Sixteen-day ban on tourists proposed

webfact

37 minutes ago, burgdawg said:

....spot on Nervona. There is a huge operation going down, cloaked by this corona stuff. Who in Phuket area remembers US Marshalls, Embassy, IRS, ATF all arriving at Butt-Buddies Obama's house in Phuket, retrieving all the stolen GOLD that bahthaus Barry has sequestered there? The gold really Obama's stolen Solyndra funds. This was November-December 2018.

Mass round up of many International Criminal Gangs, made easier by all of Pattaya Bars being shuttered.

So the virus affects the brain as well.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They’re not draconian, they’re common sense measures, intelligent measures. 

Why allow any foreigner into your country if they can’t prove they are ‘virus free’ and have sufficient insurance so they don’t drain the resources of the the host nation?

I can see this continuing on after the Covid-19 crisis, whereby Airlines are made accountable not only for checking the Visa Status of foreigners flying to Thailand but also the status of medical insurance. This could be the solution to the long going debate regarding insurance cover for those visiting Thailand. 

Of course, some won’t like this because insurance is expensive or they want to self insure (which is usually an excuse for thinking ’nothing will happen to me so I don’t want to pay’). 

At this time ‘Tourists’ should not be travelling anywhere anyway, regardless of any measures implemented by Thailand.

Those 'foreigners returning home’ to the families etc can do so freely, albeit with assurance of insurance and a medical certificate. In the face of a global pandemic this are extremely favourable conditions for anyone wishes to return and cares for their community. Many other nations have simply closed off their borders to anyone or implemented a quarantine at a ‘government facility’ which is not something I imagine anyone wants. 

Yawn.....

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where is the Curfew on Tourists ?????...   is there even a Curfew in Thailand at all at the moment. 

There was a proposal of a ‘general curfew’ on all - extreme but perhaps necessary. 

At the moment there is a closure on bars, sports and gym facilties and public areas where people congregate. I’ve not heard of this Curfew on Tourists.

Again, measures to close public areas for the time being are 'common sense'.

Are you applying 'common sense' when exaggerating, sensationalising and spreadingthe information there is a ‘Curfew on Tourists’  ??

Sorry Richard, I read the bold headline first.

6 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

IWondering how many Chinese have the virus that are in Thailand and how many thais have the virus that are in Thailand and how many foreigners in Thailand have the virus TIT

89 of these people were found yesterday. Yeehaw! (will find out more in the days, weeks and months ahead - stay tuned.)

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It won't recover either if the  infection becomes cyclical. There is no demonstrable long term immunity following infection. One country which has contained the infections and  carefully managed its response is Vietnam. Prudent tourists will go there instead.

Vietnam has closed its doors to all tourists. Even Vietnamese citizens returning from overseas will be quarantined for 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have a feeling tourism in Thailand is about to end dramatically. There is absolutely no chance that any insurance company around the world is going to issue a $100,000 insurance policy that specifically covers the Corona virus and this is what the Thai government is demanding for every tourist entering g the Country on top of this everyone including Thais need a medical letter issued no longer than 72 hours prior to flying stating you are free of the virus I don’t know of any other country in the world that is demanding these draconian measures even those who have to do border runs won’t be able to re enter Thailand due to these demands. 

Your right just had email from my insurers that any travel booked on or after 18 March will not cover Coronavirus

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF there is no natural immunity (as there is with colds, influenza etc) then this becomes a major issue until vaccines are created.

If there is no natural immunity acquired from having the actual virus, it is very unlikely you can create a vaccine that will work any better. There will definitely be some immunity acquired from getting the virus, but there is the question of how strong that immunity is (the problem with the common cold), and how long it lasts (again, an issue with the common cold). Then there is the question of the virus mutating (the problem with influenza). Still a lot to learn moving forward with this thing.

I do not believe some of the number of cases reported coming in from some countries, especially Thailand.  The virus certainly got there awhile back.  I see now that the State of New York in the U.S. has over 10,000 cases and there are over 22,000 cases nationwide.  

Are Thais more immune?  Is it the diet?  Or maybe a lot of those infected die from road accidents? 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, YetAnother said:

why ? why not let them in, immobilize them , take their monies and involuntarily dispose of them ?

So biz as usual he

immobilize: them Nana Buckets, ladies dwink hansum maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

take their monies: Ladies of Soi Cowgal

dispose of them: Immi n the wedding parlours

45 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I do not believe some of the number of cases reported coming in from some countries, especially Thailand.  The virus certainly got there awhile back.  I see now that the State of New York in the U.S. has over 10,000 cases and there are over 22,000 cases nationwide.  

Are Thais more immune?  Is it the diet?  Or maybe a lot of those infected die from road accidents? 

Nope. Under-tested and under-reported, with deaths likely put down to pneumonia etc. I wouldn't believe any figure that so called government touted. There will be thousands upon thousands there, given the unfettered access the Chinese had of late. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Nope. Under-tested and under-reported, with deaths likely put down to pneumonia etc. I wouldn't believe any figure that so called government touted. There will be thousands upon thousands there, given the unfettered access the Chinese had of late. 

Ah, yes.  I see. 

image.png.f24a655e1b57ecdc13453a55cab8c557.png  image.png.78806de823ac11db57e378dcdb464f8a.pngimage.png.df318789f4490a8e915927186b5ccad1.png

8 hours ago, Letseng said:

Just stick every arrival into quarantine. Make them pay upfront. This would solve the problem with medical certificates. Who would want a holiday in quarantine in an army barrack somewhere?

Hey, come on.  There's bound to be an illegal all-night card game or a drinking contest going on.  I rubbed elbows with a few low-level Thai soldiers and some police some 40+ years ago when I worked in the refugee program.  Loads of fun ... NOT. And that was back when farangs were a novelty and rather liked. 

19 hours ago, Vigilante said:

People who leave the relative safety of home to come to a distant country that has no feelings/ties for them and in the middle of a pandemic ,need to see a shrink

Yes, speaking of going to "a distant country" is one thing.

But those who have been scrambling to get back into Thailand in the last few weeks (for no good reason)

need to be in a mental asylum.

Ive even read on here, Australian people saying they are glad they just got back to   Thailand "to wait it out".

What can you do but shake your head.

Anyone who knows Thailand and its current government knew they were gonna start pulling out this idiotic knee jerk stuff.

I would not be suprised at all if this ends up with the so-called Immigration smart cars patrolling the sois and picking up ALL farangs who are getting around in public and dragging them away for testing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have a feeling tourism in Thailand is about to end dramatically. There is absolutely no chance that any insurance company around the world is going to issue a $100,000 insurance policy that specifically covers the Corona virus and this is what the Thai government is demanding for every tourist entering g the Country on top of this everyone including Thais need a medical letter issued no longer than 72 hours prior to flying stating you are free of the virus I don’t know of any other country in the world that is demanding these draconian measures even those who have to do border runs won’t be able to re enter Thailand due to these demands. 

Yesterday a new announcement, the medical letter from a doctor 'no evidence of symptoms....' is no longer enough. Now need a negative Covid 19 test report.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:57 AM, Jingthing said:

Colombia just started a similar 30 day ban but shockingly banned their citizens as well. 

It's not a bad idea as long as coupled with other measures. 

Of course foreigners already here will need to gear up for a spike in irrational xenophobia. 

I recommended a good dose of hysterical paranoia as the perfect foil for perceived irrational

xenophobia.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

There is no demonstrable long term immunity following infection.

Not true. After the virus is contracted one gains immunity. Studies thus far have not conclusively proven this with covid19 but all reinfection has thought to be attributable to other issues.

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

Yes, speaking of going to "a distant country" is one thing.

But those who have been scrambling to get back into Thailand in the last few weeks (for no good reason)

need to be in a mental asylum.

Ive even read on here, Australian people saying they are glad they just got back to   Thailand "to wait it out".

What can you do but shake your head.

Anyone who knows Thailand and its current government knew they were gonna start pulling out this idiotic knee jerk stuff.

I would not be suprised at all if this ends up with the so-called Immigration smart cars patrolling the sois and picking up ALL farangs who are getting around in public and dragging them away for testing.

I just got a call about my Thai brother-in-law who is trying to fly back on Korean Airlines to the USA after a two-week visit.  <deleted> did he go there with all this <deleted>?  Flight changed/canceled, whatever. Me being the "white man" has to call the airline and figure what's up. I guess I understand Korean accented English better than a Thai. 

Are the criminal penalties for maiming a relative less than for a stranger?  If so, I'm going for it.

• Haha 2

287 deaths in the USA attributed to the COVID19 virus as of this afternoon.  Many more than that have died from the other Flu strains.  Crazy over reaction and incomplete fact reporting by officials.  So like in many things, in order to understand .  Follow the money.  Who or what will benefit from such a massive economic turmoil?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

287 deaths in the USA attributed to the COVID19 virus as of this afternoon.  Many more than that have died from the other Flu strains.  Crazy over reaction and incomplete fact reporting by officials.  So like in many things, in order to understand .  Follow the money.  Who or what will benefit from such a massive economic turmoil?

Warren Buffet has $400 billion in cash. 

He knew the Depression was coming. 

Globalist families like the Rothschilds are bailing out central banks (that they own) through the IMF. The US$ will be replaced by digital currencies etc. Brad Garlinghouse will become the world's first Trillionaire. 

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You don't seem to understand exponential growth. Check those same numbers in a month. You could also say there's only been 13k deaths worldwide in 2 months, that's only 6500 a month. But that would fail to recognize that 1700 of those were just yesterday. That after 1300 the day before, and 1000 the day before that. There will be over 2000 today. One month ago that number was 2300 deaths. If left unchecked you can expect 40+ million dead.

• Sad 1

There may be a few tourists still wanting to travel, but they'd be few and far between as many countries have locked borders. Thailand's window to do anything meaningful on borders passed long ago.

The tourism industries are dead and buried in most countries, and will be years till they can rebuild. And depending how long this lasts many economies are toast as well with a similar long term rebuild. The world has changed but seems there a still a few that didn't read the memo.

6 minutes ago, Rancid said:

There may be a few tourists still wanting to travel, but they'd be few and far between as many countries have locked borders. Thailand's window to do anything meaningful on borders passed long ago.

The tourism industries are dead and buried in most countries, and will be years till they can rebuild. And depending how long this lasts many economies are toast as well with a similar long term rebuild. The world has changed but seems there a still a few that didn't read the memo.

Thailand and other SEA countries just couldn't pass up on that sweet Chine$$$e tourist money until it was too late

26 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Thailand and other SEA countries just couldn't pass up on that sweet Chine$$$e tourist money until it was too late

Its simpler than that if they was transparent about the real percentage of the working population which directly and/or indirectly

depends on tourism business and anything connected. That number are now as high as agriculture was some 20 + years ago so ban on tourism or not in the end result will be.....full stop.