Coronavirus: Do face masks actually work?

canopus1969

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nope. It helps those who've got the virus not to spread it. 

These particles when someone sneezes, or coughs are so tiny that they even go through.

And some reports say that the virus even gets through our mucus, the eyes.

Our eyes may play an important role in the spread and prevention of the virus. It is the mucous membranes ( membranes that line various cavities in the body.

it could be minor limiting, but also  now some take no cash anymore ...only card …. but that card also pass your hand ...unless cardless pay (which I opt out as too risky to loose by fraud ..) 

Sooooo many contracting possibility's for catching it...

It becomes  like a lottery to get away from Corona ...

I don't know if face masks work against the virus but they do help with pollution and that's part of the picture:

"The health damage inflicted on people by long-standing air pollution in cities is likely to increase the death rate from coronavirus infections, experts have said.

Dirty air is known to cause lung and heart damage and is responsible for at least 8m early deaths a year. This underlying health damage means respiratory infections, such as coronavirus, may well have a more serious impact on city dwellers and those exposed to toxic fumes, than on others".

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/17/air-pollution-likely-to-increase-coronavirus-death-rate-warn-experts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

There is a report out there that a study was made in the early days of the Chinese outbreak. About 15 people were infected on an airconditioned bus. They tracked all the individuals and where they sat to conclude that in an enclosed environment with circulating air con, the virus could infect up to 4 metres away (from memory). But of importance was the fact that none of the people who wore masks were infected (early days before all Chinese wore masks).

If the above report is true and accurate, it certainly makes sense to wear a mask when in enclosed environments. And maybe when you are in close proximity with anybody?

What kind of masks? 

5 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

none of the people who wore masks were infected

bingo !   and that's why it's crucial to wear a mask ....  being a cheap cloth or an expensive filter type, it doesn't matter but your better protected than not wearing anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In the same vein as the OP, a science based approach:
https://www.sciencealert.com/what-really-works-to-keep-the-coronavirus-away

#3 is interesting seeing as everyone seems to be buying masks, showing that cloth ones are useless.

It's human nature - they feel helpless, they look around for something that might help, they listen to all the bul****t about masks, they go and buy masks

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

It's human nature - they feel helpless, they look around for something that might help, they listen to all the bul****t about masks, they go and buy masks

True, they're all following each other.

A bit like A-nut-in here telling people off for not accepting his free masks that are no use.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nope. It helps those who've got the virus not to spread it. 

These particles when someone sneezes, or coughs are so tiny that they even go through.

And some reports say that the virus even gets through our mucous, of the eyes.

Our eyes may play an important role in the spread and prevention of the virus. It is the mucous membranes ( membranes that line various cavities in the body).

Yes,the virus can even enter eyes through mucous,so the  hospital is very dangerous place.In my country China the doctor and nurse need to wear N95 mask,eye protector and isolation gown to protect themselves as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course they work that is why Dr's and health professionals wear them. They need to be n95 to keep the virus out. The virus works by attacking the lungs.

It is fake news, because they don't have enough masks for everyone especially if you change them every day.

As I am the most knowledgeable person on planet earth on all matters corona virus it's your lucky day, because I just happened to be in the neighborhood answering questions on my favorite corona virus subtopic: masks! No, they don't work. Now please everyone, don't bore me by asking for sources, links, or personal qualifications. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, ylin1 said:

Yes,the virus can even enter eyes through mucous,so the  hospital is very dangerous place.In my country China the doctor and nurse need to wear N95 mask,eye protector and isolation gown to protect themselves as much as possible.

Are you in currently in China, or Thailand? 

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm boycotting anything chinese, I will never spend another satang on anything from China. period.

That will be almost impossible. They make such good copies that many rip offs sell Chinese copies as originals.

I prefer to have the choice of buying something for a fifth of the original price and knowing it's from China.

Even on ebay are sellers from the UK, the US and elsewhere selling fake car and motorcycle parts.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, Orton Rd said:

If you have a mask on it stops you touching your mouth and nose with what might be your infected paws, so better wear one just for that reason, if you can find one. Big C were selling them yesterday but you had to line up at 10-12-2 and 4 o clock and then only the first 35 got them

You are right that people do not touch their faces so often. But the use of a mask would not be very helpful as a precaution.

The virus can get through your eyes, through the mucous. 

Best is to stay away from many people, washing hands with a good soup often and the use of common sense is worth gold.

Edited by Isaanbiker
Batwuhan virus? No thanks!!
  • Like 1

I have been at Makro today. 95% of the people wear a mask. At the market where I have been later 50%. The WHO says it´s useless instead you are sick or work with sick people. 

When so many Thais wear masks, no wonder that there is a shortage in hospitals.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

• Thanks 1