Thailand reports 122 new coronavirus cases, raising total to 721

webfact

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Can / should we believe those numbers?

Also the number of pending results / laboratory backlogs haven't been published since a few days? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to give you an idea of what's probably real numbers:

Thailand 
122 new cases
Population 69 million

My home province in Germany
133 new cases
Population less than 1 million

Honestly I would like to know, how does Germany have almost 25,000 cases and only 94 deaths?

I'm wondering if the Germans are just doing a much better job than everyone else in aggressively testing asymptomatic people. 

Maybe the .3% fatality rate is the most accurate assessment we have of the actual death rate of covid-19 if we test everyone and have hospital beds available for those that need them. I recall a paper published by Science that analyzed the Chinese data before their lockdown and estimated that 70% of infections were never detected because they were asymptomatic.

If so that would be great news.

While it's interesting to compare statistics, I agree with the other posters who have pointed out that the methods may differ significantly between countries. The procedures for testing and access to testing equipment vary, and some countries, such as Thailand, have significant regional differences in terms of services. The quality of documentation may vary as well. For example in Norway, we don't register or publish recovered or so-called cleared cases, at least as far as I know. However, the number of tested and infected people is registered, as well as the number of hospital admissions linked to Covid-19, type of treatment required and deaths.

The Norwegian Directorate of Health publishes updated statistics every day and here are some figures from Norway for those who might be interested. As of March 22, 54393 people in Norway have been tested for Covid-19 and 2132 have tested positive. The average age of the infected people is 47 years, 54.7% are men and 45.3% are women. Of those infected, 169 are admitted to hospital for observation or treatment, and 32 of them have received intensive care. A total of 7 people have died due to Covid-19 and the average age of those who died is 89 years. The mortality rate of Covid-19 in Norway is currently at 0.33%.

Edit: Source https://www.helsedirektoratet.no/english

Edited by NordicDemon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Can / should we believe those numbers?

Also the number of pending results / laboratory backlogs haven't been published since a few days? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to give you an idea of what's probably real numbers:

Thailand 
122 new cases
Population 69 million

My home province in Germany
133 new cases
Population less than 1 million

Here's another example of real numbers as of March 22

Canada population 37.5 million spread out geographically 19 times larger than Thailand.

# of Cases to Dates 1430 in the last month

# of Deaths 20

# recovered 18

British Columbia has over 600 cases, around 10 deaths, mainly in senior citizen residences.

So it's hard to believe that these numbers in Thailand are accurate

• Like 1

The above picture is nothing compared to a picture posted elsewhere on this TV news today.

Hundreds, if not thousands of Thais are swarming out of Bangkok to go home, wherever that might be.

This exodus, happening right now at Mo-chit and other outlets from the city is akin to multiple, unprotected sneezes designed to infect others that I can ever imagine! 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"92 cases that tested positive and are awaiting investigation into how they contracted the disease" - the highest proportion yet though the number in that category has been growing

Clearly it is Phase 3

This was inevitable ever since the boxing matches attedned by thousands of people proved to have been transmission focal points.

92 today, 108 yesterday. I’d say the virus is on the loose indiscriminately. 

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

how long have they been or will they be in the hospital. I ask because the number of recovered ones is very low and hasn't change for quite some time....

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-coronavirus-update-crisis-proving-that-thailand-not-a-medical-hub-after-all!-private-hospitals-scamming-patients-especially-foreigners-while-

If we do not have that many Covid-19 cases why are all public hospitals already over crammed and people with symptoms being asked to come back later (we have evidence on this on video and witnesses so do not dare to accuse us of disseminating fake news or will sue legally!) Why are there so many PUIs (patient under investigation) being hospitalized for a long time when a test needs 20 to 25 minutes to confirm the results and another 24 hours to confirm it.

And from that article ...

Though as a Thai I am ashamed to see all such double standards, I have to say that the ‘farang’ community also deserve it for being so silent and not reacting harshly enough to such public discriminatory practices against them. They can even start an online petition etc and ask their governments for total trade, travel and support boycotts. Also post online in their home countries about the names of these private hospitals and their practices.

Whose going to listen to a dirty farang???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhonKaenAde said:

Hype or reality, too little too late, what happened to a ban on travel, where are the thousands from the BKK mass exodus over the last couple of days, I wonder how many of them may be infected. An interesting piece of reading  for all you conspiracy theorists :- https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-coronavirus-update-crisis-proving-that-thailand-not-a-medical-hub-after-all!-private-hospitals-scamming-patients-especially-foreigners-while-

A link to an utterly absurd rant from a first-class moron.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Great article. 

"Though as a Thai I am ashamed to see all such double standards, I have to say that the ‘farang’ community also deserve it for being so silent and not reacting harshly enough to such public discriminatory practices against them. They can even start an online petition etc and ask their governments for total trade, travel and support boycotts. Also post online in their home countries about the names of these private hospitals and their practices."

Yes, and later on he goes on about how it would be good for a certain % of the population to die...

Very "great"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Yes, and later on he goes on about how it would be good for a certain % of the population to die...

Very "great"

He is talking about the worst part of the population.

"Perhaps the coronavirus might be a blessing after all, if it is as bad as the 1918 flu pandemic, and if at least 20 percent of the world populations is wiped out, lets pray that it includes politicians, the uniformed personnel, the corrupted, the rich, the bad, private hospital owners and administrators and greedy doctors, PR and marketing staff from pharmaceutical and medical device companies and also hospitals, the startup agencies and their staff, banks and their staff,finance companies , owners and staff of social media platforms etc. (lol..just kidding here)"

where are all the less serious infections? According to these figures everyone is either recovered or in hospital but other countries display figures of 10% requiring hospitalization. Does this thetefore mean that really Thailand has 7000 infected ? The figures published look odd.

1 hour ago, unsubscribe said:

Honestly I would like to know, how does Germany have almost 25,000 cases and only 94 deaths?

I'm wondering if the Germans are just doing a much better job than everyone else in aggressively testing asymptomatic people. 

Maybe the .3% fatality rate is the most accurate assessment we have of the actual death rate of covid-19 if we test everyone and have hospital beds available for those that need them. I recall a paper published by Science that analyzed the Chinese data before their lockdown and estimated that 70% of infections were never detected because they were asymptomatic.

If so that would be great news.

the german outbreak is reportedly in a younger demographic

• Like 1

Great idea to save face, Rather than say we were totally wrong and there were 5,000 cases last month, just increase the daily amount by some random figure until the real number is reached. Nothing to lose now as other countries have restricted travel. 

2 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

where are all the less serious infections? According to these figures everyone is either recovered or in hospital but other countries display figures of 10% requiring hospitalization. Does this thetefore mean that really Thailand has 7000 infected ? The figures published look odd.

i think because in thailand you have to go to hospital if you test positive whilst in other countries you only get hospitalized if positive AND with severe symptoms

3886 pending results in the report from yesterday. They can't keep up with the PUI increases, superlabs or no.

92 cases that tested positive and are awaiting investigation into how they contracted the disease

that'd be stage 3.

Edited by DrTuner

3 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Wot still no stage 3?

:crazy:

Yep ... No Stage 3 and only 1 Death mmmmm 

Samui closed bars 4 days ago so in thai style the all kept open and restaurants were packed

mass exodus of BKK ... It’s started so hold on to your knickers

R0 is significantly lower in tropical countries. It went into thousands in few days in the cold climate countries from a couple of tens. In Thailand it stayed almost a month at 20-40. No hospitals reported any kind of ICU problems. This is very much direct contact spreading in Thailand, instead of droplet and surface spreading.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

how long have they been or will they be in the hospital. I ask because the number of recovered ones is very low and hasn't change for quite some time....

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-coronavirus-update-crisis-proving-that-thailand-not-a-medical-hub-after-all!-private-hospitals-scamming-patients-especially-foreigners-while-

If we do not have that many Covid-19 cases why are all public hospitals already over crammed and people with symptoms being asked to come back later (we have evidence on this on video and witnesses so do not dare to accuse us of disseminating fake news or will sue legally!) Why are there so many PUIs (patient under investigation) being hospitalized for a long time when a test needs 20 to 25 minutes to confirm the results and another 24 hours to confirm it.

It's because of the long hospitalisation period that calculating case fatality using the number of confirmed cases as the base is wrong. The correct method is deaths/(discharged + dead). Otherwise you could be waiting 30 days for someone diagnosed positive today to pop off. It's the high number of of 'in transit" patients that are distoring the true CFR.

Here they say the CFR in Asean is 17.65 per cent and globally 13 per cent. They also point out that this has increased from 8 per cent two weeks ago. https://aecnewstoday.com/2020/covid-19-in-asean-update-for-march-23/ 

18 minutes ago, Timwin said:

R0 is significantly lower in tropical countries. It went into thousands in few days in the cold climate countries from a couple of tens. In Thailand it stayed almost a month at 20-40. No hospitals reported any kind of ICU problems. This is very much direct contact spreading in Thailand, instead of droplet and surface spreading.

And you believe the numbers that have been given. Such a brave soul you are. The hospitals and provinces were under orders not to give out any info, and thus it was not until things started leaking that the numbers started to move.  Now that each of the provincial governors has been put on the spot, should there be a problem in their province who will take the blame, not the government, lets hope your beliefs are true, and the white rabbit did not go down the hole with Alice following....

Thailand, South Korea and Japan were the first three infected countries outside China.   

In facts, Thailand was the very first one. 

South Korea and Japan officials had done more work than the Thai counterparts in controlling the spread and  ......   

I trust the weather in Thailand is helping all the Thai and all of us here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhonKaenAde said:

Hype or reality, too little too late, what happened to a ban on travel, where are the thousands from the BKK mass exodus over the last couple of days, I wonder how many of them may be infected. An interesting piece of reading  for all you conspiracy theorists :- https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-coronavirus-update-crisis-proving-that-thailand-not-a-medical-hub-after-all!-private-hospitals-scamming-patients-especially-foreigners-while-

A remarkable demonstration of naivety in the article. For example, 'They can even start an online petition etc and ask their governments for total trade, travel and support boycotts. Also post online in their home countries about the names of these private hospitals and their practices'. Really? Alice in wonderland stuff. The Thai response would be that if we don't like it we are free to leave, and the hospitals would sue for damaging their reputation. The unnamed writer, whose credentials we don't know, lives on another planet.