinly intimidated when a figure in uniform/authority makes a statement like 'I'm keeping a note on this'.

A bit like when you're a kid and your dad says 'I won't forget this my boy'.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SEtonal said:

You need a long-stay visa/permission to stay.  You can't stay in Thailand for 8 months out of the year on tourist visas.   Long-stay visas/permission to  stay are - married to a Thai, parent of a Thai child, or over 50 years of age.  There are also ED/education visas but they are getting more difficult to obtain and you do have to go to class.   You can also buy a Thailand Elite Visa (5 year costs 500k baht, 20 year costs 1 million baht).

And there is also the long-stay/permission to stay for those with work permits - i.e., the business visa extension.

• Like 1

The thing is, there's no written rule about having too many visa exempt entries.

I understand why people do them, it's a real pain in the ass to bother getting any kind of visa unless it can be done online with just a few clicks.

I've always avoided getting visas wherever possible. I don't like sending my passport off anywhere, I also don't like going to any embassy, ever. That leaves me with consular services agencies, I've used them before but I would always use the visa free option if it's available.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SEtonal said:

You can't stay in Thailand for 8 months out of the year on tourist visas

He said he was using visa exempt entries. As the name implies, "visa exempt " means he's entering without any sort of visa. A tourist visa would get him a 60 day entry plus possible 30 day extension. 

This is past year in particular has demonstrated the importance of using correct terms and yet people continue to call anything stamped in a passport a visa.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

You have a lot of extensions, that’s the problem.

I know lot's of people been here with many back to back 1 year extensions.

As extensions are done at a Thai Immigration office in the country, don't see how a airport IO can question them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Entry will not be guaranteed even with a visa, especially with a “note” (or a note in your immigration file) in your passport. You should think of it before it gets to this point (a note in pass or possibly in imm file). After this point you will have problems if continue the same way. To avoid detention room take this seriously. 

Edited by The Theory

34 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Entry will not be guaranteed even with a visa, especially with a “note” (or a note in your immigration file) in your passport. You should think of it before it gets to this point (a note in pass or possibly in imm file). After this point you will have problems if continue the same way. To avoid detention room take this seriously. 

If the IO 'wrote' a note in a passport it would be classed as defacing an official government document. In that case a new passport would be required. ( note gone )

Your in/out records on the computer are only that. There is no way to add comments or whatever at the airport.

The only place that can 'change' anything in your computer file is at CW, eg stamped in for 30 instead of 90 at the airport. CW can do it, airport can't.

Edited by overherebc

Does anyone out there have an example of such a note 'hand written' in their passport saying something on the lines of 'this person will not be allowed entry without a proper visa',  signed by the IO and including his number.

I would like to see one.

NB.

Hand written, not the stamp used by some consulates when you reach their 2 or 3 issued visas ie the red/blue warning stamp.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

The only place that can 'change' anything in your computer file is at CW, eg stamped in for 30 instead of 90 at the airport. CW can do it, airport can't.

I am sure immigration where you entered Thailand can make changes. In fact, I have had the experience where the official incorrectly stamped me in visa exempt, and was able to correct his error when I shortly after pointed it out to him.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am sure immigration where you entered Thailand can make changes. In fact, I have had the experience where the official incorrectly stamped me in visa exempt, and was able to correct his error when I shortly after pointed it out to him.

I did get a 30 instead of 90 at DMK and before I left the desk I pointed it out. The IO corrected the stamp in my passport there and then. A couple of days later I went to my local Imm' and told them what had happened and they confirmed the computer entry was still on 30 days.

They took copies etc and filled in a form they said would go to BKK to make a note/change in the records as they couldn't change things, only enter dates etc and CW was the only place that could change/alter it.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, SEtonal said:

You need a long-stay visa/permission to stay.  You can't stay in Thailand for 8 months out of the year on tourist visas.   Long-stay visas/permission to  stay are

You forgot one. It looks like OP speaks English. Does he have at least a Bachelor's degree? He needs to walk into a few of the schools in the area that he likes, meet with the heads of the English or foreign language departments, or check out Ajarn.com. Try to get directly hired by a school, avoid agencies. Do like I am, and make a difference in the future for this new generation of young Thais.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Your in/out records on the computer are only that. There is no way to add comments or whatever at the airport.

Sorry to have to correct you, but you are wrong on of the above both points.

Firstly, there is a facility within the Immigrations System for any IO to enter notes and this facility is used for a wide variety of purposes.  The notes field is free format, so the IO can basically enter whatever they want, subject to the restriction on the size of the field.  The only data that is prescribed within the notes field is the date the entry was made and the ID of the Officer who made the entry.

When an IO initially calls-up a person’s immigration data they are initially presented with the person’s basic biographical information e.g. passport number, country of origin, gender, date of birth, name(s) etc.  If the IO wants further information about the person e.g. history, he/she has to ‘drill down’ from a menu to display that information so the notes do not automatically appear unless requested by the IO.

Secondly, CW are not the only office in Thailand that can change details on the Immigration Database.

For example, if you were to change your passport and present both the old and new passports to your local Immigration Office they will be able to amend the database accordingly, no need to send any information to CW.  The same goes for a lot of other common issues including incorrect length of stay dates.

I’m somewhat surprised that your local Office was unable to amend your stay from 30 to 90 days.  I suspect that the real reason was that the IO who you spoke to was not authorised to make such changes whereas his senior most likely was but was not available at the time, hence the face-saving excuse of having to send it to CW.

FYI.... when an IO makes a change to specific data like in your case from 30 to 90 days the original record is not deleted, a new one is created which then supersede the previous entry and the IO may well put a note in the notes field giving the reason for the change.

FYI....  There are certain entries in the Immigration Database that CW, or any other office for that matter regardless of the seniority of the IO, are unable to change.  For example, if someone has been banned from entering the Kingdom and it is subsequently discovered that the ban expiry date is incorrect, the only office that can make such a change is Immigration HQ (Suan Plau).  In these cases the change is physically made by a senior system administrator who can only make the change on the written authority of a very senior Immigration Officer (Major General or above).

FYI.....  When any Immigration Officer logs into the Immigration system using their ID + PW, the system only allows that officer to perform certain tasks on the system which have been pre-assigned to their specific role/function/duties.  So, for example a front line officers at ports of entry may only be able to undertake tasks ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ on the system.  That officer’s senior will also be able to carry out those tasks but also tasks ‘D’ and ‘E’.  An officer in a local office will only be able to undertake tasks ‘A’, F’ and ‘G’ but not tasks 'B', 'C' or 'E'.

FYI…. Because the Immigration Database is considered to be part of ‘National Security’ it has a built-in audit trail facility which automatically records in the background the date/time/ID of the IO who has made any changes to the data.  It does not record who just viewed the data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Firstly, there is a facility within the Immigrations System for any IO to enter notes and this facility is used for a wide variety of purposes.  The notes field is free format, so the IO can basically enter whatever they want, subject to the restriction on the size of the field.  The only data that is prescribed within the notes field is the date the entry was made and the ID of the Officer who made the entry.

When an IO initially calls-up a person’s immigration data they are initially presented with the person’s basic biographical information e.g. passport number, country of origin, gender, date of birth, name(s) etc.  If the IO wants further information about the person e.g. history, he/she has to ‘drill down’ from a menu to display that information so the notes do not automatically appear unless requested by the IO.

Secondly, CW are not the only office in Thailand that can change details on the Immigration Database.

For example, if you were to change your passport and present both the old and new passports to your local Immigration Office they will be able to amend the database accordingly, no need to send any information to CW.  The same goes for a lot of other common issues including incorrect length of stay dates.

I’m somewhat surprised that your local Office was unable to amend your stay from 30 to 90 days.  I suspect that the real reason was that the IO who you spoke to was not authorised to make such changes whereas his senior most likely was but was not available at the time, hence the face-saving excuse of having to send it to CW.

FYI.... when an IO makes a change to specific data like in your case from 30 to 90 days the original record is not deleted, a new one is created which then supersede the previous entry and the IO may well put a note in the notes field giving the reason for the change.

FYI....  There are certain entries in the Immigration Database that CW, or any other office for that matter regardless of the seniority of the IO, are unable to change.  For example, if someone has been banned from entering the Kingdom and it is subsequently discovered that the ban expiry date is incorrect, the only office that can make such a change is Immigration HQ (Suan Plau).  In these cases the change is physically made by a senior system administrator who can only make the change on the written authority of a very senior Immigration Officer (Major General or above).

FYI.....  When any Immigration Officer logs into the Immigration system using their ID + PW, the system only allows that officer to perform certain tasks on the system which have been pre-assigned to their specific role/function/duties.  So, for example a front line officers at ports of entry may only be able to undertake tasks ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ on the system.  That officer’s senior will also be able to carry out those tasks but also tasks ‘D’ and ‘E’.  An officer in a local office will only be able to undertake tasks ‘A’, F’ and ‘G’ but not tasks 'B', 'C' or 'E'.

FYI…. Because the Immigration Database is considered to be part of ‘National Security’ it has a built-in audit trail facility which automatically records in the background the date/time/ID of the IO who has made any changes to the data.  It does not record who just viewed the data.

Really?

So basically they can, if they wish, add notes, change your entry status/dates/details etc if they so wish to do so.

Doesn't that give you a feeling of security????

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, racket said:

He probably put a note in the system as well.

Not probably - for sure. And what would change with a new passport? Everything is in the system. He would need a new name too. Perhaps also a new face and finger prints.

Edited by CNXexpat

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Another answer to you on who I spoke to. You have inside information on that?

Who do you think I would speak to, the receptionist?

Are you a lawyer?

Edited by overherebc