UK election result 'blew away' argument for second Brexit vote: Labour's Starmer

webfact

1 hour ago, vogie said:

There is only the SNP and its deluded followers that are saying that this is a damaging union, most Scots (as proven) do not share your views nor the SNPs. Speak for yourself by all means but it is not very democratic to speak for your fellow Scots in such a way as if they do not matter.

So you agree you only speak for a little over a third of the country when you talk about the EU being bad? 

But semantics and hypocrisy aside, my point was more related to the breaching of the terms of the Act of Union. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

But my point is, it should be the majority of the Scottish people to decide their future and not the SNP and its starry eyed followers deciding for them. Do you think that it is only the SNP that should decide this, if I was a unionist Scot I would be pretty damn grieved by which the SNP shows contempt to the rest of its citizens.

The union is based upon a legal agreement. If that agreement is breached then the elected government of Scotland should respond appropriately.

It is not the SNP that is wilfully breaching the act. Should they close their eyes to the wilful debasement of the very founding principles of the United Kingdom? If not them, then who should ensure that the terms are preserved? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

The union is based upon a legal agreement. If that agreement is breached then the elected government of Scotland should respond appropriately.

It is not the SNP that is wilfully breaching the act. Should they close their eyes to the wilful debasement of the very founding principles of the United Kingdom? If not them, then who should ensure that the terms are preserved? 

Irrespective of what the majority of the Scots think, very democratic, not.

Incidentally how can the Union breach this act, when the UK union voted in a democratic vote for it, sounds like another way to make a point that doesn't really exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

think maybe I misunderstood that one,

I assume you didn't mean fess up and introduce allowances for fascism and undemocratic governance,

(thats how I read your entry)

I thought that your description matched the EU better than Poland and Hungary.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vogie said:

Irrespective of what the majority of the Scots think, very democratic, not.

Incidentally how can the Union breach this act, when the UK union voted in a democratic vote for it, sounds like another way to make a point that doesn't really exist.

The union didn't breach it, Westminster did. That they voted in favour of Brexit is irrelevant - their imposition of a variation in trading terms between countries within the union is in direct contravention of one of the fundamental tenets of the act. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Johnson does detail as much as he does honesty. I don't think this will feature high up on his radar. 

Dying? Seriously? Did you write that with any hint of self consciousness at all?

Do you see the Scottish tories as a threat? If so, they are definitely playing the long game, what with their number of MPs almost halving at the last GE? Labour? They are in even worse shape, down to a single MP in Scotland. The SNP got the largest voter share of any party either in Scotland or the UK since the 30s. 

So please elaborate on why the SNP is dying, and just who the threat is because the Nasty party continues to be as despised as it is ridiculed in Scotland. 

The threat from the SNP will deminish as UK ascends post Brexit.

image.jpeg.2e265764ad1dc722a1fc765bd8dfae8b.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

So do you have any evidence that the Scots (one T by the way) wish to leave our union. 

So do you have any evidence otherwise after England decided to leave the EU?

You did say.. 

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

Your biggest mistake here is referring to the SNP as the Scottish people, must do better!

.. to which I replied accordingly. 

I'm not keen to participate in discussion, where you jump around like a rabbit in a field, while an eagle is watching for a snack from above. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Centre for Economic Policy Research has published a paper showing that, to date, Brexit has, so far, cost the average household £870 a year. 

https://cepr.org/active/publications/discussion_papers/dp.php?dpno=14176

A bit about this CEPR from their own site:

CEPR has a diverse funding base. Funds are raised from the private and public sector, and from foundations. Corporate Members in the financial, private and public sectors in CEPR's membership programme provide core income. They include firms such as investment banks, consultancies, asset managers and government agencies. The financial sector currently makes up two thirds of the membership base. However there is a trend toward broadening the membership base among the other sectors. We now have, for example, the support of most European Union Central Banks as well as the ECB, World Bank, IMF, EBRD and the BIS. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheDark said:

So do you have any evidence otherwise after England decided to leave the EU?

You did say.. 

.. to which I replied accordingly. 

I'm not keen to participate in discussion, where you jump around like a rabbit in a field, while an eagle is watching for a snack from above. 

Squaak!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheDark said:

I agree that those terms are how referendums of very important issues should be hold. 

The problem is, that requiring those reasons, pretty much invalids the whole Brexit referendum in 2016. Had those rules been applied, Brexit would not have happened, Brexit would not had even majority if the British living abroad had been able to vote. 

10 years is probably too long time during these turbulent times. 4 years might be better as it allows the dust to settle after Brexit for people to see to which way the UK is developing towards. 

If UK is showing good signs and the relationship with EU is close and fulfilling, then Scottish people would probably want to stay. If not, then it's time to get out. 

But even before that, it's time to listen to the Scottish people. 

10/10 for trying. ????

That makes it very trying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, vogie said:

Fact: The Scots have had a referendum already on independence. Are you denying this?

Good attempt at distraction, but this was your statement.

"But first you must honour the promise that both Sturgeon and Salmond gave to the Scottish people, once in a lifetime and generation statement."

So called "facts" require evidence, so again, no evidence that a promise was ever made would make it a delusion.

We await your evidence with bated breath.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Good attempt at distraction, but this was your statement.

"But first you must honour the promise that both Sturgeon and Salmond gave to the Scottish people, once in a lifetime and generation statement."

So called "facts" require evidence, so again, no evidence that a promise was ever made would make it a delusion.

We await your evidence with bated breath.

Well wait no longer Mr Twisty.

Alex Salmond has been accused of attempting to rewrite history after he dismissed as a “collective myth” his promise before the 2014 independence referendum that there would not be a rerun for a generation or even a lifetime.

The former First Minister claimed he had not used the phrase “once in a lifetime” in a 2014 television interview to describe the vote and insisted he had instead said it was the “opportunity of a lifetime.”

However, footage and an official transcript of the interview showed he did use the “once in a lifetime” phrase when asked whether he would pledge not to “bring back another referendum” if the nationalists lost.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/19/alex-salmond-accused-rewriting-history-lifetime-referendum-pledge/

But whatever evidence is placed in front of you, you are all too willing to dismiss it, so I look forward to your dismissal of this too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1