Thailand to tighten entry rules for all nationalities in virus fight

snoop1130

Travellers to Thailand have to now show authorities a health certificate, issued no more than 72 hours before travelling, confirming that they have been tested and are free from the virus. They must also present an insurance policy showing minimum coverage for coronavirus of not less than $100,000.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailand-to-tighten-entry-rules-for-all-nationalities-in-virus-fight-idUSKBN21613O

So if I'm travelling to Laos for a visa from Thailand, I should then get tested in Laos for COV-19 and then head back into Thailand with the results which could take 2 days to get. Before I leave Thailand sort out some insurance of $100,000 coverage for health insurance. Is that what this means?

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Having a passport of these countries or flying in /having visited these countries ? So an Indian flying in from Italy would not be subject to the requirement ? There is something seriously wrong here. I would buy it if it reads "flying in from / visited "Britain, Denmak, France etc....")

There are conflicting articles in Bangkok Post. One article said xx countries and another said all countries . Both of them have updated date and time which is today.

If it is all countries, nationalities or visited debate point is moot.

I think this confusion will be addressed in a few days time.

Edited by EricTh

5 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailand-to-tighten-entry-rules-for-all-nationalities-in-virus-fight-idUSKBN21613O

So if I'm travelling to Laos for a visa from Thailand, I should then get tested in Laos for COV-19 and then head back into Thailand with the results which could take 2 days to get. Before I leave Thailand sort out some insurance of $100,000 coverage for health insurance. Is that what this means?

Yes, seems like it if it is all countries visited rather than xx countries.

The other thing you might consider is that the situation in Laos might change, it might close all borders just like the sudden announcement in Malaysia.

You might also have to go to a capital to get yourself tested because not all cities have that facility.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Travellers to Thailand have to now show authorities a health certificate, issued no more than 72 hours before travelling, confirming that they have been tested and are free from the virus

So why did they make those Italian guys that tested negative still go into 14 day quarantine?  A health certificate 3 days old does not prove much.  One could have gotten exposed after testing and before traveling. 

12 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I'd just like to add that what if the place where you are travelling for instance Laos, Savannakhet doesn't do Covid-19 tests for foreigners? So is it just like some have mentioned a travel ban after all? There's no way of getting the required documents to get back into Thailand.

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

The Thai embassy won't even give you a visa right now without showing the insurance coverage and health certificate to prove you can legally travel there. So yes. That is what it means. You should get tested in Thailand before you go and complete your stay in Laos within 72 hours.

Edited by Monomial

7 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I'd just like to add that what if the place where you are travelling for instance Laos, Savannakhet doesn't do Covid-19 tests for foreigners? So is it just like some have mentioned a travel ban after all? There's no way of getting the required documents to get back into Thailand.

Answering myself I found out some information posted in 

https://laotiantimes.com/2020/03/17/testing-for-covid-19-in-laos/

Where can I be tested for COVID-19 in Laos?
Mahosot Hospital, 103 Hospital, and Mittaphab (150 Bed) Hospital, and Setthathirath Hospital. Both are in Vientiane City.

How long does the test take?
After taking a blood sample, nasal swab, and throat swab, the results will be ready within 24 hours.

Is the test free?
The test is free for those who meet the testing criteria.

Read the news article for more info. It's a way of meeting the new Thai regulations but you will need to travel around a bit if u go into Laos through another border check point not Vientianne/Nong Khai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i just got (3 days ago) 3M baht coverage Pacific Cross with 40K deductible for 28K

covid19 is not excluded

Yep.... Except, the poster who I was posing the question to had talked about buying some policy from a Thai bank for 850 baht. And I'm pretty certain, that policy is NOT going to meet the $100K USD insurance requirement that's now in place for future foreign entries.  100,000 baht perhaps. But pretty unlikely $100K USD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Indeed, the charming health minister mentioned in the CNA interview last night that Thailand was reluctant to receive foreign visitors right now. By requiring a form that is impossible for people to obtain they've effectively closed the door. 

I was stopped in Hong Kong on my way back to Thailand on the 18th.I went online to AIG Insurance using a credit card had coverage in 5 min. Then a 45 min taxi to Quality HealthCare Medical Centre had the required covid-19 test. It took less than an hour. The airline rebooked me,I was on the next flight. The cost including taxi both ways for all requirements was just under 2000 HKD.

• Like 2

I wish those of you that have managed to get insurance that covers the virus, the very best of luck if you need to claim.  I'd be looking at the small print very closely - especially the exculsions and excess sections.  I am not doubting that such insurance has been purchased but it seems crazy that any company will provide it right now.  Medical professionals the world over seem to accept that unless a vaccine is found very quickly, most of us will get the illness at some point.  A vaccine doesn't appear close so these insurers seem to be taking a hell of a risk - or are they? The clue could be in the detail. Is the detail only in Thai?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I wish those of you that have managed to get insurance that covers the virus, the very best of luck if you need to claim.  I'd be looking at the small print very closely - especially the exculsions and excess sections.  I am not doubting that such insurance has been purchased but it seems crazy that any company will provide it right now.  Medical professionals the world over seem to accept that unless a vaccine is found very quickly, most of us will get the illness at some point.  A vaccine doesn't appear close so these insurers seem to be taking a hell of a risk - or are they? The clue could be in the detail. Is the detail only in Thai?

Probably well calculated as usual, only issued for low risk persons, like those below a certain age with no chronic health issues. 

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Thailand surrendered to the  infection  some time ago.  Someone put  tourism income ahead of national safety. Quite a contrast to the measures Vietnam has taken  vs. Thailand.  We will see how it pays off in  12-18 months.

Vietnam may become the preferred destination for  western tourists who wish to avoid  infection.  If Thailand  gets through the first wave, it will have the 2nd and 3rd waves over the next year to worry about and they will come during  peak tourism  time. Folks, this isn't going away, but is here to stay for a year, biggly.

Assuming they close the borders in the next few weeks, when will they reopen them?

The initial wave is supposed to run through August, is September too optimistic? 

I think countries reliant on tourism will be more aggressive in reopening but if the healthcare system get clobbered by this wave maybe all bets are off.

Edited by unsubscribe

6 hours ago, monkfish said:

Where to get these medical certificates I've seen they are issuing them in Thailand after a negative test but are other countries also issuing them?
According to this source the requirement is also for Thai.
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/19/prayut-orders-all-travelers-to-present-virus-certificate/

This seems like a block on travellers without directly blocking them I wonder why.

Didn't the health minister tweet last week, that this virus was the fault of foreigners bringing it to Thailand, this is politely saying we don't want foreigners in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Not to mention Thailand is heavily exports dependent and logistics, especially air, are taking severe hits, collateral damage. Going to be an epic recession. Maybe that finally gets the mobs with pitchforks out and purges the old elites out.

Exports are probably soaring at the moment, I am pulling forward containers of shrimp and chicken due to panic-buying in the UK.

Health certificate, insurance required from passengers bound for Thailand

By THE NATION

800_ab002d77dd0ee80.jpg?v=1584626098

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) will require all airlines with flights bound for Thailand to ask their passengers, regardless of their nationalities, for medical certificates, said Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob today (March 19), adding that airlines' staffs should decline to issue tickets and boarding passes to those who fail to do so.

Proof of insurance policies that also covers Covid-19 infection in Thailand are also required from non-Thai passengers.

The requirements are additional measures to those already announced by the CAAT as part of Thailand's effort to contain the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

CAAT has finished drafting the new measures, which are expected to be announced March 20 or March 23, pending announcement of the Public Health Ministry's update on high-risk countries and territories, he added.

On March 8, the CAAT announced that it was mandatory for operators of passenger jets bound for Thailand, from four countries and territories in the Public Health Ministry's high-risk list, to take strict measures to prevent spread of the virus in the country.

One of the requirements stated that in the event of a passenger, departing from any of the four countries, fails to provide a valid health certificate, he/she must not be issued a boarding pass.

Saksayam said that he had also consulted with related state agencies to make it compulsory for commuters of trains and electric trains to wear masks. The rules will also be applied to passengers on public buses.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384443

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-20

7 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Non essential travel by air is not the smartest thing to do during a pandemic anyway.  I think we are heading to a commercial regularly schedule route shutdown soon. 

It was mentioned in the press a week or two ago that it's possible that London airports could be shut down totally in a week or two. As someone else said, new things are happening every day.

Yesterday I changed my return flight to London from April 7th to March 27th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Ba, Thailand would be no fun now because you would have to avoid markets, bars, entertainment, any food sold out in the open, etc.

It should all be over by June anyways.

That's exactly why I'm cutting my visit short by 10 days. It cost me 4,900 Baht to change my ticket, but I'll save 13,000 Baht on a hotel room.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aachen said:

At your local pharmacy. (A friend just got 50! without asking for it from his helpful pharmacist. He got the better ones.)

None in BKK! At least not round here (Ramintra)