Bangkok Has 100,000 Empty Apartments. It Could Soon Have More

webfact

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

I reckon it is far, far higher than that. 

We have recently bought a house, but actually inquired about purchasing our rented two - bed condo near Asoke last year. There are two towers there with 917 units in total. Just over 200 of those were still unsold. 

I would guess the total number must be well into the hundreds of thousands with the amount they are building and trying to sell at ludicrous prices. I saw the other day the prices in that new Esse complex near Asoke are around 8M for a 38SQM hotel room ????

1997 is coming again

With a 'black swan' event still unfolding (Covid19), Chinese economy at a standstill ..last but not least ,political drama within the country

Hmmm...so Chinese condo buyers missing—-and USD/Baht has made a modest recovery in the last three weeks....

Could we have a correlation?  Did the flood of payments (perhaps in USD) cause the Baht to rise astronomically for the past three years?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:21 PM, SteveK said:

I would never, ever in a million years buy property in Thailand, even if it was half the price it is now. Not only do you have to worry about extremely shoddy workmanship, but with immigration tightening the thumbscrews ever further, it could potentially give you a massive headache further down the line. If, as posters on here have predicted, a future political event renders farangs persona non-grata in the most extreme sense, then if you are renting all you have to do is grab your belongings and head for the border. The landlord will figure it out and repossess the property, you lose the deposit, peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Start a new life somewhere else.

But if you have a 2-3 million baht condo (or even more) and you are not allowed in one day, get refused your extension of stay because you used the wrong colour ink, or someone with an axe to grind accuses you of a crime and dobs you into the police (thinking jilted ex-lover here report you for assault or something equally bad), then you're in a whole new world of grief. Selling a property in Thailand is a nightmare by any stretch of the imagination at the moment, imagine trying to do it from outside the country. It doesn't bear thinking about to me. You'd either spend a huge amount of time and money trying to deal with it by proxy, and possibly end up being shafted by a dodgy lawyer, or end up having to cut your losses and walk away.

Just remember that we are only ever guests in Thailand - for that very reason I refuse to buy anything that I wouldn't want to walk away from if the sh*t hits the fan one day. It reminds me of that PC game Second Life, where people were spending real world money to buy in-game land and buildings, yet they never know one day if they turn their computer on and the developer has stopped supporting the game and shut down the servers. Money gone.

You never know what is going to happen in Thailand. But one thing is for sure right now, Anutin felt emboldened enough to make his little rant against <deleted> farangs in front of a camera, so that gives us an insight into the kind of language he and his cronies are using behind closed doors in government offices. It certainly does not look good. The country appears to be becoming more and more nationalistic, xenophobic and undemocratic as the days roll by, which shouldn't be a surprise as they would appear to be cosying up to Mr Jinping. And given the extreme contempt with which ex-pats are treated in China, that should be a major concern for us all.

Oh God. ....then when you get to the border the sky could fall in on Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar!! Then your only choice is back to Thailand!! What to do then??

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh God. ....then when you get to the border the sky could fall in on Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar!! Then your only choice is back to Thailand!! What to do then??

Mexico, Portugal, Ecuador.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Mexico, Portugal, Ecuador.  

..and your money always in cash.

How many farangs are stuck here bc their money is tied up in properties etc.

Cash is king..everything else has a theoretical value only

It becomes real when it's liquidated.

...that could take weeks (in a 'hot' market) and years, out in the sticks

I would only invest in properties back home

You can figure out the reasons I suppose.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Rent of course,  if any point of that measured (good) advice you disagree with,  then argue the point(s)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Over-priced concrete boxes in a smog city... good luck trying to sell to the home market.

Chinese had too much money to throw around..

Thais will wait for the realistic prices to come!

And what price is that?

100's of condos in Pattaya also for 1 million b and less.

Sitting and sitting.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Sad 1