Darwin award latest! Tax evading Italian with 500 million baht watch planned to fly out same day

webfact

5 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

My understanding of the Darwin Award was for people who remove themselves from the gene pool, not just stupidity.

True, but still only a matter of time :dry:

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My 6000 baht smartphone tells me the time just as well, and does a lot of other things besides. Why would one want to carry something on their wrist that would tempt any thug to cut their arm off?

Two points to raise about this comment:

#1) ‘I can tell the time on my smart phone’ is point commonly used by those who fail (either deliberately so or through naivety) to point out the pointlessness of watches, the same could be argued for any item of jewelry or designer wear etc and even cars, all of which can get from A-B etc etc...  Its just an item of jewelry and in many cases these items increase in value over time.

#2) Someone who can afford such a vastly expensive watch is unlikely to find themselves in a position to be exposed to a ‘snatch thief’ or thug. Equally so, they are unlikely to be wearing the item on a day to day basis. 

One of Prawit's watches, the Richard Mille, is worth about 5million baht - its unlikey he is ever in a position to be exposed to thievery such as you mentioned. On the other hand I face a higher risk of having my phone or watch snatched. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve been passing through the green channel for the past 20 years, firstly at Don Muang and for the past 14 years or so through Suvarnabumi - not once have I been stopped by customs. 

I wonder how many people have never been stopped. 

Something very strange going on with this story, the ‘tip off’ seems most feasible, if one were to enjoy a little conspiracy there would also one a tendency to agree with your last comment 'whoever ordered the watch decided to get it at a cheaper price’ !!!! some sneaky goings on !!!

I have been stopped twice, my wife once - in 12 years of trips at least twice per year. Never had any issues, though.