Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, rabang said:

Just get back to my condo. I don't have any visa issues either, for a while at least. For the last night I have booked a hotel near the airport. Bit too far to walk though, at least with a luggage...

You will be able to take a taxi tomorrow no need for an airport hotel. You can also use grab to get a taxi as well. Stop worrying about tomorrow. 

19 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

fine where i love, went to see them yesterday and was told that if conditions are still like this when i'm due to leave after my 90 stay they will give me 30 more days.

Don't forget your embassy letter????

16 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

What are you thinking?  #1 rule now is stay at home - social distancing

If you need to "visit someone" do it on Line or Messenger

Big C, several other grocers can deliver food to you home

No reason to go driving your car to another province right now.

Stay home, stay clean, stay strong.

Peace

You don’t know what I’m thinking do you? I never said. Driving by car two hours over to a rural area in the middle of the jungle in those mountains down there isn’t exactly the same as taking a stroll through a crowded mall. And by the way I am actually considering canceling that trip even but my question wasn’t about what I’m thinking. In fact those mountains in the Khaoi Yai rural areas is probably safer than it is up here. But if they start closing roads bad idea to be traveling anywhere at all. Not even 30 minutes away. 

Edited by JimLuce
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Panic buying here we go again

What i want to know is this state of emergancy does it mean that all flights back to uk will be cancelled and all flights in will be cancelled ? does anybody know if uk residents can still fly home to uk ??

19 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

yeah but there could be another flip flop within minutes of the initial flip flop  

better if  they just  chopped  off  both feet and be done  with it......they can hobble  along then as usual

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Peace

And staying at home helps reduce the possibility of the virus transferring across the populace,

19 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

This isn't how my wife tells the story of the Airport Link virus line at rush hour ..... I can only hope they enforce this but I am doubtful to say the least 

It was like that yesterday when I was on it. A few more people standing.

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Peace

Blocking provinces in general wouldn't make much sense. If you live in the middle of a province you could travel a fair way to visit someone who lived at the edge of the province. They in turn could travel even farther across to the other side of the province but couldn't travel at all in the opposite direction. 

The not leaving home rule makes more sense. The big questions are will it be enforced? Will it be enforced equally? Will exceptions be made that aren't really necessary?

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

no extension but they cant leave?

No they’re not my Australian friend is getting his now but he said he needed a letter from his embassy which they already sent him and he’s doing ok. That’s just for people who are stranded here. 

Edited by JimLuce

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is doing a 90 day an essential task in order to leave home ?

Given the state of Immigration system yes.

I am unable to do 90 days online as it won't load past the 1st page... hasn't since it started.

So next week I will make my 45th visit to the local office, to confirm I still live at the same address.
So much for not making unnecessary trips!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Granted it was a small group but still... TiT.

Went to Tesco had some guy try an stick his thermometer on me, told  him no thanks and turned off  leaving him with the trolley..........how  can I be 2  metres away when hes  right in my face, went to 7-11 no such  rubbish there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

PM declares state of emergency

prauth.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday (March 24) declared a state of emergency to contain the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the emergency decree on public administration in an emergency situation.

The decree takes effect on March 26.

Three Covid-19 patients died on Monday while 106 new cases were confirmed, taking Thailand's total cases past 800, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said on Tuesday (March 24).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384733

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24

OK , so what exactly is "The decree"?

8 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

I am getting angry at some of the comments, are all Foreigners complete numpties or do they not have the ability to read. We have all seen what is happening across the Globe , hoping like hell that it will not happen here, but in truth those that can THINK , knew all along it was going to happen , many thought and planned but an awful lot did nothing and now ask idiotic and pointless questions , about Immigration for example, when any man would have checked weeks ago if he thought he would have a problem, it is down to us not THEM to make sure we abide by the rules .Are all those complaining so bloody dense they cannot think or act.

Sorry sympathy is for the really ill and very old who rely on others, not most on here who I am sure are reasonably healthy but seem unable to think. 

grrrrr .... I am not having any visa issues but have a little more sympathy. I mean they just changed the rules and now there is confusion. There is confusion with their rules at the best of time and they are also applied differently depending on which immigration office or officer you get.

maybe wind your neck in a bit

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

What i want to know is this state of emergancy does it mean that all flights back to uk will be cancelled and all flights in will be cancelled ? does anybody know if uk residents can still fly home to uk ??

Just checked on Kayak and three seem to be flights from today until 7th April. It would be best to check the actual airlines and you might need to check on transfer rules at connecting airports. They might not be allowed and it's possible there would be long stopovers with no option of leaving the airport to stay in a hotel. Direct flights would avoid this. 

Looking at direct flights between now and 31st there are 3 Thai airways ranging from £925 to £3033 in economy and BA £3813 in basic economy. Some off these seem to be more expensive than premium economy. Thai Airways ous £2248 in business class and the cheapest business seat on EVA Air is £1932. Amazing but then airfares have never made sense. 

The trouble is things are changing all the time so you'd probably need to either check the airline websites or phone them if you can get through. 

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

14 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

I am getting angry at some of the comments, are all Foreigners complete numpties or do they not have the ability to read. We have all seen what is happening across the Globe , hoping like hell that it will not happen here, but in truth those that can THINK , knew all along it was going to happen , many thought and planned but an awful lot did nothing and now ask idiotic and pointless questions , about Immigration for example, when any man would have checked weeks ago if he thought he would have a problem, it is down to us not THEM to make sure we abide by the rules .Are all those complaining so bloody dense they cannot think or act.

Sorry sympathy is for the really ill and very old who rely on others, not most on here who I am sure are reasonably healthy but seem unable to think. 

Yeah foreigners 

32 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Perhaps stricter measures is the only way to 'flatten the curve'. On my morning walk today I came across these coworkers posing for a group photo to celebrate that they were following Covid-19 procedures and assuring safety. the signs they are holding talk about hand washing, distancing, and face masks. I first saw them then saw them standing in essentially the same spot 15 minutes later on my way back. The person taking the photo told them to gather closer a few times so they could all fit in the shot! Granted it was a small group but still... TiT.

20200325_092420_HDR.jpg

20200325_092448_HDR.jpg

They are confused, for years they had been told “ safety in numbers “ !!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, madmitch said:

Why introduce a state of emergency but fail to provide any details of what it entails?

Probably Wissanu going through the lawbooks to see if Article 44 can be reinstated!

Probably because they have a list of potential actions (or just thoughts) but have not nailed down what will be applied on the 26th.  Also note this list of restrictions is subject to change at any time.