Britain to United States: We want a trade deal and a digital tax

snoop1130

Britain to United States: We want a trade deal and a digital tax

dfef.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Secretary Andrea Leadsom is seen outside 10 Downing Street London, Britain, January 21, 2020. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain wants a trade deal with the United States but will impose a digital service tax on the revenue of companies such as Google, Facebook and Amazon, business minister Andrea Leadsom said on Thursday.

“The United States and the United Kingdom are committed to entering into a trade deal with each other and we have a very strong relationship that goes back centuries so some of the disagreements that we might have over particular issues don’t in any way damage the excellent and strong and deep relationship between the U.S. and the UK,” Leadsom told Talk Radio.

“There are always tough negotiations and tough talk but I think where the tech tax is concerned it’s absolutely vital that these huge multinationals who are making incredible amounts of income and profit should be taxed and what we want to do is to work internationally with the rest of the world to cover with a proper regime that ensures that they’re paying their fair share.”

Under the British plan, tech companies that generate at least 500 million pounds ($657 million) a year in global revenue will pay a levy of 2% of the money they make from UK users from April 2020.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-23
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Under the British plan, tech companies that generate at least 500 million pounds ($657 million) a year in global revenue will pay a levy of 2% of the money they make from UK users from April 2020.

That sounds quite moderate taxation demand when starting the negotiations. Perhaps UK can increase it after some initial period?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Does the USA don't  knows , that they need the U.K. more than the U.K. need the USA ….????.....(history is repeating ...) 

Spoken like a true Brexiter/special relationship believer ???? I think France had a special relationship when they helped the US kick the Brits out too...would the Donald have seen that as an unfair asset/investment grab? ????

• Thanks 1

does nobody remember the days before entry into europe? what has britain gained from europe,before we traded worldwide and had some good deals. the americans,what have they given us,except a tremendous assistance in ww2,a debt i would have imagined should long have been repaid and bases removed from british soil. and yes i have had my own private brexit thank f---.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain wants a trade deal with the United States but will impose a digital service tax on the revenue of companies such as Google, Facebook and Amazon, business minister Andrea Leadsom said on Thursday.

So London wants? Great way to start out by threatening to tax U.S. companies. I say, let them squirm for a while. The E.U. is still a major trading partner for the U.S.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhonThong said:

So London wants? Great way to start out by threatening to tax U.S. companies. I say, let them squirm for a while. The E.U. is still a major trading partner for the U.S.. 

So London "wants "...( once more..) "their cake and eat it"  which E.U. could give if only they would accept the terms for it...

So now they try it to play on ....the real mumber 1 from western world ....hilarious....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

How exactly does that work?

A trade market of 60M, and a military which has been cut to the bone and barely functional.

What again does the US need the UK for?

Uk invents the  most  things

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Not like the USA has much success against its own tech giants:

The IRS Decided to Get Tough Against Microsoft. Microsoft Got Tougher.

For years, the company has moved billions in profits to Puerto Rico to avoid taxes. When the IRS pushed it to pay, Microsoft protested that the agency wasn’t being nice. Then it aggressively fought back in court, lobbied Congress and changed the law.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-irs-decided-to-get-tough-against-microsoft-microsoft-got-tougher

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Loiner said:

Of course they should be taxed. They have gotten away with it for so long. Although it would marginally affect (foreign) big business, it a sure fire Tory vote winner. 

Let the negotiations begin. 

....Tory vote winner.

You've gotta be kiddin' me!????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Are you trying to claim UK digital services companies never pay federal taxes in the US?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

America's first line of defence for one

Yes, I am so happy that in the case of a USA/Russia war, My country will become a scorched battleground while the USA public watches from their sofas and nibble popcorn .......  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1