Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

59 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Of the 3 friends i know who have jumped ship 2 were under 50 and felt the elite option was taking the <deleted>, So after years here and even learning to speak read and write are gone,

The 3rd was married and had 2 daughters at international school, He worried about the level of education they received in the first years...the day they came home speaking like carmen miranda was the last straw,

All 3 were/are financially endowed , to live most anywhere.

there is no other long term solution to staying long term in Thailand under 50, and unmarried, so its elite or repeated VE/tourist visa

30 minutes ago, steve187 said:

there is no other long term solution to staying long term in Thailand under 50, and unmarried, so its elite or repeated VE/tourist visa

And its very difficult now, if not impossible to stay in Thailand on repeated TV/VE

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, WhatupThailand said:

Bottom Line: Who benefits from all the Insane Rules ?

And please spare me from the "Thailand can make their own rules BS", they said much the same when Pol Pot was ruining Cambodia.

Please for one moment, use your Brain, and think about why Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar, have Visa's with little to no red tape, where you pay once a year with no other hassles.

Can anyone say, Because the Corruption leads to supporting the Banking and Insurance Cronies ?

Do these Rules in any way Help the Thai People ?

Money Locked in a Bank does not help the local economy,

where it could be used as a positive factor.

Now we see the Insurance which is no real Insurance at all, only a clever way to extract more money from those held hostage by Mr Big and his Cronies.

Not to mention all the "Where are you" stupidity,

that does nothing but create makeshift paper work, because real criminals will never follow this.

So wake up and get real, or continue down the road of Insanity.

Make a real solution for Health Care by putting everyone coming into Thailand, onto the Thai SS system, with monthly payments into the system, based on length of stay.

Make all Visa and Extensions a Pay and forget system, like all the other countries, and get rid of all the other Red Tape make work BS.

Do just these two things, and see how Thailand can start to Smile again.

Thailand has visas with very little red tape too. Darn sight easier to stay long term in Thailand than Myanmar. Thailand would be one of the easiest places to stay long term, if you have money. If you don't have sufficient money then you should not entertain the fantasy of living anywhere else apart from your home country.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, simon43 said:

My understanding is that you only pay the high fee IF your PR application is successful.

As for getting PR in Thailand, and the need to have paid 3 years of Thai tax, why not come over to Laos?  You can get PR without paying any taxes or having worked.  The waiting period is longer (10 years), but there are ways to reduce that period.  For example, as a scientist, I should be able to get PR after 5 years.

But you'd still be in Laos. Not really my idea of the perfect retirement place after a lifetime of work. But hey, if it works for you go for it. There is always Bangladesh if Laos doesn't work out.

• Haha 2

On 12/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, saengd said:

That's what's keeping many of us here...I don't mean your Mrs., I mean our respective spouses!!! ????

Lack of money and the subsequent inability to leave is closer to the truth for a lot of people. Made their bed and now must lay in it no matter how uncomfortable it may be.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Lack of money and the subsequent inability to leave is closer to the truth for a lot of people. Made their bed and now must lay in it no matter how uncomfortable it may be.

You’ve butter your bread. Now lie in it.

• Confused 2

On 12/23/2019 at 4:57 AM, RedPill said:

Food for thought ????

... but something strange happened to me. I start to like Somtam Thai ... out of sudden, after many years not even touching it ????

Scrotum Thai? Really?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Which countries allow tourists to enter their health care scheme?

the ones with more money where its more expensive to live there.

i think france and ireland do if you live there a certain amount of time, go through hoops etc.

just dont try doing it if your skint.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, dcnx said:

If you have money you have options. If you have options you’re a fool for choosing Thailand unless you have to be here for work purposes or you married a local. 

A few people have expressed the same view, but nobody ever says where they would be if they "Had Money".

So where would you go if you had an indexed linked, guaranteed monthly income of... 

• <=50,000 THB
  • 50-100,000 THB
  • 100-150,000 THB
  • 150-250,000 THB
  • > 250,000  

On 12/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Back then it was easier to retire and live in Indonesia (Bali), Malaysia, Phillipines, Singapore, India, than it was in Thailand - but it was not a lot more difficult, and IMO it was the best option.  Since then all those other countries, and now Vietnam and Laos, have remained easier than Thailand

If it's easy for you to retire in Singapore, you can retire almost anywhere on the planet as the only option available as a non-PR/Citizen would be the Investment route which is a minimum investment of s$2.5 Million ((> 55 Million THB).

You could buy UK citizenship cheaper (IIRC it's £1 Million, approx 40 Million THB) 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, amexpat said:

Some do and it hasn't.

Also needs mentioning that the Thai health system doesn't pay for expensive medications or 'spare parts'.

Patients can use the (extremely cheap) medications the hospitals are prepared to issue, or they can buy their own elsewhere.

Most of the western health systems are being destroyed by the prices charged by 'big pharma', which Thailand (quite sensibly) refuses to pay.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

if you're a Brit, you can buy a rundown farm in France for 10,000 Euros, then sign up for PR and their health system anytime before the end of 2020. Hardly any hoops, just opening a bank account and filling out a few government forms.

I might do it in April 2020, seen plenty of farms for sale in the 10k-20k Euro range.

Have been looking in the region between Lyon and Limoges, lots of National parks.

Why bother buying & why France not Portugal?

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If it's easy for you to retire in Singapore, you can retire almost anywhere on the planet as the only option available as a non-PR/Citizen would be the Investment route which is a minimum investment of s$2.5 Million ((> 55 Million THB).

You could buy UK citizenship cheaper (IIRC it's £1 Million, approx 40 Million THB) 

You are right about costs - but I meant easier in that you knew exactly what you had to do to stay and all the rights and privileges and obligations that would be applied to you.  Malaysia offered the best package overall but it cost a bit (but much less than Singapore) as they only wanted 'wuality' retirees - not the trash that was going to Thailand at the time.  Malaysia is now cheaper than Thailand - but they gave you a lot of benefits and rights.  Malaysia still does offer those rights, but Thailand has put up their costs tyo be more, but they have not not given any extra rights or privileges - and still retained 90 days, TM40s, annual extensions, permission to re-enter, etc etc etc. (and all at an extra cost) 

• Like 1