NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They can show their proof of income transfers into a Thai bank as an alternative

You're forgetting that folks from countries whose income letters are still accepted by Thai Immigration aren't required to show monthly income transfers into Thailand (so it's doubtful they're even doing such transfers). That requirement is for the folks who no longer can use income letters from their embassy, namely US, UK, and OZ.

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You're forgetting that folks from countries whose income letters are still accepted by Thai Immigration aren't required to show monthly income transfers into Thailand (so it's doubtful they're even doing such transfers). That requirement is for the folks who no longer can use income letters from their embassy, namely US, UK, and OZ.

If they can't provide Embassy income letters they can as an alternative provide proof of transfers.

If their not making transfers how are they living in Thailand.

The financial requirement is monthly 40K marriage, or 65K retirement.

A few could well now be caught out.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If they can't provide Embassy income letters they can as an alternative provide proof of transfers.

If their not making transfers how are they living in Thailand.

The financial requirement is monthly 40K marriage, or 65K retirement.

A few could well now be caught out.

Let's not rehash this old argument. Many living here get their money via atm, over the counter, or charging most of their purchases to credit or debit cards. These avenues don't provide Immigration with the 65/40 baht per month data trail of deposits to a bank account from abroad. I guess if these poor folks who no longer can get an income letter knew 12 months ago about Covid-19 -- then they should have planned accordingly.....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I guess if these poor folks who no longer can get an income letter knew 12 months ago about Covid-19 -- then they should have planned accordingly.....

I guess if you'd obtained the correct Visa for the purpose of your stay in Thailand and registered your foreign marriage in the time you've been here, then you wouldn't be in a pickle now and blaming everyone but yourself ……… some planning.

21 hours ago, uberfarang said:

A post on topic that wasn't noticed. Did the officer explicitly told you to come back on March 20? That's what I was told too (in Bangkok) but others who went to the same office later were told they don't have to come back once the "under consideration" stamp is changed into a "permission of stay". If you do go back on the 20th, would you mind updating us? Btw I think embassies (confirmed for France, UK, etc) stopped issuing those letters so even if you wanted to apply for another covid extension, I don't think that would be possible anymore.

@Uberfarrang: thanks for picking up. No, no one told me to come back on April 20th. But that is also because in Chiang Mai you don't get anywhere near an officer. I was even told the decisions "are made in BKK". But in comparing examples beware, because my "under consideration" stamp was not changed to "permission of stay" as I read it,  but "get out of the country by 20th"!! Obviously that is not possible with the international flight ban, now extended to 30th April.  You are right, as I discovered, Brit Embassy no longer issues the letter. I will take the email with me from them which confirms that. 

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Although the revised Police Order on extensions for retirement states that either a letter from your embassy or proof of transfers can be used, I have seen several reports that immigration offices will not accept the proof of transfers from nationals whose embassies still issue income letters. Possibly, in view of the current changed circumstances, proof of transfers will be allowed. However, I would not count on it, even if people have shown sufficient foresight to ensure that they have transfers for the last 12 months, every month, with the right transfer codes just in case their embassy was closed at the time they needed an income letter.

A few troll posts have been reported and removed.   Continued bickering and race baiting will earn suspension.  

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

The rules can be found here:   https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Although the revised Police Order on extensions for retirement states that either a letter from your embassy or proof of transfers can be used, I have seen several reports that immigration offices will not accept the proof of transfers from nationals whose embassies still issue income letters.

Yes, I've seen the same reports, ridiculous, but it is what it is.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Possibly, in view of the current changed circumstances, proof of transfers will be allowed. However, I would not count on it, even if people have shown sufficient foresight to ensure that they have transfers for the last 12 months, every month, with the right transfer codes just in case their embassy was closed at the time they needed an income letter.

For sure, it will be interesting to see how Immigration handle such situations where Embassy Income letters can no longer be obtained as proof of income.

• Like 1

I am a 76 year old Brit, residing in Bangkok on a non-O visa which expires on 29th April.

I suffer from coronary artery disease and reduced kidney function having had one-third of a kidney removed due to cancer.

As I am in the severe at-risk category I would prefer not to have to go to Chang Wattana to renew it.

I have been advised that if I have a letter from a doctor I can nominate someone to go on my behalf.

Where can I find the details?

I emailed Immigration but never received a reply.
Edited by vicbkk
spelling

3 minutes ago, vicbkk said:
As I am in the severe at-risk category I would prefer not to have to go to Chang Wattana to renew it.
I have been advised that if I have a letter from a doctor I can nominate someone to go on my behalf.
Where can I find the details?

The allowance for that is shown on the TM7 application form.

image.png.a00393880737a6bff14e17551e2998de.png

If you have a letter from a doctor stating you cannot or should not go to a immigration office you can designate somebody to do it for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vicbkk said:
I am a 76 year old Brit, residing in Bangkok on a non-O visa which expires on 29th April.

Are you currently here on a 1-year permission to stay from your Non Imm O Visa?

Or did you enter Thailand on a 90-day permission to stay?

The answer to the above will determine whether you are eligible for the amnesty.

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you currently here on a 1-year permission to stay from your Non Imm O Visa?

Or did you enter Thailand on a 90-day permission to stay?

The answer to the above will determine whether you are eligible for the amnesty.

He apparently has a one year extension of stay. A non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry.

He is not asking about the "amnesty".

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The allowance for that is shown on the TM7 application form.

image.png.a00393880737a6bff14e17551e2998de.png

If you have a letter from a doctor stating you cannot or should not go to a immigration office you can designate somebody to do it for you.

Thank you UbonJoe.

I will let you know if that works

On 4/13/2020 at 11:25 AM, CodeCoded said:

@ANDREW999 Just to say I'm near exact same situation as you. Arrived Dec 27th on 2 month tourist visa, extended 1 month, extended 1 week whilst waiting for letter from British Embassy, and now "under consideration" until 21st April (a worrying non-safe distance of 6hrs in ChonBuri immigration that day...ugh). 

I was in the process of setting up a Thai owned company and was applying for Non-B when it all just shut-down. Without 21 days left on a tourist visa and no way to renew it, and no home to go back to in UK, am now waiting things out here - hovering like a fly I gues....

Hoping to go see a contact any day now about my current Visa situation and work out what's what. I'm thinking if there's one more month extension, may have enough funds to try the Elite visa at that point...certainly saving enough now there's a lockdown and alcohol-ban!

If I have any news of consequence will update

So if anyone interested who is in the Under Consideration status, after catching up on the posts here since my last, I still didn't see if it was clear if I could visit the IO before my end date (21st April), so I went along this morning (11:30am) to the Chonburi, Pattaya immigration office. 

TL;DR: For what seems like a no questions asked stamp (not yet sure what it will be), visit the IO on the day Under Consideration visa expires, not any earlier, but it seems for sure that Under Consideration Visa's are not part of the amnesty in the Chonburi province

First, there was no queue or anything outside, immediate entry (no surprise now), though did have to wait to cool off as my temp read 38 (that be 10 min the taxi motorbike ride there in the sun)

• I showed the main officer (I believe he's the Captain) my Under Consideratio Visa stamp in my passport at the reception desk and he sent me to desk 6 (the one at the back), no ticket given.
  • I immediatley noticed they had put up perspex glass panels at all the desks, a much needed improvement not only for the staff's health and safety but added a more professional touch. The building has a toally different vibe when near empty.
  • I showed the IO my passport and he was about to give me a stamp within a few seconds no questions or documents asked, until he noticed my Under Consideration stamp date was 21st April. I do believe that stamp he was about to apply was going to be just a valid extension until 30th April - it wasn't an adjustable stamp, so must be fixed wording.
  • I was told to come back on the day my Under Consideration visa expires

Will update / quote this accordingly if people finding it useful. Thought I'd contribute as without these posts I would have assumed I was eligible for the waiver / amnesty renewal program!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CodeCoded said:

So if anyone interested who is in the Under Consideration status, after catching up on the posts here since my last, I still didn't see if it was clear if I could visit the IO before my end date (21st April), so I went along this morning (11:30am) to the Chonburi, Pattaya immigration office. 

TL;DR: For what seems like a no questions asked stamp (not yet sure what it will be), visit the IO on the day Under Consideration visa expires, not any earlier, but it seems for sure that Under Consideration Visa's are not part of the amnesty in the Chonburi province

Thanks for the report.

What was your original permission to stay date, before you went to IO and received the under-consideration stamp?

CASE 1 > If that original permission to stay date as stamped in your passport was after 26 March, you would have been eligible for the automatic extension till April 30.  And in that case it seems to depend on the IO whether they require you to come back for the conversion of your under-consideration stamp into a permission to stay stamp.

CASE 2 > If your original permission to stay date was before 26 March, you are indeed required to come back on the report-back date and have that under consideration stamp converted into a permission to stay stamp (which will then make you automatically eligible for the amnesty).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CodeCoded said:

First, there was no queue or anything outside, immediate entry (no surprise now), though did have to wait to cool off as my temp read 38 (that be 10 min the taxi motorbike ride there in the sun)

• I showed the main officer (I believe he's the Captain) my Under Consideratio Visa stamp in my passport at the reception desk and he sent me to desk 6 (the one at the back), no ticket given.
  • I immediatley noticed they had put up perspex glass panels at all the desks, a much needed improvement not only for the staff's health and safety but added a more professional touch. The building has a toally different vibe when near empty.
  • I showed the IO my passport and he was about to give me a stamp within a few seconds no questions or documents asked, until he noticed my Under Consideration stamp date was 21st April. I do believe that stamp he was about to apply was going to be just a valid extension until 30th April - it wasn't an adjustable stamp, so must be fixed wording.
  • I was told to come back on the day my Under Consideration visa expires

Will update / quote this accordingly if people finding it useful. Thought I'd contribute as without these posts I would have assumed I was eligible for the waiver / amnesty renewal program!

Thanks. Nice report. What people really want to have asked of the IOs when they report for that under consideration stamp is whether people who had a valid to stay stamp that was after March 26 needed to come to get the under consideration stamp changed to valid or were they covered under the amnesty to April 30.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodeCoded said:

Thought I'd contribute as without these posts I would have assumed I was eligible for the waiver / amnesty renewal program!

From what i can read in your story, nobody told you that you are not eligable. So why do you conclude that you are not eligable?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

From what i can read in your story, nobody told you that you are not eligable. So why do you conclude that you are not eligable?

They could have just been giving you the stamp because you were eligible for the stamp. What day did your validity of stay end and did you ask if you were eligible?

On 4/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report.

What was your original permission to stay date, before you went to IO and received the under-consideration stamp?

CASE 1 > If that original permission to stay date as stamped in your passport was after 26 March, you would have been eligible for the automatic extension till April 30.  And in that case it seems to depend on the IO whether they require you to come back for the conversion of your under-consideration stamp into a permission to stay stamp.

CASE 2 > If your original permission to stay date was before 26 March, you are indeed required to come back on the report-back date and have that under consideration stamp converted into a permission to stay stamp (which will then make you automatically eligible for the amnesty).

Hi Peter, 

In my post, I quoted my original post which detailed my original entry so readers could see the complete timeline.
For clarity: 
Arrive on 2 month Tourist Visa on 27th December ->
Original exit -> 25th February 
Extend 1 month -> 24th March

Extend 1 week -> 1st April
Get Under consideration-> 21st April

I'll be heading to immigration office tomorrow and am expecting to be put on the amensty.

14 hours ago, CodeCoded said:

Hi Peter, 

In my post, I quoted my original post which detailed my original entry so readers could see the complete timeline.
For clarity: 

I'll be heading to immigration office tomorrow and am expecting to be put on the amensty.

@Peter Denis
So another follow up

Went to immigration office today, had to wait 30mins or so for it all to be done.

But - I got another Under Consideration stamp until 1st May. I believe some default 10 days extension...*sigh*

So back to the immigration office on the 1st May I guess =/ Hopefully everyone else gets automatic extension and I'm not in some nightmrae scenario where everyone is at immigration that day as well....

Edited by CodeCoded

14 minutes ago, CodeCoded said:

So another follow up
Went to immigration office today, had to wait 30mins or so for it all to be done.

But - I got another Under Consideration stamp until 1st May. I believe some default 10 days extension...*sigh*

So back to the immigration office on the 1st May I guess =/ Hopefully everyone else gets automatic extension and I'm not in some nightmare scenario where everyone is at immigration that day as well....

So on your report-back date of today, your under consideration stamp was NOT converted into a permission to stay, but instead you got another under consideration stamp, this time with report-back date on 1 May.

Don't have a clue why they did not provide you the permission to stay, so you have no choice but to return at the 1 May report-back date (as it seems that for an unclear reason you are not eligible for the automatic extension).

@CodeCoded

You were given permission of stay until 25th Feb.

You extended to 24th March (a date prior to the amnesty date of 26th March)

You were then given a 7 day extension to leave the Country by 1st April.

I think you've presented a problem for Immigration as you didn't/couldn't leave the Country by 1st April and your entitled permission of stay under the regulations ended on 24th March.

It appears in Immigrations view you don't qualify for automatic extensions under the amnesty, but as an alternative they are technically extending your stay by virtue of 'under consideration' stamps.

My question is why you didn't return to the UK prior to 24th March. I assume you had a return flight booked.

International commercial flights weren't ceased until April 1st.

Immigration must be pondering the same question.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

@CodeCoded

You were given permission of stay until 25th Feb.

You extended to 24th March (a date prior to the amnesty date of 26th March)

You were then given a 7 day extension to leave the Country by 1st April.

I think you've presented a problem for Immigration as you didn't/couldn't leave the Country by 1st April and your entitled permission of stay under the regulations ended on 24th March.

It appears in Immigrations view you don't qualify for automatic extensions under the amnesty, but as an alternative they are technically extending your stay by virtue of 'under consideration' stamps.

My question is why you didn't return to the UK prior to 24th March. I assume you had a return flight booked.

International commercial flights weren't ceased until April 1st.

Immigration must be pondering the same question.

@Tanoshi
Below is for Tanoshi to help clarify their intrigue, nothing useful here!

"I assume you had a return flight booked."
That's quite an assumption Tanoshi and feels somewhat judgemental ???? - 'typical tourist farang'.....

I'm merely passing on my situation for others to help build a picture due to my own situation is as you pointed out, a little 'problematic' but, again, referring to my first post, someone else was in identical situation as me and several others were before me today for same reason

This isn't a situation I'm keen to be in, tired of living in limbo and month by month rentals - but if you must know, to alleviate this pondering, I 'left' UK some years ago, due to the nature of my work, so have no home 'per-se' to go back to (other than my mother's who is in the vulnerable category) and was meant to be heading to Singapore to finally settle and run a business out there, but during my time in Thailand, I decided to form a Thai owned business here instead (Singapore raised their digital tax during this time). It was all go until Covid-19 suddenly meant I couldn't get those extra days I needed on my passport to apply for Non-B and only had a week left (The tax accountant had convinced me prior this wasn't an issue). I extended 7 days, to literally buy myself some time and see which way things went with neighbouring countries (

Vietnam in particular) then saw I could obtain a the letter from UK Embassy just via email and with everything closed and so suddenly upside down and no-where to go, I applied for my Under Consideration as it became clear I couldn't re-enter Thailand if I left.

So here I am. Keen to wait it out, until re-entry is allowed, so I can get on with my Non-B which I've already paid 30k THB for forming a Thai company. If UK returns to normality and there's a safe place for me to stay and no other neighbouring ASEAN countries are open, then yes, towards end of May when it looks like this may be the case, I will have to willingly move on to only wait for Thailand to re-open so I can get a new Toursit Visa and have those 21 days clear to continue my Non-B!

So no - had no return flight but did have onward flight to Singapore to run a company but plans changed days before Covid-19 which got me where I am now.

If immigration did care to ask, I would be happy to explain and reach an outcome, but since everyone is processed without question I noticed in my 6hrs at the office a few weeks back, it doesn't seem I will ever get the chance and no immigration lawyer can offer any assistance whilst I am still under consideration.

Hope this answers your question ???? For sure, I'm lucky to be here...am I taking advantage? No - I don't feel I am because in all intent and purpose I am in process of legally moving and working here (and was even interviewing Thais for employment!), just got caught short by a few days mid-flow, and, in truth, I really do not want to go stay at my Mother's (where i normally stay for months at a time when I do head back) for slightest fear of contagion. I am lucky to have that freedom to be where I want (but not rich enough yet to get an Elite Visa ???? )

• Like 2

@Peter Denis
Exactly - was no conversion and have to head back 1st May. I've attached photo for clarification.

Could be many reasons, one that paperwork is less for such a stamp, so until they know what's happening may as well keep me ticking over easiest way possible rather than change to amnesty which is only 9 days left.

I'll be making up my mind come 1st May and my re-visit to the immigration office on whether to just pack up and go isolate somewhere else until they re-open their borders to continue my Non-B process or if given the choice, continue to stay.

I have rented a lovely place for myself to work in peace for the last month, but thatruns out on 3rd May so it's all a tad stressful - but definitely not keen to throw myself into the bustle of international travel looking for new digs =/

underconsideration.jpeg

Edited by CodeCoded
smaller photo

@Peter Denis
Exactly - was no conversion and have to head back 1st May. I've attached photo for clarification.

Could be many reasons, one that paperwork is less for such a stamp, so until they know what's happening may as well keep me ticking over easiest way possible rather than change to amnesty which is only 9 days left.

I'll be making up my mind come 1st May and my re-visit to the immigration office on whether to just pack up and go isolate somewhere else until they re-open their borders to continue my Non-B process or if given the choice, continue to stay.

I have rented a lovely place for myself to work in peace for the last month, but thatruns out on 3rd May so it's all a tad stressful - but definitely not keen to throw myself into the bustle of international travel looking for new digs =/

underconsideration.jpeg

I must have arrive to late for 1st of may. Had under consideration stamp until today (april 21st) aswell. But was give a new under consideration and was told to report back on april 29. 

Entered on visa exemption late January and first normal extension expired march 30th. 

hi, I went to immigration to extend due to my flight being cancelled I have a 1 year multi O visa borders closed so no visa run, got a  visa extension letter from uk embassy ,got a 30 extention had to reprt after 20days to get full 30 days ,was told I have to do it all again,trouble is the uk embassy stopped issuing the  visa extension letters. anyone else have this happen <deleted> we do now

"I assume you had a return flight booked."
That's quite an assumption Tanoshi and feels somewhat judgemental ???? - 'typical tourist farang'.....

I wasn't trying to be judgemental, I can perfectly understand anyone preferring to stay in Thailand rather than return to the UK given the situation, however your situation is different as you've explained.

I was merely suggesting how it could appear to Immigration.

I extended 7 days, to literally buy myself some time and see which way things went with neighbouring countries

Having spent 60 days in Thailand, then extending for a further 30 days, you'd then exhausted your permission of stay according to the regulations. There is no 7 day extension application. What in effect happened is you applied for a further 30 day extension, which was refused, but they grant a 7 day extension to leave the Country, which you couldn't do.

As your original maximum permission of stay (90 days) ended prior to the 26th of March, you do not fall into the category for automatic extensions based on the Ministerial announcement.

Your in a 'niche' stuck between a rock and a hard place merely by the timing of your entry and the effective date of the amnesty. I'm not sure Immigration know how to procedure in these situations, so grant you an 'under consideration' stamp, as opposed to granting a permission of stay stamp.

That is my personal opinion of how Immigration probably view your situation.

Whilst 'under consideration' you are not on overstay, it's just the inconvenience of returning to an Immigration office for further stamps, as opposed to those who fall under the amnesty and are automatically extended a stay.

It defeats the object of an amnesty intended to reduce 'gatherings' at Immigration, but it is what it is unfortunately.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ginnelly said:

hi, I went to immigration to extend due to my flight being cancelled I have a 1 year multi O visa borders closed so no visa run, got a  visa extension letter from uk embassy ,got a 30 extention had to reprt after 20days to get full 30 days ,was told I have to do it all again,trouble is the uk embassy stopped issuing the  visa extension letters. anyone else have this happen <deleted> we do now

If you current permission of stay ends later than 26th March, you don't have to do anything.

Your stay is currently automatically extended to 30th April.

Await further announcements on automatic extensions beyond 30/4.

• Like 1

So I spent hours trying to get in contact with CW today finally got someone and they got an English speaker. She finally went and checked my computer file and said yes I needed to report on the 23rd. She said I could then apply for another extension with another personal letter from the embassy. Of course I contacted the US Embassy via e-mail and the automated reply said they will no longer do that for people with my stamps. Tried to call US embassy emergency line, but no one will answer.

So I think we need to go since we have the under consideration stamp even though we have the valid stamps for after March 26th (mine was for March 29th) since we went and did the emergency covid extensions. This is really bureaucratic hell.

Edited by vermin on arrival

For many, their mind is being made up for them due to the situation.

With land borders closed and International flights suspended, there is little you can do but stay for the foreseeable future.