The authentic Thailand experience for first time visitor

Will E Vormer

Jaded farang panic mode. A slightly naive irish friend is showing up in Jan, with no experience of Asia and probably expecting Thailand to be the idyllic paradise. This guy is a good friend who looked after me a few yrs back, who himself needs a 'reset' from London life. 

'Authentic Thailand' could be taken literally.. a bit of an unfriendly <snip> hole. So the question is, I'm asking for recommendations for places that are off the beaten path, quiet and spiritual, something authentic that I can mix in with the 'other' stuff. Unknown temples, national parks and mountain tops with sunrise views that will blow his mind. Stuff like that. 

Of course he likes a drink and will probably fall in love with the first thai bird he meets, but I wd like to at least try my best! ????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Anything NOT listed in the Lonely Planet or Travelfish.org. I hope your friend can speak a few words of Thai.

That's a very good point.

What's the point of going somewhere special he can't communicate with anybody?

If he wants to speak English with the natives then he should go to a (tourist) place where people speak English.

Or hire a good private travel agent - or the above mentioned bar-girl solution. She will be able to speak English, show him around, and make sure he is happy.

• Thanks 1

Yes have wheels

Was thinking the usual places like Amphawa or Ayutthaya. 

Then planning on dumping him on an island and let him chill -  he was in a panic about that, literally thought I meant an island with one palm tree and no one there 

Edited by Will E Vormer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

'Authentic Thailand' could be taken literally.. a bit of an unfriendly sh%t hole. 

your friend will not see it that way. he will be amazed at all the differences and the culture shock. don't ruin it for him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Seems to me (as you still havnt mentioned duration) you need to consider:

Bangkok - Ayyuthaya - Pattaya - on down to Koh Chang - chill 

He gets metropolis - historic - playtime - chill 

A month..  plenty of time for explaining the tradition of Dowries

3 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Of course he likes a drink and will probably fall in love with the first thai bird he meets, but I wd like to at least try my best! ????

As a person who also came here from London, I'd say don't waste his time, straight to Pattaya, then if he doesn't like it, that's the time to think of other places to show him.

• Like 1

What is "authentic"?

Tell him to do some research before he comes, then he can make his own decisions. Maybe you do some research and find out what he thinks he wants from his first trip to Asia, then let him make his own discoveries.

Edited by ChrisKC
new comment
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinmartyn said:

It came to my attention some yeats ago that Thailand wants to live 600 years ago in it's own Cacoon and really do not want foreigners because they are NOT subserviant like many Thais are! Truth

And then there are those foreigners who stay in Thailand because they like subserviently people, especially women.

Imagine Thailand would be just like home. In that case, why would you be in Thailand?

• Thanks 1

On the first day take him to Nong Nooch Garden or similar. There he will get the authentic Thai experience of double or triple charging of farangs. Then to the pub to drown his sorrows.????

Edited by Gandtee
Additional words.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, Will E Vormer said:

In his case I can really see this happening 

There is even a bar girl I have in mind, the very caring Lek at Vianni's in Patpong ????

But seriously .. cmon I need tips.. 

Patpong??? But seriously .. cmon ....  It's the only place I've ever been pick pocketed and it was in a bar where I had a good reputation.  I've never gone back and highly recommend you don't expose him to that trash pit.

There are some great places near Kanchanaburi Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chang Mai or Chang Rai. Many places to experience real Thai, but you won't find it at Patpong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for replies, very useful and interesting observations.

I think calling thai women subservient is not understanding its a 2 way street. They'll let you do what you want, as long as they can also keep you where they want you. Hell to pay otherwise..

About Patpong. For me as a Londoner who frequents some of the pubs and dive bars around Soho ie Trisha's etc, the seediness and characters of Patpong remind me of Soho abit.. Haunts like Madrid and The Old Other Office Bar. I think we will see Patpong becoming a vibrant and hip area - its already starting to happen. 

Thanks for the recommendations. I will update, if it's of any interest. 

Kanchanaburi is def on my list.  

I think he wd want to see the famous bridge and chill on the river. The new Meena cafe looks like a good pit stop. And Nan is somewhere I havent visited yet. A friend says its v nice, but the hotels are surprisingly pricey. So def more research needed. Def phuket, Koh Lanta, a quick tour of Krabi, then down to Koh Lipe.