Will Thai Health Insurance be mandated for O Visas and Extensions

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Basically because there isn't one based on retirement.

This seems to vary from country to country. There is a Non-Imm-O shown on the UK website

"To visit family or friends in Thailand, voluntary job, retirement, medical treatment, to attend judicial process, to work as diplomat's housekeeper" 

The requirement being 

• Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

There is also the ability within Thailand to convert Visa Exempt and Tourist Visa stamps into a Non-Imm-O entry based on pursuing a retirement extension. 

21 hours ago, traveller101 said:

Yes - but whether it happens tomorrow or 1 or more years down the track is anybody's guess. 

It also remains to be seen which course of action will be taken in order to achieve the desired result.

Ubonjoe's straightforward, no- nonsense and logical solution is a simple police order declaring Health Insurance mandatory for all 1 year Extensions based on Retirement irrespective whether it was based on a non Immigrant O or OA-Visa.

Others suspect that the Non Imm O-visa for the purpose of Retirement will be phased out over a period of time thus leaving no other option than to apply for an OA-Visa (Retirement) - or acquire an Elite Visa.

Again, all predictions at this point in time are educated guesses at best.

Other very important issues need to be addressed as well, one glaring example the fact that none of the eligible Insurance companies offer any coverage for over 75year olds and there is no provision in the current mess to accommodate those folks.

Fairly good summary. The Thais have given a fairly good indication of where they are heading with visas. The online system has no multi option for the non O so by the time that is rolled out globally, 12 month Non O visas could be a thing of the past.

As far as extensions go they are between a rock and a hard place. I have no doubt they would have little problem enforcing insurance on retirees, if they chose to leave so be it, but a different ball game for those that are married. They would not want to be seen as inflicting that sort of hardship on Thai nationals.

As has been said many times the greatest cost to the Thai medical system come from the ordinary tourist, rather than expats. Have to wait and see if they have any intention of addressing that aspect, and that could be a real game changer.

Like everything else, time tells all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Interested?  Just PM me and I will send over a copy.

Thanks, but I am already on a Non-Imm-O based retirement extension. Might be in touch when that obligates these poor insurance policies.

• Like 1

Maybe this is off topic or in the wrong section and if so will somebody put it where it belongs.  A couple of moths ago, I posted an article from Toronto concerning OHIP.  Below is a followup from today, 1 January 2020.  I post this in case it was previously missed by anybody from Ontario.  Don't blame me but get onto our beloved Mr. Ford who is trying to become the Trump of Ontario.  I also wonder if he is in collusion with the boss here in Thailand.

It's a new year —  and that means provincial changes to OHIP have kicked in, leaving Ontarians travelling outside Canada without built in, out-of-country health insurance.

But both sides are unified on one message: anyone from Ontario travelling abroad should make sure to buy insurance before heading off on any trip.

"Consumers and travellers should not be travelling without insurance," said Louise Blazik, director of Travel College Canada.

"The government has always strongly encouraged individuals to purchase additional travel health insurance so they are adequately covered every time they leave Ontario to travel abroad," said David Jensen, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care spokesperson, in an email.

OHIP previously covered out-of-country inpatient services up to $400 per day for higher levels of care like intensive care, as well up to $50 per day for emergency outpatient and doctor services.

"Fully 95 per cent of claims are paid directly to insurance companies. With this limited coverage and low reimbursement rate, OHIP-eligible Ontarians who do not purchase private travel health insurance can be left with catastrophically large bills to pay."

A consequence of the cancellation is insurance companies have now hiked their premiums, said Marissa Lennox, chief policy officer with the Canadian Association of Retired Persons (CARP).

25 minutes ago, thasoss said:

I recently went to my local immigration office for a 90 day report,and i asked the usual guy i see 'will i need health insurance to renew my extension?(i am on O-A extension past 14 years)" and he said no it is only mandatory for new O-A visas applied for in your home country.

Well i'll take that answer with a grain of salt.And am going to apply for my next extension 45 days before due date to give me time(should his reply prove incorrect) to either get insurance in time or go out and back in on 30 day visa exempt and apply for non O based on retirement.if it remains the case that insurance is not required.

At which IO did you get the answer that health-insurance was not required when applying for an extension of stay?

Are you presently on an OA extension for reason of marriage?  In that case it is indeed not required.

But yours would be a first if your local IO does not require it for extensions based on retirement.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, AussieBob18 said:

Dont get me wrong - I most certainly hope not - but I am interested in TV members opinions as to whether they think that the Thai Immi/Govt will extend the current O-A Visa/Extension requirements for Health Insurance to all 'long term' Visas/Extensions.  Apologies for the confusion.  To expand the point - I think it is the uncertainty that is causing much concern - and making people think about leaving and others think again about coming.

"and making people think about leaving"

Some older men will have no choice but to live due to the high price for people over 75, unfortunately It wont be a question of choice ☹️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"and making people think about leaving"

Some older men will have no choice but to live due to the high price for people over 75, unfortunately It wont be a question of choice ☹️

See post #158 for an easy escape-road to avoid the bogus thai insurance scam ????

Edited by Peter Denis

On 12/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, saengd said:

I've just switched to an extension based on marriage, the additional paperwork is not at all significant.

Were you on OA retirement before? 
I allow me the question because I started to ask every document in my country to be able to mary with my height years companion before my extension in seven months. So going from retirement to marriage extension will be possible of course but will my visa change or stay OA?

On 12/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, Chicken George said:

Yes. It will happen. I just wish we could pay  monthly to be included in the Thai health system. 

I am in the Thai health system as i continue to pay out of pocket after working here 15 years to keep my medical cover. Means nothing they are not accepting that Medical cover and its 100 %  

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, possum1931 said:

While I have no time for the Thai government or their immigration, I do not see medical insurance for marriage and retirement extensions happening anytime soon. Only an opinion.

Agreed.

I believe the recent changes to expats on the retirement visa/extension having to have the 800,000 baht in the bank, if I recall correctly, 2 months prior to their application and money to stay in the bank for 3 months thereafter assures the Thai government that there will be 800,000 baht in their account for at least 7 months of the year which in the event of hospital treatment being required, the money for the bill/s are there to be had, and they also know that medical insurance for most would be a deal breaker, i.e. a lot would have to leave, which would mean less money into their economy as expats would have to seek shelter elsewhere, i.e. more bang for their pensions, without having to spend 1/12th of their pension on insurance, i.e. if they can actually get it, e.g. too old, pre-existing conditions, etc, etc.

As for the marriage visa/extension, well, I think they know that if those expats were put under the same microscope, it would hurt a lot of families that those expats support as they too would have to follow the paths of the retired expats, to greener pastures, so to speak.

As for me, I can self insure and they are welcome to see my funds at every extension, but if they were hell bent on enforcing mandatory insurance, I would leave.

Just saying.

Edited by 4MyEgo

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Agreed.

if I recall correctly, 3 months prior to their application and money to stay in the bank for 4 months thereafter

You are recalling incorrectly - It is 2 months before and 3 months thereafter.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe the recent changes to expats on the retirement visa/extension having to have the 800,000 baht in the bank, if I recall correctly, 2 months prior to their application and money to stay in the bank for 3 months thereafter assures the Thai government that there will be 800,000 baht in their account for at least 7 months of the year

already answered by calbts2

Edited by steve187

I think all O extensions will be required to buy a very expensive and worthless policy. Further, I do not think other insurance will be accepted. For instance, I have govt insurance and two other policies all from employers. Further, I think companies will allow to reject simply based on age as they currently do.

My opinion after 30 years in out of Thailand

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

I think all O extensions will be required to buy a very expensive and worthless policy. Further, I do not think other insurance will be accepted. For instance, I have govt insurance and two other policies all from employers. Further, I think companies will allow to reject simply based on age as they currently do.

My opinion after 30 years in out of Thailand

You use a lot of "I think" and "I do not think".

Excellent work. BTW 30 years in los counts zip.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You use a lot of "I think" and "I do not think".

Excellent work. BTW 30 years in los counts zip.

I find his post perfectly acceptable and reasonable.  I like that he told us what he based his opinion on.  Maybe Jack you can rewrite it the way you dictate it should be written so we can learn from you??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You find my posts a bit strange because obviously you are not understanding their points.  For example here, I was pointing out that use of “I think” is perfectly acceptable, you used it yourself and then said it is a matter of opinion, correct.  You get a A.

But you often seem to be controlling and micromanaging other posters here.  Then you criticized his long term status here as a kick on your way out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Whether the will require this insurance or not is at present mere speculation and scare mongering. Nobody knows, so why did the OP post?

IF it happens, (and I think it will), the problem is the requirement to use ONLY local approved Thai insurance companies, which charge too much for very limited cover. If they are going to make health insurance mandatory it is surely illegal to try and force us to use a particular insurance company. We ought to be able to use one of our own choosing as far better coverage is available elsewhere for less cost.

Our embassies ought to have complained about this already as it has been applied to the OA visa, but as usual they do nothing for us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve187 said:

already answered by calbts2

Yes I went in to edit it after I confirmed it on Google and it allowed me to change it from 3 down to 2 and 4 down to 3 but before I could change the 7 to 5 it booted me out with no more editing allowed, so yes its 2 & 3 with 400,000 having to remain in the account for the remainder of the which is pretty much what they want cover for those on the O/A, which tells me it's a sort of forced self insure situation without the angst, if that makes sense.

We have to understand, that the ten or twelves companies that have gotten MoH approval have made an investment to achieve this. There were in all likelihood sizeable brown envelope involved as this is Thailand. Now they will see their prospective market shrink as many of us will shift to Non-O, so one can easily understand the kind of lobbying that they will make to regain their lost advantage. The whole thing was inspired by one sole motivation: fleecing us and they won't stop before they get what they wanted. 

35 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

We have to understand, that the ten or twelves companies that have gotten MoH approval have made an investment to achieve this. There were in all likelihood sizeable brown envelope involved as this is Thailand. Now they will see their prospective market shrink as many of us will shift to Non-O, so one can easily understand the kind of lobbying that they will make to regain their lost advantage. The whole thing was inspired by one sole motivation: fleecing us and they won't stop before they get what they wanted.

I understand what you are saying, but 'fleecing us' was for sure not the sole reason for enforcing health-insurance on post Oct 31 issued OA Visas. 

I agree with drJack54 (and several other TVF members) that the implementation went horribly wrong, and that it was never the intention to impose health-insurance on extensions of stay for OA Visas dating from yesteryear.

It's now 2 months it was imposed, and for sure more difficult with every passing day to turn back the clock without horrible loss-of-face for IO.  So, most probably, they will leave it this way (meaning health-insurance required for extensions of ALL OA Visas for reason of retirement), but imo they will NOT embark on a further March of Fully to enforce it also on O - retirement Visas.

Edited by Peter Denis

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

but 'fleecing us' was for sure not the sole reason for enforcing health-insurance

If forcing people to get a totally useless extra cover on top of an excellent health plan, isn't fleecing; so what is?

Ok, maybe "sole" was the keyword in your statement, I am past the "diplomatic" stage after 5 years in this dump.

7 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

If forcing people to get a totally useless extra cover on top of an excellent health plan, isn't fleecing; so what is?

A mis-communication cocktail of 20% greed and 80% incompetence

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1