UK election result 'blew away' argument for second Brexit vote: Labour's Starmer

webfact

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Talk about cherry picking, you now want to ignore the referendum result.

So you are suggesting that because the Scots voted by 62% in 2016 to remain in the EU that means today they want to leave the UK, is this what your telling me Sandy?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

Now I am no expert on this RR but would you say there are voters in Scotland that are not being represented by their respective parties.

The SNP secured 48 seats with 1.25million voters.

The Labour Party secured 1 seat with just under half of what the SNP received, as the chart explains, same with the Tories only 6 seats won with 692,939 votes.

The SNP needed 25,000 votes to win one seat, whereas the Tories needed 115,000 votes to win one seat?

Screenshot_2020-01-24-14-30-14-115.thumb.jpeg.e96c73267ff1aa82cdbeb1bce364318d.jpeg

Look at the votes per seat for the conservatives and labour. 

Kind of undermines your argument.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yes I've looked, "The SNP secured 25,882 per MP, while it took 115,489 votes to elect each Conservative, 65,854 for the Liberal Democrats and a whopping 511,838 votes per Labour MP." 

Does that not seem strange to you, a tad disproportionate?

The votes per seat does not reflect the actual vote process. 

Taking Scotland as per your example more people when presented with a choice chose am SNP candidate to represent their constituency.

Simply agregating all the parties vote and then dividing by the number of seats won is absurd.

if we was to use this as a measure of democratic representation the Green Party would in the majority with over 800,000 votes per seat.

17 hours ago, vogie said:

So you are suggesting that because the Scots voted by 62% in 2016 to remain in the EU that means today they want to leave the UK, is this what your telling me Sandy?

Like you, and everyone else, I have no idea if the majority would actually vote to leave the UK or not.

If 52% was considered an overwhelming mandate for brexit, then 62% must be a compelling reason to ask the question again.

As pointed out by the Institute for Government, Westminster is "Deaf" as far as Scotland is concerned. The manifesto pledge has been carried out so it will be up to the Scottish parliament to decide the next move.

There is every chance that Bojo is deliberately trying to antagonise Scotland into making a move that he cannot be blamed for, would certainly suit him for Scotland to be out of the way.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Unfortunately you can't please all of the people all of the time. It took 3.5 years for the government to defeat the remain establishment in the HoC. Would you expect them to argue with the devolved administrations for another 3.5 years, 5 years, 10 years?  I mean, it's not like the devolved administrations are going to support any form of Brexit. 

We just need to move on. 

Are you trying to say that if the conservatives had taken control of the Scottish parliament they would not have supported brexit,

or do you mean that if the conservatives had taken control it would no longer be a devolved administration.

You are certainly right on one thing, Scotland needs to move on and decide for itself the way forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Like you, and everyone else, I have no idea if the majority would actually vote to leave the UK or not.

If 52% was considered an overwhelming mandate for brexit, then 62% must be a compelling reason to ask the question again.

As pointed out by the Institute for Government, Westminster is "Deaf" as far as Scotland is concerned. The manifesto pledge has been carried out so it will be up to the Scottish parliament to decide the next move.

There is every chance that Bojo is deliberately trying to antagonise Scotland into making a move that he cannot be blamed for, would certainly suit him for Scotland to be out of the way.

Please don't go all paranoid on me Sandy, Boris is trying to antagonise Scotland, perleeeeaase.

Let's not forget you were part of the 52%, it was a UK referendum.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You may be right, but I haven't seen the polls showing a clear desire for Scottish independence. 

We all know how reliable polls are, there is only one poll that would count.

The Scottish government is not demanding independence just asking that the people of Scotland be given the opportunity to choose.

It is only the twisted view of Westminster that in light of present circumstances they do not have a valid case.

There is a fundamental difference between Scotland and England, Scotland accepted freedom of movement and England did not, only the naive would think that is ever going to change.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Let's not forget you were part of the 52%, it was a UK referendum.

I was not part of your 52%

Brexiteers refuse to accept that the referendum was fundamentally flawed and should never have been held in the first place. There is no other union in the world that holds a referendum across different nations. Of course we realise the English do not recognise Scotland as a nation and just impose their will as they see fit.

The UK got away with the only 2 other national referendums because the result was decisive. The 3rd was a different matter, with a contentious result is has highlighted the consequences of such an exercise.

Despite what the brexiteers want to think, there is no rosy future for the UK, a sad sate of affairs that they alone voted for.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I was not part of your 52%

Brexiteers refuse to accept that the referendum was fundamentally flawed and should never have been held in the first place. There is no other union in the world that holds a referendum across different nations. Of course we realise the English do not recognise Scotland as a nation and just impose their will as they see fit.

The UK got away with the only 2 other national referendums because the result was decisive. The 3rd was a different matter, with a contentious result is has highlighted the consequences of such an exercise.

Despite what the brexiteers want to think, there is no rosy future for the UK, a sad sate of affairs that they alone voted for.

Despite what the SNP thinks, there will be a rosy future for our UK, it is just so sad that so many people wish that not to happen as they would hate to be proven wrong. 

But untill you have a majority of the Scots wanting another referendum (I don't need to remind you of the result of the first one) you havn't got a leg to stand on. Always somebody elses fault.

But first you must honour the promise that both Sturgeon and Salmond gave to the Scottish people, once in a lifetime and generation statement.

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that if the conservatives had taken control of the Scottish parliament they would not have supported brexit,

or do you mean that if the conservatives had taken control it would no longer be a devolved administration.

You are certainly right on one thing, Scotland needs to move on and decide for itself the way forward.

No, I'm saying even if the devolved parliaments object to the Brexit deal, what do you expect the UK government to do - carry on debating it for another few years? The devolved parliaments are never going to agree a deal, so we as a United Kingdom have to move on or face a never ending game of ping-pong. 

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

sure,

but by and large - EU does not work that way

the general MO is that concerned memeber states have already said YES to the treatment they enjoy/suffer

pretty much like the way in which UK has said explicitly yes to all they perceive as awfull with EU

UK has actively built the terrible EU - don't forget that

much of what you dislike with EU is pretty much your fault

Exactly. The UK has been particularly influencial in promoting a liberal economic agenda, supporting the accession of Eastern European countries, and accelerating the free movement of workers from these countries.

• Like 1