Chickens ? what do I need to know ?

CharlieH

Hi Guys,

Looking for some info and guidance about chickens please.

I know absolutely nothing so starting the research on this, the wife has expressed the idea of having chickens for eggs etc. We have plenty of ground so that's not an issue. Although I wouldnt want them free roaming as such (dogs would get them) I would fence off an area specifically for them. My concern is that it may smell  ? confined to an area do they create a lot of <deleted> ? what do you do about that ?

How many chickens would produce 10 eggs a day ? I am guessing 12 

Would ducks be better ?

What to do and how best to do it would be nice to know.

Is it worth it ?

Thanks for any input.

Two other things you'll notice is that the yokes are more runny and once boiled the eggs are harder to peel, both of these are down to the eggs being fresh. 

You'll also belive that your eggs taste better than shop-bought... 

On a positive note though, at least your chickens will be happy and you'll know exactly what's being fed to them. 

Now, however, I've got no qualms eating chicken ????

Edited by MaiDong
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They do actually make very good pets

Yesterday on Thai News they had a piece about pets carrying the virus  Pigs,chickens and ducks are ok

cats and ferrets not so good..amazingly (according to the report) "fur-rets"   are the 3rd most popular Thai pet after cats and dogs !

vlcsnap-2020-04-11-15h32m09s312.png.5dc061a1a07a41de4384f7d1cf7024de.png

Agree with Crossy, the kids love chickens and ducks, they become tame very quickly.

The chickens will try and sit on your lap when you're in the garden, failing that they will sit all around you.

Dogs get used to them very quickly.

Ducks do much bigger wetter poops, and always on your doorstep and driveway (cos they love you).

• Like 1

Oh, and to dispel the myth, chooks do not need a rooster in order to lay eggs. Of course any eggs won't be fertilised and so would never hatch.

Our roo, "Bruiser" was a gift to my grand-daughter, he was one of three day-olds that had been dyed various colours and sold for a few Baht. I immediately said "they're all boys", only one survived and grew into the biggest white roo I've ever seen. He's getting a bit long in the tooth now, I'll miss him when he goes.

• Like 1

Was thinking to do this as well if having land in the future but when I found the work it takes, as well still needing to spend on protein feed etc, better deal to just buy big trays. So if you are doing it to have an additional hobby + cleaning work + potentially rats etc. it is worth it only.

Not easy to beat the 3 baht per egg price or making it significant enough to be worth it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If you get Chickens, you are Inevitable  going to attract vermin,

Rats and mice,I hate Rats,that's the only reason stopping me getting some.

regards worgeordie

I don't like rats either but that's not the reason I don't want them

In addition to all the positive comments posted above, two more points: the chicken droppings can be used as fertiliser and if you have a compost heap on your garden/land, they'll go into it and scratch around there, thus helping to break the material down into smaller pieces. 

• Like 1

Hens also require grit to help grind the food in the crop, they should find plenty if roaming, one cheap and easy way is to grind up your egg shells, and mix with the food,needless to say also helps them produce strong shells on the new eggs

It's really simple really.  First you get geese.   Geese are necessary to deal with the mice,  rat and snake problem you will be having.  Then you get yourself ducks.   With enough ducks you can make enough money selling duck eggs to feed the geese,  feed the chickens....and of course the ducks.  Now that you have the vermin problem solved and the cost of food covered it time to buy the chickens.   The best choice would be the well known Chinese porcelain variety.   Not good layers but on the plus side they never poop whete it's not wanted. Second choice, and cheaper, would be the Pattaya chicken.  They can be a bit noisy but not offensive unless it's right next to you. 

5c1c2d6707437b5bd1ce53d30f78f58f.jpg

23a00b3a855754e2690e317f3621bb1b.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Starting with chickens sounds like an exciting venture! Fencing off an area sounds like a good plan for their safety. As for the smell, proper coop maintenance can help keep things fresh. Regarding egg production, it can vary depending on factors like breed and age, but having around 12 chickens for 10 eggs a day sounds reasonable. Ducks could be an option too, depending on your preferences.

30 minutes ago, JacksRiVe said:

Starting with chickens sounds like an exciting venture! Fencing off an area sounds like a good plan for their safety. As for the smell, proper coop maintenance can help keep things fresh. Regarding egg production, it can vary depending on factors like breed and age, but having around 12 chickens for 10 eggs a day sounds reasonable. Ducks could be an option too, depending on your preferences.

You are replying to a 4 year old topic.

However, @CharlieH it would be interesting to receive an update about your venture into chicken raising.

On 4/22/2024 at 7:45 PM, JacksRiVe said:

If you're looking for more guidance, this FAQ page https://expertchicken.com/faq might have some helpful answers.

Edited by JacksRiVe