Virus dries up Songkran for beach town

snoop1130

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

All we need now is for Pattaya to follow suit, where it isn't one or two days, but about ten.

Narongchai Khunplome is the younger brother of Sonthaya Khunplome, mayor of Pattaya, both sons of the notorious Kamnan Po, godfather of Chonburi.

Expect them to do what the <deleted> they like.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Narongchai Khunplome is the younger brother of Sonthaya Khunplome, mayor of Pattaya, both sons of the notorious Kamnan Po, godfather of Chonburi.

Expect them to do what the <deleted> they like.

both sons of the   late   godfather of Chonburi !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I lived in Bangsean for a couple of years and Songkran is a huge affair but only 2 days, unlike the ridiculous 9-10 day pattaya event.

Pattaya should call it off this year, if only for the fact that the reservoir is almost empty, not to mention the black plague

This will fall on millions of deaf ears but the depleted water reserves and oldies should be respected for a change by reverting to the old rod nam dum hua (only) for just one year. A modest amount of very cold but sterilized water should do the job just fine and without risk. 

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not really true. It used to be 3 days of gentle splashing before "us lot" arrived, not a week of water cannons and iced water

Not in the 25ish  years I have been here.

Edited by metempsychotic

May the water flow and the whole of Thailand enjoy their annual festival without the old codgers from foreign lands moaning and whinging as though they are important enough to have a say in Thai tradition. Now.....where is my water pistol ???? ???? ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

But, but, but - the Tourism Minister said the virus would be wiped out by Songkran because it (the virus) didn't like hot weather !

"Thailand's tourism minister: Everything will be fine after Songkran - the hot weather will blow the virus away!"
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1149863-thailands-tourism-minister-everything-will-be-fine-after-songkran-the-hot-weather-will-blow-the-virus-away/

Of course, this is the same Minister who just yesterday issued an order that arrivals from 11 different countries would be required to "self-quarantine" for 14 days after arriving in Thailand !! (https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronavirus/thai-health-minister-laughs-at-media-when-asked-about-his-travel-restrictions-document)

"Tuesday evening’s post said travellers from affected countries would be subjected to a 14 day quarantine “without exceptions

He quickly deleted the post (after it caused an uproar), then he closed his Facebook account altogether (then announced that he "has many Facebook accounts to communicate with the public").

He also denied knowing about the order, despite it clearly having his signature on it !
"When Thai media reached out for comments from the Minister at Government House, Anutin denied any knowledge about the matter.

“I’m also wondering how the document ended up there, since I haven’t signed it. It’s still in my room. (That’s HIS signature on the bottom of the official letters)." 

(The 11 countries listed include: China, South Korea, Japan, Germany, France, Singapore, Italy, Iran, Taiwan, and the Chinese territories of Hong Kong and Macau. The Public Health Ministry has said the list of countries would be reviewed.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i heard today that at the recent marathon they got everyone to pay their fees first then check their temperature, if too high cannot do the event and no refund. Sly tactics

You almost got it right but the last comment should be "Thai Tactics"......LOL

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I don't see it happening and since the water shortage seems logical to suspending it..

Since when did logic prevail here in LOS

Water shortage, Corvid 19. lets have the biggest hooley of the year continue... bring friends!

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

But, but, but - the Tourism Minister said the virus would be wiped out by Songkran because it (the virus) didn't like hot weather !

"Thailand's tourism minister: Everything will be fine after Songkran - the hot weather will blow the virus away!"
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1149863-thailands-tourism-minister-everything-will-be-fine-after-songkran-the-hot-weather-will-blow-the-virus-away/

Of course, this is the same Minister who just yesterday issued an order that arrivals from 11 different countries would be required to "self-quarantine" for 14 days after arriving in Thailand !! (https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronavirus/thai-health-minister-laughs-at-media-when-asked-about-his-travel-restrictions-document)

"Tuesday evening’s post said travellers from affected countries would be subjected to a 14 day quarantine “without exceptions

He quickly deleted the post (after it caused an uproar), then he closed his Facebook account altogether (then announced that he "has many Facebook accounts to communicate with the public").

He also denied knowing about the order, despite it clearly having his signature on it !
"When Thai media reached out for comments from the Minister at Government House, Anutin denied any knowledge about the matter.

“I’m also wondering how the document ended up there, since I haven’t signed it. It’s still in my room. (That’s HIS signature on the bottom of the official letters)." 

(The 11 countries listed include: China, South Korea, Japan, Germany, France, Singapore, Italy, Iran, Taiwan, and the Chinese territories of Hong Kong and Macau. The Public Health Ministry has said the list of countries would be reviewed.)

open mouth....insert foot

Edited by RhodeIslandRed
  • Like 1

Logic suggests that a pandemic of a deadly virus during the worst drought in forty years will cause cancellation of this fatuous water-wasting event.  BUT TIT where the bottom line is always the mighty baht so hold your breath for ten days of mayhem.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

No,not in the 25ish  years you have been here. I did say before we arrived ie Western tourists. Try the last 50 years.

The "Pattaya water festival" started about 1991/92 it was started as a boost to the economy as it was a lot quieter back then, tourism to Thailand was less than 5 million a year, still remember the posters every where advertising it and thinking that will never catch on! Prior to that Pattaya was the same as the rest of the country, 2 days then back to normal.

• Thanks 1