Where to donate all of my belongings?

dcnx

On 1/6/2020 at 5:24 AM, amexpat said:

This seems like a fourteen year old in a sixty year old body.

What feeble attempt at xenophobic humor. 

Find an open mic comedy club and see how you do. 

The OP seems to be a kind, good hearted person. 

Why so negative? That is the sort of thing one could do. I just left stuff on the road.

Orphanages will be grateful.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:23 AM, dcnx said:

I’d rather give items to people who need them and not someone who will just resell them.

I went away for a month and my wife's relatives stole everything. We were getting divorced when I came back, so they probably thought it was OK to steal all the stupid farang's stuff.

12 hours ago, Dexxter said:

A couple of days ago a Korean woman moved out from our floor in the condo. She left a huge pile of stuff near the central rubbish area, everything from clothing to electrical goods, computer, kitchen appliances, etc. The cleaners seemed to be very happy to collect all the items for their own use or perhaps resale. In my opinion, they are probably the most deserving to get these items since they are most likely overworked and underpaid. We do the same back in Australia by leaving stuff out on the street that we no longer need and think someone else might be able to use. RE-USE. ????

My last year I lived in an hotel. I gave everything I didn't want to send home to the hotel staff. The receptionist got my computer- she was soooooooo happy.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My last year I lived in an hotel. I gave everything I didn't want to send home to the hotel staff. The receptionist got my computer- she was soooooooo happy.

Good. If one gives stuff to hotel staff or cleaners wherever one stays, then you don't have to concern yourself with organising transportation to wherever it is going. Also staff are low-paid so these things help. What they do with it afterwards, don't worry about it. Someone will use it somewhere down the line.

44 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Good. If one gives stuff to hotel staff or cleaners wherever one stays, then you don't have to concern yourself with organising transportation to wherever it is going. Also staff are low-paid so these things help. What they do with it afterwards, don't worry about it. Someone will use it somewhere down the line.

I think if one chooses to give it to an orphanage they would pick it up.

I had 2 computers and was going to give one to the local orphanage, but it died before I could. I'd already promised the other to the receptionist so I didn't check any further about the orphanage.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why so negative? That is the sort of thing one could do. I just left stuff on the road.

Orphanages will be grateful.

Negative about implying that Thai neighbors are thieves, burglars. 

19 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Have a yard sale. Sell everything really cheap. Then donate the proceeds to a good charity. It will leave you feeling good as you leave Thailand. 

Rooster

That’s not a bad idea.

I wonder if I should let immigration know beforehand if that’s what I choose to do so they don’t pounce on me for not having a work permit.   

What a bizarre thing to even have to worry about. ???? 

Edited by dcnx

On 1/6/2020 at 2:44 PM, geisha said:

Orphanages, who can then sell what they don’t need. All those little kids need all the donations they can get. People who live here should donate their toys, kids clothes, etc. All to help.

I will most likely be leaving Thailand in the not so distant future and my original plan was to stay here so have accumulated a bit of stuff. So I will try to sell some to try recoup a few baht but what I don't sell I will donate to an orphanage. I have already donated stuff a couple times to one in Chiang Mai.

I foolishly asked a senior monk a Buddhist related question....he just explained how he needed a new fan. Hmm, maybe this was

a lesson ?  I think they do need street clothes donations to sneak out at night. DVD's and toasters would make life easier.

Seriously, If I was in this position..and I am not a Buddhist or a female, I would talk with your local group of Maechi (female monks).

They are the most underrated, poorly sponsored group of monks in Thailand. They are shy of course, but when relaxed with you, they have a great sense of humour. Many are well educated and speak English, but often disrespected and donations of food and tangible items quite sparse.    

Sounds like someone didn't make friends with his less fortunate neighbors.

We know dozens of folks we often give the stuff that we no longer use. Yes; some gets resold. But, it is sold by people who can truly use the money.

I already have designates for much of my bigger stuff when I pass on. 

On 1/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, kingofthemountain said:

AFAIK buddhist temples in Thailand accept only food or money donations

Just a couple weeks ago, a local temple came by the village with a large truck to haul off the neighborhood discards. Most of the stuff will be converted to cash for the temple, either sold or recycled. Some of it will go to the workers collecting, sorting and otherwise helping out. 

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Sounds like someone didn't make friends with his less fortunate neighbors.

I don’t have less fortunate neighbors. 

Our maids and security guards already had a go but they only took insignificant items like coat hangers, plastic dishes, tools, and other small odds and ends that we really didn’t even notice were gone. We tried to get them to take more but they wouldn’t. 

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

I don’t have less fortunate neighbors. 

Our maids and security guards already had a go but they only took insignificant items like coat hangers, plastic dishes, tools, and other small odds and ends that we really didn’t even notice were gone. We tried to get them to take more but they wouldn’t. 

Oh my ...

My immediate neighbors, in our moo baan, are physicians , dentists, and other professionals. However, surrounding our little enclave, there are plenty of moto-taxi drivers, street vendors, and such, all living in the greater neighborhood. With most, we are on first name basis. There are also many people we have befriended at our local morning market. 

3 minutes ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Pile it up and have a big bonfire and add to the pollution. (im obviously joking before the greenies start attacking me.)

"obviously joking" implies that you think that's funny.  Really? 

Probably not offensive to greenies because it's just plain silly. 

The 'humor' on TV in general desperately needs an upgrade. 

C'mon guys, you can do better, I hope. 

• Thanks 1