Masa Harina

• 4 months later...

Yep.  Villa has it.  Only place I've ever found true masa harina (Bob's Red Mill).  There are some brands that label corn meal as masa that aren't actually masa harina, but Bob's at Villa is.

Here's a post I did back in January (with photos).  I've since seen it at Villa a couple of more times, but it's hit or miss....

• 1 month later...

Villa does have masa Harina very expensive in less than a pound packages. Maybe twice a year I have old friends in the US send me a care package 3, 2 kilo bags of White Maseca para torillas, 20 lbs. box is about $70. for shipping. (I just do not like Bob's masa harina) Tamales we make with the yellow corn paste from Makro or Villa.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, bangsaenguy said:

Not familiar with yellow corn paste. Will check it out. Thanks. Made masa from scratch with cracked corn and tried to make corn tortillas. Could never seen to get them thin enough with my Lazada ordered press

I used to live in mexico. And the local always preferred handmade tortillas even though they were thicker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, bangsaenguy said:

While we are discussing Mexican food, folks say tomatillos grow wild in Thailand but my wife has never seen them and I can not find them in any market. Any ideas?

They do grow wild in Thailand they look more like gooseberries small and yellow, grow on the edges of the rice field. Do not look anything like the green tomatillos. The corn paste is Nixtamal Masa from regular sized Thai yellow dent corn. I stopped growing Mexican large white dent corn at home getting up in age. we used the Yellow corn paste (wet Masa Harina) that we regrind in a food processor to make it a finer grind but is hard to make tortllas use it to make tamales. they are not comparable to tortillas made with maseca (Mexican brand shipped to me from Arizona)