Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

Just now, smedly said:

not sure what to make of that

either the Chinese spend pretty much close to zero or their calculations are nonsense or likely both

It's impossible to have actual figures re spending when there are no proper books and records kept and mostly cash transactions

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

Your problem is Indians aren't big spenders , they would much rather share and save and the baht is still to high for them to spend up just like most tourists . The only hope is that the economy crashes sooner rather than later and tourists can afford to come back but until then this is what to expect .

I can't see the economy crashing . To much money in foreign currency reserve. May see many companies going bankrupt. And with 39 million tourists expected FCR will strengthen more keeping the exchange rate low in exchange.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, essox essox said:

There is no way Indians spend over 260 quid a day. Who and where does this figure come from. It is a plain guess in my opinion, same for Chinese they will never spend 130 quid a day. Absolute bunkum are these figures. 

I really don't know where they get the figures from either. Let's say they have breakfast at a local eatery, buy a few things from 711 and then go to a bar where they have a few drinks and acquire the services of a local lady for the evening. How is any of this recorded as money being spent at all, let alone specifically by Indians?

Unless they are simply asking them at the airports which again is unreliable. Same as the arrival card, I never gave them accurate information about my salary/occupation etc. because a) it amused me pretending to be an a gynecologist on under 10,000 USD per year and b) it's none of their business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Your problem is Indians aren't big spenders , they would much rather share and save and the baht is still to high for them to spend up just like most tourists . The only hope is that the economy crashes sooner rather than later and tourists can afford to come back but until then this is what to expect .

That is why Indians invented 'zero', it is what they like to pay for things! But apparently they spend more than Chinese.... sadly these will deter other tourists further. Pattaya has slipped in quality, and the locals have simply sought less discerning tourists. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Only rational explanation:

they might have read statistics from top European spots (like Switzerland) where indeed wealthy Indians go to.

And now they expect to divert them to Pattaya.

Good luck :cheesy:

I was in Swiss last year, loads and loads of Asians were there (no indians) and they all went to the watch shops where they even had chinese sales working. Those watches are sure not cheap.

• Like 1