Need a security camera to catch thieves

noopin2014

Hi, we are living in countryside in the middle of rice field. Many times in the night or very early in the morning some thieves stole some work tools in our tool shack. So now we would like to install a camera to identify the people. Could you recommend me a model with a night vision you use ?

Cheers

I use EZVIZ C6C, very good resolution at night, auto detection if you want, IR light, alarm via SMS for movement detection. Bought at ITCom in Pattaya, 2 for 1990B, but available online also. Needs electricity, WiFi, can operate on SD card or for more safety upload to a (paid for) cloud. App of course available for both iphone and android. Using it for 2 years, no issues

One of the problems of using pictures is they can always be contested "that is not me."

You'll need a lot of light.  Maybe one approach would be to include a motion detector in the shed that lights the place up, possibly sets off an alarm.  Caught red-handed in the glare of the lights expect an excuse like "I'm looking for my dog."

A friend of mine went to a hotel and his room wasn't ready yet, so they let him leave his bag and he went out for a short while.  He returned and his bag was gone.  They looked at the security tape, and sure enough there was a guy carrying out his bag, not a good enough image to identify him. A lot of good the cameras did.

1 minute ago, david555 said:

if you train him not to accept meat / food …..others you just need to buy a new buddy...

Actually most people OP is concerned about would not approach home with an alarm dog; much less kill him. 

As has been pointed out a security camera may not be a lot of help. Even if you identify the culprit what are you going to do? Go to the police who would probably not be interested or confront him which could not turn out well.

You could set up a system of flashing lights and loud car horns that would be triggered by a switch when the door is opened. Arrange a bright light at each wall of the shed so the would be thief would be illuminated where ever he was and aloud klaxon horn to attract attention.

This could easily be set up using a car battery secured inside the shed that would probably only need charging every few months.

:smile:  

On 12/30/2019 at 6:00 PM, Daffy D said:

Arrange a bright light at each wall of the shed so the would be thief would be illuminated where ever he was and aloud klaxon horn to attract attention.

Personally I'd go for the four-legged K9 security system.

I agree with @david555.

I once purchased a trained Doberman to guard a fenced in car lot. When the professional guard dog trainer arrived in a van with barred windows, all I saw was teeth behind the glass and bars.

I said to the trainer, "how am I expected to handle this dog". He explained, "once I introduce you, she'll be a baby to you, but only to you".

On that point he was right. Over the years, she did bite persons on two separate occasions who promptly reported the bite to the police. On both occasions, the police attended and cleared me as the trespassers ignored the warning signs.

However! I eventually learned that certain people had a habit of taking meat to my dog and petting her (while business was closed). She readily took their food and sucked up the attention. So as noted by another poster, poison that meat and the guard dog is nullified.

There are many suggestions in this thread. Many solutions offered. It may take a dog, lights, camera, loud horn ..... I'd pass on the king cobra and electrified bench and tools.

Personally, I think the motion-detection-activated lights and a horn would do the trick.

Solar powered motion sensor flood light.

Camera with audible alarm.

Four legged friend that gets noisy.

That will deter most opportunists.

A determined thief, not much will stop them, accept physical presence or intervention and that could be dangerous. 

Archived