Thailand reports 106 new coronavirus cases and 3 deaths

webfact

Thailand reports 106 new coronavirus cases and 3 deaths

BREAKING.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has recorded 106 new coronavirus cases and three more deaths, a health official said on Tuesday.

The country now has 827 cases and 4 fatalities since the outbreak began.

The three deaths were patients who had other health complications, including a 70-year-old man who had tuberculosis, a 45-year-old man who had diabetes and a 79-year-old man who had health problems, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a Public Health Ministry spokesman, said.

Since the start of the outbreak, 57 patients have recovered and gone home, while 766 are still being treated in hospitals.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-24

Three Covid-19 patients die while 106 new cases confirmed

By THE NATION

800_a994ca058c32f12.png?v=1585018516

Three Covid-19 patients died on Monday while 106 new cases were confirmed, taking Thailand's total cases past 800, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said on Tuesday (March 24).

The cases over a 24-hour period can be divided into three groups.

The first group of 25 are connected to cluster cases -- five people had attended a boxing event in a stadium, six had been to entertainment venues, two had attended religious ceremonies and 12 had had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected.

The second group comprised 34 people of whom 20 had just returned from overseas (8 Thais and 12 foreigners), 10 were working in crowded areas or close to foreigners, and four are medical staff in Yala, Phuket, Buri Ram, and Nakhon Pathom provinces. Taweesin added that all the medical personnel got infected because patients lied or did not reveal their travel history.

The last group of 47 are being investigated on the source of the infection.

Meanwhile, five people have fully recovered and returned home.

The total number of deaths from Covid-19 increased to four, three fatalities being reported on Tuesday. A 70-year-old male patient who also carried tuberculosis(the first critical symptom patient in Thailand), died on Monday. Another 79-year-old man, whose infection was related to a boxing stadium cluster, carried multiple chronic diseases and succumbed, while a 45-year-old man also suffered from diabetes and obesity.

As of March 24, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stands at 827 -- 766 are under treatment, 57 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been four deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384724

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24

6 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I for one, have stopped trying to advise family and friends about the actions of Thais, there just isn't any real point in it. Thais think they already know best, they're just not interested in learning - especially not from a foreigner.

mate it sou true!

ignorance breeds ignorance..

as does arrogance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Liverpoolfan said:

2 'reported' deaths.

I'm wondering how many deaths haven't been reported as Wuflu, and instead been marked as 'pneumonia.'

gotta be in the hundreds by now I would say.

quite possible, well maybe possible. IF there may have been hundreds dead of that were stated to be from pneumonia or other fatal reasons but were actually from WuFlu, would the number of current cases be an order or two of magnitude higher than govt stated AND with accompanying deaths?

My OP said if one believes say 70,000 infected rather than 700 govt stated (now said to be 827) the infection rate would be 0.001  If the death rate was instead of 2 (one who had dengue and other one had TB) was 200 or 2000 - 2000 divide 70,000,000 and it's still just 0.00003 (or .003%) fatality rate.

Right thinking people do not destroy countries economies based upon those numbers, either the govt stated ones or 100X govt stated if you choose.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Truth is not valued in Thai society, only what is convenient for the purposes of the moment is important, and any moral messages are lost very quickly. It's possible, perhaps even probable, that there are some people in Thailand (including in the government) who value truth for its own sake, but in my view, it's a very small percentage people who are smart enough to the stand above the prevailing culture. Thai culture, apart from not valuing truth, is extremely intolerant of people who do no people who do not comply with the Borg, and who wish to follow their conscience. Thai culture is a group game, not an individual game, and people that do not comply are quickly ostracised or otherwise punished for the impertinence (or, more accurately the impudence thinking they're better than other Thais). Like forest animals in a forest clearing, they were always equate what is culturally familiar, with what is safe.

You claim to be a misanthrope, so where's all this cultural anthropology coming from?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Truth is not valued in Thai society, only what is convenient for the purposes of the moment is important, and any moral messages are lost very quickly. It's possible, perhaps even probable, that there are some people in Thailand (including in the government) who value truth for its own sake, but in my view, it's a very small percentage people who are smart enough to the stand above the prevailing culture. Thai culture, apart from not valuing truth, is extremely intolerant of people who do no people who do not comply with the Borg, and who wish to follow their conscience. Thai culture is a group game, not an individual game, and people that do not comply are quickly ostracised or otherwise punished for the impertinence (or, more accurately the impudence thinking they're better than other Thais). Like forest animals in a forest clearing, they were always equate what is culturally familiar, with what is safe.

ParkerN, all so true.

The chance of posting stats and stating facts even if allowing for 100X margin of error in the hopes of having an influence on anything that happens here are lesser than the chance of contracting and dying of WuFlu. I know, but sometimes I feel the need to speak up.

The chance of staying happily retired expat in this nice little country will diminish exponentially as the economy goes from bad to worse, and THAT worries me. Of course I could repatriate to the ussa and be subject to effective house arrest... the world has gone nuts.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:
46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You may be right, but what possible advantage would come from downplaying the figures, tourism is already shut down, the country is already in semi lockdown. I cant see what could be gained by not doing correct numbers.

OK i agree with you, why downplay the numbers, but the government keeps prattling on about plenty of masks, yet nobody can find any.

So in my opinion they are deliberately hiding the truth.

maybe by him letting this particular case outcome go public; 

- was the embedded news that the plasme transfer from an earlier survivor - did its job!

remember locals only believe it if it has been spoonfed-obvious; that at least one part-outcome worked its magic...