60 new COVID-19 cases in Thailand, total cases now at 272

Jonathan Fairfield

Ok lets be postive The virus is here. But it is not a death sentence is it? As for panic buying the Thais are doing well in that department. I go to Mackro.  I dont see Thais emptying the shelves. Look at australia they went crazy and emptied the shelves. I am sure if everyone just takes stock relax carry on as normal and this will pass by. I am full of confidence and so should everybody else be. Dont not forget Thailands road death is about 60 per day and they do nothing. Here they get 60 new cases virus and they scream blue murder. Out of that 60 how many will recover? A lot will ok. How many recover fron car smashes every day? Like i said 60 die every day

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

Ok lets be postive The virus is here. But it is not a death sentence is it? As for panic buying the Thais are doing well in that department. I go to Mackro.  I dont see Thais emptying the shelves. Look at australia they went crazy and emptied the shelves. I am sure if everyone just takes stock relax carry on as normal and this will pass by. I am full of confidence and so should everybody else be. Dont not forget Thailands road death is about 60 per day and they do nothing. Here they get 60 new cases virus and they scream blue murder. Out of that 60 how many will recover? A lot will ok. How many recover fron car smashes every day? Like i said 60 die every day

It's good to try and be positive but i think Thais aren't getting the magnitude of this yet otherwise they would be panic buying. I'll post this again so people take it seriously. Death rate in Italy now 43%, France and Germany slightly less.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screenshot_20200320-040520.png

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's good to try and be positive but i think Thais aren't getting the magnitude of this yet otherwise they would be panic buying. I'll post this again so people take it seriously. Death rate in Italy now 43%, France and Germany slightly less.

They won’t get the magnitude because no matter how many charts and facts re Europe are posted most will never get to see or hear about them. They are mainly in  their own bubble and told it’s the dirty ferang who caused this, so even if they see the data they will attribute it to that. 

Rightly or wrongly their life is pretty simple and they won’t believe it will happen til it’s too late and/or they get sick. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Xbeemer said:

Add another 4 from my wife's district in Sisaket. Spectators at a cock fight, so probably a bunch more coming positive soon. Clearly many are not taking precautions.  I observed people still dipping their spoons in each other's soup bowl last night and came across 6 young women on Hua Hin beach today sitting in a tight circle with food on a blanket in the centre,  again all eating directly from the same dish. Big <deleted> storm coming. 

I just checked the Gov app - https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en - detailing where the infected cases are and nothing for Si Saket yet.  I'm not saying what you say is false, just pointing out the fact the Thai Gov's app is useless.
Up north, CM / CR show 0 positive cases as well, but word on the street is quite different.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So the 43% does not look like it is including the 30692 mild cases that most likely just fade away, ie. not considered a closed case. That's quite an omission since when they are included the rate is only 8%

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

“Word on the street.....” struth. 

About as reliable as what the Thai Gov is posting ... unless you believe this Gov.
Since testing is not wide spread in Thailand, then there are most likely a lot of people with "mild" cases of the virus walking around in all provinces.  Then add in the fact that testing is still not free for Thai's so a lot of Thai's can not afford to be tested even if they have the symptoms.  Then look at some European countries that effectively stopped testing except for very serious cases.  This most likely means the Gov numbers are very very low for Thailand thus their map is fairly useless.

1 minute ago, HaoleBoy said:

About as reliable as what the Thai Gov is posting ... unless you believe this Gov.
Since testing is not wide spread in Thailand, then there are most likely a lot of people with "mild" cases of the virus walking around in all provinces.  Then add in the fact that testing is still not free for Thai's so a lot of Thai's can not afford to be tested even if they have the symptoms.  Then look at some European countries that effectively stopped testing except for very serious cases.  This most likely means the Gov numbers are very very low for Thailand thus their map is fairly useless.

We know all that. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

“Word on the street.....” struth. 

Well i have heard no "word on the street" of cases here in Pattaya ,except a week ago a monk told my wife there was a case of it in Banglamung hospital ,apart from that i have not heard of anyone who has it ,anyone who knows anyone or anyone who has heard that someone knows someone who has it ,so not much word on the street here.

7 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Well i have heard no "word on the street" of cases here in Pattaya ,except a week ago a monk told my wife there was a case of it in Banglamung hospital ,apart from that i have not heard of anyone who has it ,anyone who knows anyone or anyone who has heard that someone knows someone who has it ,so not much word on the street here.

"Thai government officials are also reminding Thai citizens and foreigners that spreading fake news online, or reposting false stories about the virus, is considered a significant offense and violating this can result in arrests, fines and prison time."

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/pattaya-city-officials-confirm-rumours-of-covid-19-in-soi-6-bar-staff-were-fake-news

13 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Pretty much the same up here in jungle land. 

Thats not to say there aren’t any. At 5000 baht a test in somebody places (some more, some less) they are not going to be queuing to see if they have it or not so chances are there are many carriers or just bed ridden. 

As I said before up here they just bury their heads and carry on as usual until it’s gets to the point where they can’t. 

You are not going to educate and scare a nation into doing what we want them to do, especially when their own health minister says it’s us that’s caused it  

Edited by Kadilo

The fearless leader of the USA was told about chloroquine...a malaria drug the WHO stated back on March 7 may be helpful in fighting Covid19.  On BBC news last night POTUS almost claimed he discovered it, but then just expounded on the promise of the "approved" drug being a cure. 

Strange how they preach social distancing, then during the news conference you see POTUS, the VP, and a few others right there together and passing the podium to each other within inches.  Got to get them close together for Television viewers.

Peace 

56 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

And not much of this chump change virus in Pattaya for that matter. The contagion in Bangkok was very targeted among a cluster of people. 80% of infections are mild or nada. And the other 20% are most likely on borrowed time anyway for a number of reasons.

We know that the virus is widespread. Already.

Because :

-Iconic cases (cruise ship in Japan, and Veneto, the small town in Italy, and of course South Korea)

AKA : the more you test... the more you find.

-several studies and official reports (the last one from Governor of California : "We project that roughly 56 percent of our population -- 25.5 million people -- will be infected with the virus over an eight week period")

[source]

https://www.foxla.com/news/newsom-requests-trump-deploy-usns-mercy-hospital-ship-to-los-angeles

-basic common sense : many ministers, MP, officials and... movie/TV stars are infected. The only way, from a statistical point of view, to explain this... is that the virus is widespread among the population. All the population.

Do we agree on this fact ?

OK.

So if we agree that virtually everybody on earth will be infected at one point or another... then the "CFR" (case fatality ratio) of this terrible virus... will be very, very low... unlike the crazy calculations people make for Italy, Iran etc.

Here you are.

We've just demonstrated that this virus is bad, annoying, and will probably kill a few dozen thousands people on the planet (on a population of 8 billions), but is not apocalyptic.

To shut down the world for this... is pure insanity.

(and please do not tell me about individual tragedies... that's not the point here).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

We know that the virus is widespread. Already.

Because :

-Iconic cases (cruise ship in Japan, and Veneto, the small town in Italy, and of course South Korea)

AKA : the more you test... the more you find.

-several studies and official reports (the last one from Governor of California : "We project that roughly 56 percent of our population -- 25.5 million people -- will be infected with the virus over an eight week period")

[source]

https://www.foxla.com/news/newsom-requests-trump-deploy-usns-mercy-hospital-ship-to-los-angeles

-basic common sense : many ministers, MP, officials and... movie/TV stars are infected. The only way, from a statistical point of view, to explain this... is that the virus is widespread among the population. All the population.

OK.

So if we agree that virtually everybody on earth will be infected at one point or another... then the "CFR" (case fatality ratio) of this terrible virus... will be very, very low... unlike the crazy calculations people make for Italy, Iran etc.

Here you are.

We've just demonstrated that this virus is bad, annoying, and will probably kill a few dozen thousands people on the planet (on a population of 8 billions), but is not apocalyptic.

To shut down the world for this... is pure insanity.

(and please do not tell me about individual tragedies... that's not the point here).

Time to crawl back into your hole and continue to believe what you want, maybe you can find the white rabbit, and he will tell you more about how things really are or maybe the Caterpillar can ........It is being done not for conspiracy reasons as you believe but to try and confine the spread..... 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

So the 43% does not look like it is including the 30692 mild cases that most likely just fade away, ie. not considered a closed case. That's quite an omission since when they are included the rate is only 8%

Is that what you want? See Thais go crazy in the supermarkets I think positive ok Geez man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

What fact? The current global closed case (correct calculation) fatality rate this morning is above 10% and rising.

image.png.54ab5cc0ac3f21d95444955b7dd6eebf.png

4 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Very public-spirited of you to post big scary numbers from other places to warn Thais about their situation and advocate panic-buying ... only you know your motivation for that post but fortunately (i guess) not many Thai people who read your post will follow your advice

As an aside, i found this NYT global view interesting ...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/19/world/coronavirus-flatten-the-curve-countries.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=903832962&imp_id=935517109

i won't bother dropping any troll-magnet opinions except to say ...

(1) based on the graphics shown in the article, Thailand is in a pretty average position and

(2) we all need to look to SK as an example (PRC picture is imo dubious due to opaque reporting/social control)

Looks like we are about to rock and roll.

Screenshot_20200320-132153_NYTimes.jpg