yellow book (again)

Back in May, I asked about what is required to get a yellow book. The most popular opinion was that a certified copy of your passport, translated and stamped by MFA is needed. Of course, many Amphurs are creators of arbitrary extras but we'll see about that later. I gave up the chase at the time but now I have some energy for another shot at the Holy Grail of a Yellow Book.

I happen to be going to the Oz embassy in BKK next week for another matter so I thought I'd get a certified copy of my passport while I'm at it. The advice was take the certified copy to MFA and have them stamp it. Hang on! Doesn't the certified copy have to be translated into Thai by a 3rd party and then that is stamped? Or do the MFA offer translation? Or because my certified copy is in in English it doesn't need (full) translation.? I'm confused.

I see some comments about the need for your name to be in Thai. I am married and the marriage was in Thailand so I have a Thai translation of my name already so that should do the job?

Op, the whole reason to get a certified translation of your passport is to have a MFA certified translation of your name. Yes, your marriage documents already contain an MFA certified translation of your name, so the ampher should accept it and no reason to get passport translation, best to enquire directly to the ampher..

I used marriage docs at Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Doesn't the certified copy have to be translated into Thai by a 3rd party and then that is stamped? Or do the MFA offer translation? Or because my certified copy is in in English it doesn't need (full) translation.? I'm confused.

The MFA certifies the translation, they dont do translations but there are translation people in the same building.

Embassy gives you a letter/stamp saying genuine passport/copy, get the letter/copy and passport translated, MFA certifies the translation.

Start at ampher and ask requirements, some may also want parents names translated (again, already done in marriage docs)

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Lopburi, no passport translating needed.

If you do need it translated/legalized, I suggest going to a translation shop in Bangkok. 

I needed mine done for another thing and sent a copy to the shop. They translated it and sent it to the MoFA then sent it back to me. All for about 1000 baht.

• Thanks 1

The manual issued by DOPA clearly tells all district offices what documents are required but like any Thai instruction/rule each office applies different interpretation. The manual states a Thai government office must verify translations, in Bangkok that is normally MFA.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

The manual issued by DOPA clearly tells all district offices what documents are required but like any Thai instruction/rule each office applies different interpretation. The manual states a Thai government office must verify translations, in Bangkok that is normally MFA.

I believe the MFA does not verify the translation but it authenticates the signature of the translator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

...When we went for the passport translation I took along our marriage certificate and asked if the Thai spelling for my passport could, for continuity, be spelt the same as my marriage certificate. The Amphur accepted this translation so the same Thai spelling is the same in the yellow book (and on my pink ID card).

If the district office already has the Thai script for your on record, for example from a marriage registration, they will not allow a different Thai script for the house registration book and the ID card. Also the names of your parents are taken from that record for the house registration book.

• Thanks 1

I have just been through this process in Isaan in a small rural amphur office. At first the officials seemed to me to be a little obstructive. However I came to the realization that I was possible either the first foreigner or the first for a long time to apply for a yellow book in my amphur. The official was a little unsure of the process and wanting to do it correctly. I had already registered my marriage at the amphur which was for various reasons was a difficult process. ( we married abroad in a country which was not my home country and my wife had died 6 months earlier being the two main ones ).

The three documents I needed for the yellow book were translation of my birth certificate, my marriage registration document ( 22 ) and legalized/translated copy of my passport. Important that your name is translated consistently through all documents ( one of my documents was not consistent with the other two and hence I needed a second trip to Bangkok )

After all documents were presented correctly, I had a formal interview. My mother and father in law had to present themselves with ID card and house book as did the poo yai baan. I had to go back the following day with a Thai friend who has good english skills as my language skills whilst reasonable are not up reading and signing the 1.5 page document the official composed after the interview. My friend read and then clearly explained to me the document I was signing. A week or so later the amphur official called to confirm that I could come and pick up the yellow book.

They issued the pink ID card on the day I went in to get the yellow book. Took some time, maybe 3-4 hours from start to finish, but again they seemed to be doing things very carefully so as not to make a mistake because they seldom if ever I guess did the pink ID cards. They made several phone calls during the process. 

Big takeaway for me, if you are in a small amphur with few resident foreigners, be polite but persistent and be patient. 

• Thanks 1

You can get translation service inside the MFA provided by an agent with office/kiosk. They are certified by MFA to do translations, they will also legalize the translation at MFA for you and mail the documents to you via EMS (the process takes a few days). You can select any combination of these services, or the complete package. Now, it is important that if your amphur requires any other document from you that has your name in Thai script (for example marriage certificate), you need to make sure that your name in the translated passport will show the same Thai script spelling. You could provide the translation service people with a copy the marriage certificate, to make sure.

Avoid the translation touts outside the building, they are not certified by the MFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

If the district office already has the Thai script for your on record, for example from a marriage registration, they will not allow a different Thai script for the house registration book and the ID card. Also the names of your parents are taken from that record for the house registration book.

Not so. We were married in Bangkok about 12/13 years ago but have always lived in Chonburi, which is where I applied for the yellow book, I think about five years ago. Also both my parents were dead when I got married so didn't give their names in Thai (definitely) when we married and as far as I remember not in English either.

Also, as I said previously, I was told (at the Amphur in Chonburi) that the reason for the passport translation was for the official and correct Thai translation of my name that was to be put in the yellow book. They needed that translation because they DIDN'T already have it in their records.

I really cannot understand your problems my yellow book took no more than 20 minutes to obtain . I presented my blue book  ( house book ) my passport and my Thai marriage certificate ( I am not married to a Thai ) paid a small fee was issued with a yellow book and a pink ID card . I recently purchased a vehicle all I produced was my yellow book and pink ID card no question asked.

6 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I really cannot understand your problems my yellow book took no more than 20 minutes to obtain . I presented my blue book  ( house book ) my passport and my Thai marriage certificate ( I am not married to a Thai ) paid a small fee was issued with a yellow book and a pink ID card . I recently purchased a vehicle all I produced was my yellow book and pink ID card no question asked.

Its not the OP...its the Tessabhan he is dealing with. You Like I was lucky it was so easy...however over the years many threads on the different documents required from different provinces making it almost impossible for some to obtain.

• Like 1

Some embassies/consulates issues letters for the amphoe when applying for the yellow house book. You might need an official document from back home showing parents name and birth dates (even if they are deceased). The need for parents names differs between amphoes. 

23 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Hang on! Doesn't the certified copy have to be translated into Thai by a 3rd party and then that is stamped? Or do the MFA offer translation? Or because my certified copy is in in English it doesn't need (full) translation.? I'm confused.

You shall ask in a local forum for the area where you live and wish a Yellow Book to be issued; demands are different and vary from "a piece of cake" (based on post in Thaivisa forum)  to almost same as applying for permanent residency, except language test and singing national hymn (where I live)...????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Not so. We were married in Bangkok about 12/13 years ago but have always lived in Chonburi, which is where I applied for the yellow book, I think about five years ago. Also both my parents were dead when I got married so didn't give their names in Thai (definitely) when we married and as far as I remember not in English either...

Please see the attachment. Have the spaces for your parents' names been left blank on page 2 of your house registration book?

Yellow Tabien Baan annotated - parents names.jpg

On 1/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, Isaan Alan said:

I see some comments about the need for your name to be in Thai. I am married and the marriage was in Thailand so I have a Thai translation of my name already so that should do the job?

The yellow book also needs the names from your parents translated in Thai... ( place of birth, occupation, all that kind information... ) 
Kind of translation of your birth certificate will do the trick ( did for me )
They enter all your information in the computer system, not everything is printed in the yellow book dough.

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

You won the Thai bureaucracy lottery!

I see you are in Ko Samui. I was married there and they were excellent even providing a second Thai witness because I only had one. It did take 2 or 3 hours.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:
7 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Not so. We were married in Bangkok about 12/13 years ago but have always lived in Chonburi, which is where I applied for the yellow book, I think about five years ago. Also both my parents were dead when I got married so didn't give their names in Thai (definitely) when we married and as far as I remember not in English either...

Please see the attachment. Have the spaces for your parents' names been left blank on page 2 of your house registration book?

Yes, of course my parents names are in my yellow book, my wife and I decided on the Thai translation and wrote it down for the Amphur. No official translation was necessary.

BUT, it's a pity you don't read the posts first before commenting! You wrote:

I simply replied to confirm that was not asked for or supplied (in English or Thai) my parents names for our marriage registration!

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

You may not have been here long enough to understand how different offices in different districts in different provinces all have different interpretations of what is required and what isn’t, in addition to this with the annual promotions and shifts in position the decision maker changes and with the the requirements. 

Thus: what’s good for one Amphur office one year may very well change the next, there will also be differences in the requirements between different Amphur offices - as frustrating as it is, that’s the way it is - its best to accept, contact the Amphur office and color within the lines they specify. 

As Issan Alan wrote, Crazykipote won the 'Thai bureaucracy lottery’ !... I, on the other hand fall at the opposite end of the 'Thai bureaucracy lottery’ spectrum: 

I have decided to get the Tambien Baan *(Yellow house book) as proof of address for the purposes of renewing my driving license (*more on this later).

While securing the Blue Tambien Baan (we recently moved) my Wife asked the local Amphur office (Suan Luang Bangkok) of the requirements for the Yellow Book. 

Firstly the Amphur Office did not recognize my Visa (Thai Elite) and said there were only two types of Visa issued to foreigners a) Work Permit and b) Non-Immigrant Visa (wrong) and they could only issue the Yellow House Book to holder of these visa’s (yes, I know WP is not even a Visa), my Wife argued the that I do in fact hold a visa which is not Non-Immigrant (Thai Elite Visa) which they were not aware of - my Wife left the issue there rather than argue with Amphur staff which hold the power but not he intellect !

Upon return to collect the Blue House Book the same officer at the Amphur office had obviously done a little research and recognized the different Visas for foreigners and provided a list of requirements:

- Marriage Certificate (in Thai)

- Blue House Book (of my Wife)

- MFA Certified Translation of a Notarised Copy of my Passport (in Colour - Original). 

(Names in the Marriage certificate and Translation of Passport must match exactly)

So.. after visiting the British Embassy, getting a copy of my Passport Notarised, going to Chaeng Wattana, getting an ‘official’ translation, going up to the MFA getting the translation verified / certified (waiting 3 days for it to be returned in the post) I then had to make an appointment with the Amphur - none available until after new-year !!!

I’m not sure what happens next !!! it’ll either go smoothly from now on, or another document will be required and I’ll get the run around !!! 

*Regarding the Driving license - I’ve read (on this forum) that some DLT’s do not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address... this would be rather frustrating after jumping through hoops.

Has anyone renewed their Driving Licence at the DLT in Bangkok (Area 3, next to 99 Sukhumvit rd) using their Yellow house book as proof of address ????