Thailand reports sharp fall in new COVID-19 cases

webfact

46 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I haven't read much from people claiming there are large numbers of unreported deaths...

But you are right that there are vast numbers of unrecorded infections.

As is the case around the world... So the actual death rates due to Covid are much less than being reported % wise...

Do you have any actual data, numbers for this?

The head of the WHO delegation that went to Wuhan later gave a presentation with lots of charts. He said they were very surprised not to find evidence of the large numbers of mild unreported cases.

This is a press conference transcript, what I saw was a video data presentation by the head.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/transcripts/joint-mission-press-conference-script-english-final.pdf?sfvrsn=51c90b9e_2

Here is a different video, see about the 3:00 minute mark

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

See, here's the thing for you, pmh2009, and the other naysayers. It's not feasible to test the entire population. I agree, there are flaws in the methodology and the resulting data. However, what we've got is a statistically significant sample, day after day. If the sampling  method has remained constant, the trend is undeniably downward. 

The generals are fudging the numbers, you say? So be it. 

There's not enough testing, you say? Have it your way. 

Rural folks are hiding in the countryside, you say? You're probably right. 

If those things are true, they have been true throughout. We have been reading your negative remarks for weeks, which means, even if you're right, those flaws in the method have been factored in for weeks. They're constant. The flaws you dwell on are accounted for in the methodology. All things being equal, the trend is downward. That's good news. 

Downward trend you say.....if it keeps falling they will have to post negative numbers or else they will need to do something else to ensure the closure's they have put in place are backed by some other statistics.  Lets see, "how about we say to the public that the surrounding countries numbers are going through the roof, and so that's why we need to keep all the measures in place for the next several months.  I am not sure what the numbers mean, but if it makes you happy that they are falling, then I have some beachfront property in Las Vegas.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It’s all about closing airport,,, 

airport closed and number of new cases dropped because they test and find only travelers with high temperature and send to hospital But many people outside there with no test 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

How about the theory ( just a guess ! ) .......... Yes, there is little testing done here.  Add to that

the fact that most Thais will stay home when sick, not run to the hospital unless very sick.

And,  maybe Thais immune system is stronger than those from the US ,  where obesity and general health  IMO   is not as tough as these third world groups.

My GF grew up with barely enough to eat,  used to walk everywhere,  and had to fetch the buffaloes and walk through mud and whatever to get home.  She is one healthy girl !  

So, it could be that many here have been exposed but are not dropping like french fries on

the pavement, or in the fields.   

Just my theory.   Maybe we can all get back to normal life soon ( well, you know, Thailand normal)   ????

Thais ran for every small sh... to hospital since it is free

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Pho Ya Ban came around this morning.....apparently to check up on me.   Find out where I been.  No biggy.  About 2 hours later the doctor from the government clinic rang to ask how long I had been in Thailand.  I guess they were worried I had just arrived.  Which is strange as 6 days out of 7 I will see Pho Ya Ban up at the PA hut when I am walking the dogs at much the same time every day!  6:30am is our designated walk time.  

Bro what? Where u live?

Bizarre 

https://youtu.be/nmTCOwZK0jU

Edited by Xaos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

That's because they are testing hardly anyone. How many thai's can splash out on 5000 baht test?

That's a whole month salary compensation from the government

Yep, correct. 

Comparison of testing:

Tests.thumb.PNG.995ccfa7de89d1674573d469328d8d2b.PNG

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Thais will stay home when sick, not run to the hospital unless very sick.

This has not been my experience.

My experience is, "Don't get rain on your head or you'll get sick."

and

Head to the hospital at every small little sign of possible sickness...  "It is but only 20 baht"

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iaminwa said:

Yep, correct. 

Comparison of testing:

80% tests give false positive. 

They test for dna material they not percect. Whole testing is bad ifnu research in it. If u get flu shot it give u positive for covid19 

3 minutes ago, iaminwa said:

Yep, correct. 

Comparison of testing:

Or you could look at Japan 3906 cases and 365 test per million population

The thing I was thinking if the government were fudging the total case figures why they not fudge the testing number which would be much easier to hide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

This has not been my experience.

My experience is, "Don't get rain on your head or you'll get sick."

and

Head to the hospital at every small little sign of possible sickness...  "It is but only 20 baht"

100% spot on! 
I've also heard the "Don't get rain on your head or you'll get sick." line many times lol ! ????

Just thought I would post some useful links in case not posted previously:

https://opendata.data.go.th/dataset/covid-19-daily

https://www.bing.com/covid

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/

As for the statistics, It seems fairly realistic. Look at Finland with similar number of fatal cases, their reported total is about the same as Thailand.

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Maybe you mean T.A.T. ? T.O.T. is the telephone organization.

Just what I thought , paid TOT at Lotus today , don't need to hear from them . Of course if my internet goes noms up I doubt if I will get any sense fron Tesco Lotus.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

what am i going to do with all these cans of mackerel in tomato sauce?

I talked the wife into getting the cans without the tomato sauce...can put it in more stuff later. We have plenty, though. Let's hope we can joke and not really need it. I still don't trust the numbers. 

• Haha 1