Coronavirus outbreak has turned Asia’s best-performing currency into one of the worst

webfact

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

All of us who don't work here have a vested interest, in that we have to change our currency for baht. We generally love Thailand, but we have to think about surviving financially, therefore what's bad for Thailand is generally good for the exchange rate. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure we'd all be sympathetic during the present situation.

I appreciate and understand those things. But I have to say I have little sympathy for some longer term residents in that context because the opportunity was always there to transfer funds over many years, at a higher exchange rate. The only thing that prevented them from doing so was a lack of faith in the future of the Thai economy and a bizarre and abnormal distrust of Thai banks. For several years on TVF there were ongoing debates about falling exchange rates and a strengthening Baht, the writing was very clearly on the wall yet many chose to deny it. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The coronavirus fatalities are far worse than the Chinese authorities are admitting. Entire supply chains are being shut down as cities in China are in lockdown. It is not good news for anybody, with the possible exception of the medical industry.

Tis an ill wind that blows naebody any guid.......Rabbie Burns, I believe ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, champers said:

The Baht has moved from 39 to 40 against the pound. I won't be dancing in the streets till it gets to 50. Hope I'm still around to see it.

Yeh, the gbp rallied on Brexit becoming a reality.  Was heading for 42....... then Boris opened his mouth and it came back down.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Coronavirus outbreak has turned Asia’s best-performing currency into one of the worst

Corona is now responsible for everything that happens in Thailand, I expect the information soon that is also responsible for the breathable air and road deaths!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

For the expats working here and earning a good salary the high THB is great. 

But for all those who live here, the farang retreats and for example the Thai people, would you have forgotten them? who never leave their country because they do not have a passport or simply because they do not have the means to go outside the borders of the country, that complicates our life.

How many hundreds of expats live on royal wages?

Most expats live on a local contract, so far from earning a lot of money.
and I know pensions, eg my neighbor (4 km) Norwegian who has a more than comfortable retirement, about 180,000 baht fall on his Thai bank account every month;
well he is not happy at all because in recent years he has lost a lot on the exchange.

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

But for all those who live here, the farang retreats and for example the Thai people, would you have forgotten them? who never leave their country because they do not have a passport or simply because they do not have the means to go outside the borders of the country, that complicates our life.

How many hundreds of expats live on royal wages?

Most expats live on a local contract, so far from earning a lot of money.
and I know pensions, eg my neighbor (4 km) Norwegian who has a more than comfortable retirement, about 180,000 baht fall on his Thai bank account every month;
well he is not happy at all because in recent years he has lost a lot on the exchange.

A few points:

The number of Thai people travelling overseas rose from 8 million in 2018 to 12 million in 2019, solely on the back of a strong Baht.

I don't know any expats in Thailand who are employed but I do know quite a few who are retired and most have assets in the middle wealth category, keep 800k in the bank for visa purposes year round and live in houses that are worth at least 6 million baht. I for one keep several million baht in Thai banks and I know other who do the same, simply because it's a strong currency and doing so avoids exchange rate worries.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Going to get worse before it gets better, lots going to lose out in businesses etc etc, hopefully night in life from the virus, it's only money, up/down, if people are not too heavily in debt, those in business, they will survive, but I know Thai's love to borrow.

The above said, will be keeping my eye on some opportunities, might be a few Rolex's up for sale cheap in a month or two or three.

No. His salary will. not be affected!! 555

Where has this economist been? There have been numerous articles and agencies stating that Thailand is too dependent on China. Just jumping on the bandwagon to get some publicity? Sounds more like a Thai politician. And going from 30.80 to 31 against the dollar is only a ripple in the garbage strewn bay of Thailand.

Yes, well it's still only barely 31 to the dollar. And that's the official rate. You'll still get a measly 30 at the exchange. It will take a massive bubonic plague combined with millions rioting in the streets to get it to a lousy 32. 

Edited by Dustdevil

7 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Why buy when you can borrow 

Funny that, a mate of mine over here on holidays purchased a Rolex for around 20K back in the old country and as I was going back for a holiday in two weeks, he asked me if I could take it back for him and give it to him when I arrive.

He was scared of being pulled up as he didn't want to pay back the discount he got, i.e. 10% GST or something like that, I said, I would do it, all care taken but no responsibility on my part if lost, stolen or damaged, although I said I would keep it in my safe, he said it's insured, and he want me to wear it all the time, I said no way, not going to feel comfortable and don't want to get mugged, my way or the highway, he reluctantly said yes and I gave it back to him in the home country.

As for me ever buying a Rolex, could easily afford one, 2, 3 of them but my ego will never be that big, am happy with my 2,000 baht fitbiz ????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Only 12% of Thai exports go to China, Thailand is far more dependent on the US market if anything.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/thailands-top-import-partners/

External from China is where Thailand became dependent.  Purchases of Military goods, and importing the tourists as the primary source of tourism.  Should have spread the wealth and not been so hard on the Western/European tourists.  Back in 2011 the Visa from the US to come here was free.  Now its pushed in a different location.  How about making it a level playing field for all who want to come visit or live here.  The Visa, and extension issues have become another cluster.  Why are folks from the Asean countries held to a different standard for obtaining there extensions of stay, why are they given 2 year extensions for a job related visa extension, when we have to jump through the hoops every year.  If you want the economy to stabilize then you have to soften the stance of Good Guys In/ Bad Guys out. Money talks and <deleted> walks. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

They think it's bad now?

Just wait until the effects of the loss of tourism, the nationwide drought and the epidemic of excessive personal debt all combine to bring the economy to its knees.

1997 - part II: the crash returns!

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The coronavirus fatalities are far worse than the Chinese authorities are admitting. Entire supply chains are being shut down as cities in China are in lockdown. It is not good news for anybody, with the possible exception of the medical industry.

Read a email from UKs leading research centre corona virus worse than all the recent epidemics put together no cure no Vaccine and mutates and they were just waiting for a cross over decease from animal to human this ain’t flue  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chinese official figures 2 days ago was 24000 dead, which really means at least double if not triple that

• Confused 1