Thai stock market falling off a cliff

Well, let's see. You've got a pandemic, a trade war, an oil war, a financial world without reserves, consumers in debt and hunkering down, a high-tech industry gladly promoting fear mongering and outright lies, overbought stock markets bought with tax cuts for the rich, and take a look at those we have at the helm in most countries. What could go wrong? Or, will anything ever go right?

• Like 1

Well thats a bummer for me short term, I've got (had) about 6M in the SET. Luckily if I can pick up some stocks on the downturn then I should see a decent return in a couple of years when the upward swing accelerates. A bit similar to the GFC, when I kept buying as the stock prices fell. A good margin a few years later.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, bkk6060 said:

Not even close Scottie an economic historian you are not.

But, this will create one of the great/greatest buying opportunities.  The DOW I bet will be at 40,000 by the end of Trumps second term.

So have that dry powder ready ( that means cash) a tremendous opportunity is about us.

That's four years away, and I don't even buy green bananas.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

It's not all doom and gloom.

Those of us heavily in bonds are doing cartwheels.

Rooster

Why? Last time I looked, bond yields were less than the inflation rate. Or are you turning cartwheels because your bonds have not lost value?

On 3/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, soalbundy said:

No, no, that was only Australia surely. It's all just panic, started with Trumps trade war and will end with the demise of corona. The stock market goes up and down, it's like an in and out shop.

Putiny and Opec trying time shutdown Shale industry in USA 

3 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

No because I'm making loads of money. I like money.

Rooster

Is that because the capital value of the bond has increased?

We all like money, that's a statement of the obvious.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Is that because the capital value of the bond has increased?

We all like money, that's a statement of the obvious.

I don't really understand it. I saw on sky that there was a historic moment in the value of bonds. I thought yikes, they have gone through the floor. Roof more like.

Time for more champers.

Conversely my daughter in Canary Wharf said she has lost 600,000 baht in the last month. That's her money. She is an equities trader and was in La Paz on holiday on Monday trying to ignore the markets.

Rooster

On 3/9/2020 at 8:50 AM, billaaa777 said:

The buy the dip junkies are going to make a ton of money, maybe you ought to learn a little bit about the stock market and start making easy money.

Totally agree.  Best buying opportunity in years - the world will not stop turning, - you think the Buffets of this world are buying are selling? As he says - “We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful”. 

On 3/9/2020 at 3:29 AM, NCC1701A said:

the Chinese will do anything to get rid of President Trump. including killing as many of their own people as possible or collapse their economy. they don't care at all. and with the world wide communist/Marxists controlled fake news media pouring gasoline on the fire they will make it happen. China has be collecting enough raw materials for the last 20 years to ride out this little speed bump.

look for the next mutation to be released from the "fish market" any day now. 

i know what i would do if i was president. now "put your hand on the scanning screen! hallelujah the missiles are flying!"

Somebody needs to go see a therapist. WOW! I have no words to respond.

In other news.... don't look up as the sky is falling!!!!

Edited by HuskerDo

It really depend of the spread in your portfolio, how you are doing during a crisis; exposed a lot in energy and oil is not the best right now, nor is air transport and hotels.

In my major stock portfolie I'm still a bit over 1st January, so I lost almost all of this year's gain, but not the dividend; however the US-stocks are more down than the Danish companies that are my major holdings. My total holdings are around 15 companies only all together.

But my smaller Thai SET portfolio is almost 10 percent below my invested funds, so I lost three year's gain and 10 Percent, but not included paid dividends, so altogether balancing around brake even, or zero including inflation rate.

Markets are in panic, so ups and downs, but more downs. It normally takes more time to recover, than to fall. However, I'm a long term investor, so I'm (still fairly) relaxed and sleep well at night, and I got time to wait...????

On 3/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, Cranky said:

Totally agree.  Best buying opportunity in years - the world will not stop turning, - you think the Buffets of this world are buying are selling? As he says - “We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful”. 

That quote had an if, that is frequently omitted by the estrogen/betas on TV which has ricocheted into the philosophy of those prepared to do poorly in stocks.