Thailand reports 35 new coronavirus infections for total of 212

webfact

Thailand reports 35 new coronavirus infections for total of 212

2020-03-18T044705Z_1_LYNXMPEG2H0H4_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Tourists wear protective masks at Emerald Buddha temple, which is usually full of tourists, amid fear of coronavirus in Bangkok, Thailand March 16, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 35 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, taking its total infections to 212, a disease control official said.

The southeast Asian nation has recorded one death since the outbreak began, with 42 patients having recovered and gone home, while 169 are still in hospital.

Wednesday's cases fall into two groups, one linked to earlier cases and the other mostly with overseas connections, Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, the director-general of the disease control department, told a news conference.

One group of 29 cases includes four from an entertainment venue and 13 from a crowded boxing match, both in the capital, Bangkok, while 12 came into contact with recorded patients, Suwannachai said.

A second group of six new cases includes one arrival from neighbouring Cambodia, he added.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-18

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

And still only 1 recorded death ??

That must make Thais the most resistant people ever, which is strange as the hospitals are always chock block full of sickies !!!

I don't believe them ????

Deaths could have been recorded as pneumonia, etc. in  cases where they weren't tested because they didn't have any foreign travel risks that have been used here to screen people from even being considered for testing. I hope that has changed by now. I've been saying for a long time -- massive testing and assume community transmission is already well under way. 

• Like 2

Are these only from the circa 400 apparently tested daily only in Bangkok........ what about the rest of the country apart from Bangkok hospitals 25k package nationwide, are their official results for testing in all areas..

What about Phuket? or does Prayut need permission from the real head money man before figures can be disclosed or bars closed or jet ski scam suspended for a couple of weeks.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Deaths could have been recorded as pneumonia, etc.

Exactly, only 1 death recorded as due to Covid-19... Like I said, I don't believe it...

Whether they tested people or not, the fact is there has to be a lot more deaths in the last few weeks directly attributed to Covid-19.

• Thanks 1

Here's an update of the PUI cases awaiting test results data from the MOPH's recent EN public reports:

March 17 -- 2626 patients, up 863 in the past 10 days

March 7 -- 1763 patients*

(*no 3/7 EN report yet, but this is the TH report number using Google Translate.)

March 6 -- 1775 patients, up 119

March 5 -- 1656 patients, up 41

March 4 -- 1615 patients, up 17

March 3 -- 1598 patients, no prior data reported

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

.  I really hope the Thais are not so naive as to believe it.

Sadly I think they are. 

Some big wig in the village has got a fever and started questioning me yesterday whether I was sick and going on about Corona just because I was within 500 m of him a few days ago. He was clearly convinced I had passed on something. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Unfortunately many Thais including my other half believe this nonsense.  She says the Thai ‘government’ would not lie to Thais. No ability to think for themselves or read international news. Just sheep.

There was a large gathering in the village of ladies yesterday at the chiefs house and I wondered what was going on. I asked the in law and she said they were having a mask making lesson. Great when you think that they are getting a feel for how serious this could get, but then heartbreaking when you see what they were making them from. 

Clueless and uneducated and you just hope and pray all the predictions are wrong because it’s going to rip through these Isaan  Village like knife through butter. 

Im trying my hardest to pass on how serious it could get and bought gel etc for my partner and her family but it’s a ball ache getting some of the kids here to wash their hands after a p.iss before diving into the sticky rice, so it’s a thankless task tbh. I’m off in less than a week (all being well) so the rest is up to them. 

You can only try, but they really have no idea. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

They are desperately trying to put forward the ridiculous narrative that they had everything under control, even when Chinese tourists from Wuhan were streaming in, and then things got out of control when foreigners from other countries reintroduced the virus to Thailand.  I really hope the Thais are not so naive as to believe it.

Guys, not too long ago someone posted a graph showing the number of cases in Thailand of what they were calling Viral Pneumonia. Can anyone please help me find it? As usual, using this site's Search function, I can't find what I want. 

The reason I want to see it again is because I want to confirm whether it has any resemblance to this UK graph which I saw this morning, although this one is 6 days old.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

GRAPHIC_RISE_INTOLL01-a1aa.png

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

how the hell are most foreigner related if 4 are from a pub, 13 from a thai boxing match and 12 are community spread

my maths makes that 29 thai and 6 foreigners

but yeah keep pushing the racist anti-foreigner narrative

It is sheer fear driven denial to blame foreigners now.  Any scientist can debunk the uneducated comments being made.  Any layman can work it out too.  The virus is in Thailand.  Put out the spot fires before it becomes an inferno.  Like other countries now, only drastic measures will reduce the infection spike to a bump.  It is at the official's own peril to pretend it's under control.  Once ICU hospital beds are full and saveable people are being triaged as to whether they live or die, you know you are losing the war.  Selfishness to those who dismiss it as not going to kill them.  Think about the elderly and already unwell people   

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Deaths could have been recorded as pneumonia, etc. in  cases where they weren't tested because they didn't have any foreign travel risks that have been used here to screen people from even being considered for testing. I hope that has changed by now. I've been saying for a long time -- massive testing and assume community transmission is already well under way. 

No. it means that they got care immediately with aggressive treatment. Singapore has had more than 200 cases and ZERO deaths 

• Like 2

New cases take Thailand's Covid-19 total above 200 (Updated)

By The Nation

800_9c1e44b680c5eba.jpg?v=1584514465

Thirty-five new cases of novel coronavirus (Covid-19) infections in Thailand -- 29 of them linked to a boxing stadium and entertainment venues -- have taken Thailand's total number of Covid-19 patients to 212. 

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoen, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said on Wednesday (March 18) that this was the highest number of confirmed cases in a 24-hour period.

Of the 35 confirmed cases, 29 patients had links to previous cluster cases:13 people hailing from Bangkok, Khon Kaen Samut Prakan, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Kalasin, and Roi Et provinces got infected from Lumpinee Boxing Stadium.

Four got infected from entertainment venues in the Thong Lor district of northern Bangkok

Twelve patients had close contacts with previously confirmed cases -- most of them co-workers.

Another group consisted of six cases: one had returned from Cambodia, four were working closely with foreigners as a receptionist, waiters, and a residential juristic person. In one case, the source of infection is still being investigation.

Two new patients are in a critical condition, bringing the number of critical cases to three. A 49-year-old Thai man in Surat Thani province developed high fever and flu-like symptoms on March 8. He was later diagnosed with pneumonia and kidney dysfunction. A 67- year-old Belgian man in Phetchaburi was diagnosed with pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome. He is on a ventilator.

One patient has recovered and been discharged.

As of March 18, the total number of confirmed cases is 212; 169 are under medical care, 42 have recovered and been discharged, and there has been one death. 

Of the 83 people who have returned from Italy, 77 at Sattahip Navy base and six in hospital have tested negative but still need to quarantine up to 14 days since arriving.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384313

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-18
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BRUFC said:

Guys, not too long ago someone posted a graph showing the number of cases in Thailand of what they were calling Viral Pneumonia. Can anyone please help me find it? As usual, using this site's Search function, I can't find what I want. 

The reason I want to see it again is because I want to confirm whether it has any resemblance to this UK graph which I saw this morning, although this one is 6 days old.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

GRAPHIC_RISE_INTOLL01-a1aa.png

Sure you didn't get that from Michael Mann?

They don't seem to want to give out the particular location on these. They say the boxing place but where did the people go from there. It would be nice if there were a map by district or province for Thailand. Some nations seem to do that. Maybe there is but I haven't seen it. Just seems they aren't providing very good info.

7 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

They don't seem to want to give out the particular location on these. They say the boxing place but where did the people go from there. It would be nice if there were a map by district or province for Thailand. Some nations seem to do that. Maybe there is but I haven't seen it. Just seems they aren't providing very good info.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/?standalone=true

• Like 1