Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Mail is slow getting here now from the states. It can take 3 or 4 weeks for it to get here now according to posts in another topic.

I got a piece of first class mail yesterday (1 June) here to my Bangkok residence that was mailed from Wisconsin on 5 May....that works out to 27 days.

Talked again today to IRS. Seems the last man I talked to last week who noticed the mistake the IRS made, putting my file under the someone claimed you as a dependent code,  and was going to forward it up to be fixed, was not going to happen. This mistake was the computer seeing my social number claiming myself as a dependent, somehow listed twice,  which didn't happen. He said they aren't manually fixing files now so we will have to file next year, putting the mistake down as a credit so we can get our stimulus then. I haven't filled since 2016 so that means I'll have to, hoping since it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to,  they'll have somewhere to list this credit(mistake) on the form. I'm going to call weekly to ask if they have anyone to manually fix the files,because there isnt anyone doing this now, which means the computer would have to go over the mistakes and recognize it in order to adjust for it. 

Edited by fredwiggy
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Talked again today to IRS. Seems the last man I talked to last week who noticed the mistake the IRS made, putting my file under the someone claimed you as a dependent code,  and was going to forward it up to be fixed, was not going to happen. This mistake was the computer seeing my social number claiming myself as a dependent, somehow listed twice,  which didn't happen. He said they aren't manually fixing files now so we will have to file next year, putting the mistake down as a credit so we can get our stimulus then. I haven't filled since 2016 so that means I'll have to, hoping since it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to,  they'll have somewhere to list this credit(mistake) on the form. I'm going to call weekly to ask if they have anyone to manually fix the files,because there isnt anyone doing this now, which means the computer would have to go over the mistakes and recognize it in order to adjust for it. 

Sorry, I'm confused. How could you be claimed as dependent (yourself) when you didn't file? Maybe the last time you filed you used the same SS for yourself and your wife. Since they should be using the 2018 return and you were a non filer, this shouldn't happen.

4 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Sorry, I'm confused. How could you be claimed as dependent (yourself) when you didn't file? Maybe the last time you filed you used the same SS for yourself and your wife. Since they should be using the 2018 return and you were a non filer, this shouldn't happen.

I used the non filers site, as I haven't filed since 2016. I've never filed with my wife now. He said it looked like I checked the box "Can someone claim you as a dependent',or that somewhere my SS# was repeated,but it isn't. I did check the box, "Can someone claim my spouse as a dependent" , but that's not the issue here. It's about someone claiming me, and I can't claim myself. He said the computer saw my SS repeated, claiming myself, on his end, but I just again looked and the box is not checked can someone claim me as a dependent, so the computer made the error.

U.S. Treasury Press Release 3 Jun 2020

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1025

Treasury, IRS Announce Delivery of 159 Million Economic Impact Payments

June 3, 2020

WASHINGTON—The U.S. Department of the Treasury and IRS announced today that 159 million Economic Impact Payments, worth more than $267 billion, have been distributed to Americans in two months. Payments have been sent to all eligible Americans for whom the IRS has the necessary information to make a payment. These totals do not include the more than $2.5 billion that have been delivered to U.S. territories for payment to territory residents.

“The Trump Administration has delivered 159 million Economic Impact Payments worth more than $267 billion to Americans in record time,” said Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “These payments are an integral part of our commitment to providing much-needed relief to the American people during this unprecedented time.”

The last time a similar effort was undertaken, it took over two months to make 800,000 payments. Of the Economic Impact Payments, 120 million were sent to Americans by direct deposit, 35 million by check and 4 million payments were made in the form of a pre-paid debit card. For EIP figures, click here.

Even with these unprecedented efforts, there are eligible Americans who still did not yet receive their payments, and need to take action.

Individuals who do not normally file taxes and have not received my Economic Impact Payment.

Individuals who do not normally file taxes and have not yet received their Economic Impact Payment should use the Non-Filers Tool. Americans who did not file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 can submit basic personal information to the IRS so that they can receive payments. This tool will remain available until October 15 and anyone who registers by October 15 will receive their payment by the end of the year. The Non-Filers Tool can be found here.

Individuals who do file taxes, and believe they are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment, but haven’t received one.

Individuals who do file taxes, and believe they are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment, but haven’t received one will be able to claim their payment when they file their 2020 tax return. 

If you need the payment sooner, you may call the IRS Economic Impact Payment line at 800-919-9835. Call volumes are high, so call times may be longer than anticipated.

Individuals who think their Economic Impact Payment was incorrect.

Payment amounts vary based on income, filing status and family size. If you filed a 2019 tax return, the IRS used information from it about you, your spouse, your income, filing status and qualifying children to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. If you haven’t filed your 2019 return or it has not been processed yet, the IRS used the information from your 2018 return to calculate the amount and issue your Payment.

If you did not receive the full amount to which you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return. 

Individuals who have dependents and did not receive the $500 per dependent

If you did not receive the full amount for a dependent to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return. 

For more Information on the Economic Impact Payment, including answers to frequently asked questions and other resources, visit IRS.gov/coronavirus.

####

I get the impression from above press release that the U.S. Treasury is pretty much done in distributing stimulus payments...and IMO below paragraph beats around the bush in saying such.

Individuals who do file taxes, and believe they are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment, but haven’t received one.

Individuals who do file taxes, and believe they are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment, but haven’t received one will be able to claim their payment when they file their 2020 tax return. 

If you need the payment sooner, you may call the IRS Economic Impact Payment line at 800-919-9835. Call volumes are high, so call times may be longer than anticipated.

And unless wanting to wait to file a 2020 return in early 2021 to claim your stimulus payment "but you normally don't file a return as you are not required" then maybe it's time to use the Non-Fliers tool as talked below which is basically a special, super simple 2019 return, and will still be available for use until 15 Oct 2020.  Or, just file a regular 2019 return now.

Individuals who do not normally file taxes and have not received my Economic Impact Payment.

Individuals who do not normally file taxes and have not yet received their Economic Impact Payment should use the Non-Filers Tool. Americans who did not file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 can submit basic personal information to the IRS so that they can receive payments. This tool will remain available until October 15 and anyone who registers by October 15 will receive their payment by the end of the year. The Non-Filers Tool can be found here.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I used the non filers site, as I haven't filed since 2016. I've never filed with my wife now. He said it looked like I checked the box "Can someone claim you as a dependent',or that somewhere my SS# was repeated,but it isn't. I did check the box, "Can someone claim my spouse as a dependent" , but that's not the issue here. It's about someone claiming me, and I can't claim myself. He said the computer saw my SS repeated, claiming myself, on his end, but I just again looked and the box is not checked can someone claim me as a dependent, so the computer made the error.

Not to be augmentative, but assuming it's "not" a computer error, the three possible causes that come to my mind are:

- You did check the "Some can claim you as a dependent" by mistake.  Question: When using the Non Filers tool after you have submitted your return can you later check online to see what was submitted...or a person would have had to print a copy just before clicking the submit button.

-  Someone else has claimed you as a dependent without your knowledge.  I know in an earlier post your said the IRS rep didn't see any indication of that on your Non Filers return but maybe the rep really couldn't see any specifics if someone else had claimed you.

- If I remember right you used the Non-Filers tool to also claim the extra $500 for your child.  If so, could you have possibly entered your SSN instead of your child's in the Dependents area which would cause your SSN to show up twice....once as a filer and once as a dependent. 

But it sure sounds like filing a 2020 return in early 2021 may be your only option now to get the payment.  And if someone else did indeed claim you as a dependent without your knowledge and assuming they plan on doing it again on their 2020 return, unless you file in 2021 before they do then your return will possibly get bogged down as the IRS sends you and the other filer some notices asking for more info to determine if the other filer is authorized to claim you as a dependent.   

image.png.1c5cf9fa6c21125cc578dda8be1e730e.png

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

You cannot get a human being on the phone number shown. You just get a recorded message. 

image.png.889324223183cc450e60f0faa7b7e5e3.png

For those on SS  most of that contradicts what it says on the non filers site and instructions shown when you go to actually complete the form.

image.png.7fddb3cebcced06afb3b242edbdd7d51.png

• Like 1

Yeap....there is a contradiction...but the US Treasury press release is the latest general guidance (right or wrong). 

If it was me and "if unable to get an IRS rep on the phone" to see if there is a problem with your payment like fredwiggy is experiencing if 1 July arrived with the Get My Payment site still not reflecting a payment I would use the Non Filers tool.  I figure it couldn't hurt except maybe cause a little extra work for an IRS person.

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

If it was me and "if unable to get an IRS rep on the phone" to see if there is a problem with your payment like fredwiggy is experiencing if 1 July arrived with the Get My Payment site still not reflecting a payment I would use the Non Filers tool.  I figure it couldn't hurt except maybe cause a little extra work for an IRS person.

As I posted earlier I called them on May 21st and was told all was in order and to wait since the were still processing them for the SS recipients. 

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

As I posted earlier I called them on May 21st and was told all was in order and to wait since the were still processing them for the SS recipients. 

Does the Get My Payment site give you that message of they are still collecting your payment data or you are ineligible?  

Just wondering since so many news articles have reported most folks who draw SS payments but do not need to file a return have been paid.

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

Not to be augmentative, but assuming it's "not" a computer error, the three possible causes that come to my mind are:

- You did check the "Some can claim you as a dependent" by mistake.  Question: When using the Non Filers tool after you have submitted your return can you later check online to see what was submitted...or a person would have had to print a copy just before clicking the submit button.

-  Someone else has claimed you as a dependent without your knowledge.  I know in an earlier post your said the IRS rep didn't see any indication of that on your Non Filers return but maybe the rep really couldn't see any specifics if someone else had claimed you.

- If I remember right you used the Non-Filers tool to also claim the extra $500 for your child.  If so, could you have possibly entered your SSN instead of your child's in the Dependents area which would cause your SSN to show up twice....once as a filer and once as a dependent. 

But it sure sounds like filing a 2020 return in early 2021 may be your only option now to get the payment.  And if someone else did indeed claim you as a dependent without your knowledge and assuming they plan on doing it again on their 2020 return, unless you file in 2021 before they do then your return will possibly get bogged down as the IRS sends you and the other filer some notices asking for more info to determine if the other filer is authorized to claim you as a dependent.   

image.png.1c5cf9fa6c21125cc578dda8be1e730e.png

I checked can someone claim your wife, thinking, yes, if I wanted to ,I could claim my wife, but didn't. I filed single. I can look at the file anytime ,and it's still the same, like now, I did not check the box saying, "Can someone claim you as a dependent". The first man said it WAS a mistake IRS made, that there were no SS numbers attached to my file besides mine and my daughters. (My wife has neither a SS number or ITIN, and I've never filed with her). The only SS numbers on that form are mine after my name and my daughter's after her name in dependents. The man today said the form does not come up to them like we see it, and that my SS number was there that I claimed myself. The first man said nothing like that, that indeed no one claimed me. He looked at my form also and saw nothing wrong.  The second man today said the first man was misinformed, that they all  should have known that you can't forward the file to anyone because no one is working at the IRS  besides them. I waited a week for nothing.The IRS made the mistake and it's their deal to fix it, but since they don't have anyone now who can manually fix things, I have to file next year, Unless the IRS gets fully staffed and realizes this is a problem with a lot of people, like the man today said it was. I will call them every week until I get my stimulus. I could have not done anything and received the $1200, but we could use the extra $500 so I used the non filers form, which shouldn't have been put up because it's probably the reason a lot aren't getting paid. Leave it to the government.

Edited by fredwiggy
Just now, Pib said:

Does the Get My Payment site give you that message of they are still collecting your payment data or you are ineligible?  

Just wondering since so many news articles have reported most folks who draw SS payments but do not need to file a return have been paid.

That's still what I'm getting. I'm wondering what has happened to me might be the reason a lot aren't getting paid, that the non filers site is causing more problems than it's worth.

When I talked to them May 14 at (267 941 1000)  my check was sent out May 1 and I was told it would take 6 weeks to get to me, I will wait tell about 16 July to call them back IF I have not received it.

Edited by khwaibah
24 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just now same message I have been getting from day one.

image.png.b047fb8e60615573b93a2a1b660c5802.png

Just BS on their website. It says most had been paid by May 15.

I am not aware of anybody that has got one here. Nothing I can recall on this topic other those that filed or used the non filers site.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Have you seen any articles specifically mention overseas SS recipients?

I have assumed that SS recipients living overseas with an overseas address and overseas bank DD payments will be paid near last, in part because both the IRS and SSA have always made a fuss about overseas addresses, and  it requires the IRS to use SSA's payment information. I also worry about using the non-filers information form when it says not to.

Now that they say you can use it until October, I guess the best course is to wait a bit longer, especially with UbonJoe's feedback.

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

Have you seen any articles specifically mention overseas SS recipients?

I have assumed that SS recipients living overseas with an overseas address and overseas bank DD payments will be paid near last, in part because both the IRS and SSA have always made a fuss about overseas addresses, and  it requires the IRS to use SSA's payment information. I also worry about using the non-filers information form when it says not to.

Now that they say you can use it until October, I guess the best course is to wait a bit longer, especially with UbonJoe's feedback.

The only thing I've seen is earlier press releases saying around 800K overseas payments have been made....it didn't say if those payments were only to people who have filed 2019/2018 returns, includes SSA folks, etc.  

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I checked can someone claim your wife, thinking, yes, if I wanted to ,I could claim my wife, but didn't. I filed single. I can look at the file anytime ,and it's still the same, like now, I did not check the box saying, "Can someone claim you as a dependent". The first man said it WAS a mistake IRS made, that there were no SS numbers attached to my file besides mine and my daughters. (My wife has neither a SS number or ITIN, and I've never filed with her). The only SS numbers on that form are mine after my name and my daughter's after her name in dependents. The man today said the form does not come up to them like we see it, and that my SS number was there that I claimed myself. The first man said nothing like that, that indeed no one claimed me. He looked at my form also and saw nothing wrong.  The second man today said the first man was misinformed, that they all  should have known that you can't forward the file to anyone because no one is working at the IRS  besides them. I waited a week for nothing.The IRS made the mistake and it's their deal to fix it, but since they don't have anyone now who can manually fix things, I have to file next year, Unless the IRS gets fully staffed and realizes this is a problem with a lot of people, like the man today said it was. I will call them every week until I get my stimulus. I could have not done anything and received the $1200, but we could use the extra $500 so I used the non filers form, which shouldn't have been put up because it's probably the reason a lot aren't getting paid. Leave it to the government.

I wondering if by checking the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" and by selecting the Single filing status that has caused an error/jammed up your Non-Filers submission vs what the IRS rep has told you.

When the form asked if "Someone could claim your spouse as a dependent" they are not talking about "you" the primary filer; they are talking someone else.  

Plus, I'm assuming you did not enter the wife's name on the form.  A spouse can not be claimed as a dependent as a spouse earns separate tax deduction/exemption status from a dependent like a child, parent, etc., you support  

The Non-Filers form does not have a filing status of Married Filing Separately where you would enter the spouse name; it only has Single or Joint filing status where you name should be entered only or both joint return filers names, respectively.

Also, the Non Filers instructions says not to use the form if your were married at the end of 2019 and will not be submitting info on the form with the spouse.   See below.   Since you checked the block you have a spouse then that means you were married at the end of 2019 and shouldn't have used the form if indicating you had a spouse.   

Yea, I wondering if by checking that "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" along with your Single filing status generated an error....and only those Non Filers submissions which are error free get processed since the IRS rep said they don't have anyone to fix errors right now.

image.png.b9b74dd6884f0416ff80ae107d1d8228.png

IRS 3 June 2020 Press Release below....it's similar to the US Treasury 3 June 2020 press release several posts up.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/159-million-economic-impact-payments-processed-low-income-people-and-others-who-arent-required-to-file-tax-returns-can-quickly-register-for-payment-with-irs-non-filers-tool

159 million Economic Impact Payments processed; Low-income people and others who aren’t required to file tax returns can quickly register for payment with IRS Non-Filers tool

IR-2020-111, June 3, 2020

WASHINGTON — With 159 million Economic Impact Payments processed, the Internal Revenue Service reminds many low-income Americans who don't usually file tax returns to register for a payment by October 15.

Millions of low-income people and others who aren't required to file a tax return may be eligible for an Economic Impact Payment and can easily register for a payment by using the free Non-Filers tool, available only on IRS.gov.

"IRS employees worked around the clock to deliver the Economic Impact Payments and new tools to help taxpayers in record time," said IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. "Even with these unprecedented steps, there remain people eligible for these payments who need to take action. Registering to receive the payments is easy, and millions of non-filers have already taken this step. We urge everyone to share this information widely to help more people receive these payments."

In the past two months, more than 159 million Americans have received Economic Impact Payments totaling almost $267 billion. Of the payments, 120 million were sent to Americans by direct deposit, 35 million by check and 4 million payments were made in the form of a pre-paid debit card. This includes payments sent to those who usually do not have to file a tax return but receive retirement, survivor or disability benefits under various programs administered by the Social Security Administration as well as the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Railroad Retirement Board who qualify. These individuals can use Get My Payment to check on their payment status.

Non-Filers tool on IRS.gov helps millions; special feature remains available through October 15

To help people who aren't normally required to file a tax return, the IRS created the Non-Filers tool, available in English and Spanish, in partnership with the Free File Alliance. The Non-Filers tool is designed for people with incomes typically below $24,400 for married couples, and $12,200 for singles. This includes couples and individuals who are homeless. People can qualify, even if they do not have earned income or work. Usually, married couples qualify to receive a $2,400 payment while others normally qualify to get $1,200. People with qualifying children under 17 can get up to an additional $500 for each child. Anyone who already filed either a 2018 or 2019 return does not qualify to use this tool.

The Non-Filers tool will remain available through the summer and fall, though many eligible people without a filing obligation have already received an Economic Impact Payment. The IRS urges every other eligible non-filer to register soon to quickly receive their payment. Anyone who registers by October 15 will receive their payment by the end of the year.

To help reach these non-filers, over the next few months the IRS will be conducting an extensive outreach and education effort to partner groups who serve homeless individuals, underserved communities, limited English households and others. As part of this effort, the agency has created an Economic Impact Payment partner page, and materials are available in multiple languages.

The IRS cautions that some people who need to file a tax return have been mistakenly using the Non-Filers tool to try to get an Economic Impact Payment.

For more Information on the Economic Impact Payment, including answers to frequently-asked questions and other resources, visit IRS.gov/coronavirus.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 03-Jun-2020

• Like 1

3 June 2020 CBS News press release reporting/expanding on the 3 June IRS release.  Partial quote below....see weblink for full release.  Notice it says a rough calculation indicates maybe 9 million payments yet to go....that's CBS News estimate; not an IRS estimate.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stimulus-taxpayers-still-waiting-payments/

The IRS has sent about 159 million stimulus payments as of Wednesday, part of the government's efforts to help Americans weather the economic wallop of the coronavirus pandemic. But there are still Americans who haven't received their payments,  a Treasury Department spokesperson said on Wednesday.

While Treasury didn't have an estimate on the number of payments that are still pending, the IRS received about 153 million individual tax returns in 2018, the most recent data available. Another 15 million Americans aren't required to file taxes, such as seniors who rely on Social Security as the sole source of their income. A rough calculation means about 9 million people could still be waiting for their stimulus payments. 

Direct deposit to my Thai bank account 14 April 2020.  Letter from IRS arrived 4 June 2020.

Third person at my home - check arrived here in KK 4 June 2020.  Supposed to have been mailed 1 May.

Interested to hear from anyone who has been able to cash their check, what bank you used.   Or if not, what the bank(s) said.

Thanks

Terry

Edited by TerryLH
clarification
2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

When I talked to them May 14 at (267 941 1000)  my check was sent out May 1 and I was told it would take 6 weeks to get to me, I will wait tell about 16 July to call them back IF I have not received it.

me and my wife got ours I think the 2nd week of april this was direct deposit

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Pib said:

I get the impression from above press release that the U.S. Treasury is pretty much done in distributing stimulus payments...and IMO below paragraph beats around the bush in saying such.

And unless wanting to wait to file a 2020 return in early 2021 to claim your stimulus payment "but you normally don't file a return as you are not required" then maybe it's time to use the Non-Fliers tool as talked below which is basically a special, super simple 2019 return, and will still be available for use until 15 Oct 2020.  Or, just file a regular 2019 return now.

I would be fine with claiming it on my 2020 tax teturn, in fact had I been given a choice that would have been my preference and it in fact would give me money now as I have to make estimated tax payments each quarter abd coyld just reduce what I send -- same difference and a lot simpler than they s4nd me money and I turn around and send it back to them in the form of an estimated tax payment.

But this option was not offered and I also could not arrange direct deposit because the non filers tool can't be used if you filed taxes in 2018 or 2019. So now I am stuck with having had a check lailed that has not arrived and might never.

I teally can't understand why they could not arrange to let filers provide direct deposit info. Not everyone gets a tax refund and even those who do may apply it to the following year's taxes. I file ever year but never get a refund.  Usually have to pay a little, occasionally there is a slight overpayment in which case I apply it to the following years tax and adjust my estimated payments accordingly.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pib said:

I wondering if by checking the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" and by selecting the Single filing status that has caused an error/jammed up your Non-Filers submission vs what the IRS rep has told you.

When the form asked if "Someone could claim your spouse as a dependent" they are not talking about "you" the primary filer; they are talking someone else.  

Plus, I'm assuming you did not enter the wife's name on the form.  A spouse can not be claimed as a dependent as a spouse earns separate tax deduction/exemption status from a dependent like a child, parent, etc., you support  

The Non-Filers form does not have a filing status of Married Filing Separately where you would enter the spouse name; it only has Single or Joint filing status where you name should be entered only or both joint return filers names, respectively.

Also, the Non Filers instructions says not to use the form if your were married at the end of 2019 and will not be submitting info on the form with the spouse.   See below.   Since you checked the block you have a spouse then that means you were married at the end of 2019 and shouldn't have used the form if indicating you had a spouse.   

Yea, I wondering if by checking that "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" along with your Single filing status generated an error....and only those Non Filers submissions which are error free get processed since the IRS rep said they don't have anyone to fix errors right now.

image.png.b9b74dd6884f0416ff80ae107d1d8228.png

I didn't put my wife's name on the form but yes, they see that I was married because I checked that box, but I had to use the form to put my dependent daughter on it so I could get the extra $500. I believe I checked that box by accident and didn't notice it when I sent it along. If I would have just done nothing, I would have received the $1200 already I assume.Now I have to wait until next year's filing unless they fix the errors manually.

Edited by fredwiggy
10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would be fine with claiming it on my 2020 tax teturn, in fact had I been given a choice that would have been my preference and it in fact would give me money now as I have to make estimated tax payments each quarter abd coyld just reduce what I send -- same difference and a lot simpler than they s4nd me money and I turn around and send it back to them in the form of an estimated tax payment.

Sheryl,

Just out of curiosity how do you pay those quarterly payments?  Do you pay by electronic means maybe where you authorize the IRS "to debit" your US bank acct which means you provided them your bank acct routing number & acct number.  OR you "push" an electronic payment to the IRS from your bank acct.  OR you mail them a snail mail paper check.  OR ?????   

From some googling I saw there are various ways to pay as described on the 1040ES instructions.   

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

If by chance you pay via electronic means using your US bank routing number/acct number where the IRS "pulls" the payment from your acct because you authorize to do so, then they already have your bank acct info.  But maybe such info just can't be used for stimulus payments because the IRS don't want to use that info for some reason(s).   

Many aspects of the stimulus payment/data collection process just make me scratch my head in wondering why the IRS does things in a certain way.  But I expect due to the complexity of the US tax system/laws/regulations the IRS does have a reason (good or bad) for every thing that can appear strange and/or stupid to us taxpayers. 

image.png.ff5daf7faa6600523f720f2077179e6e.png

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

Sheryl,

Just out of curiosity how do you pay those quarterly payments?  Do you pay by electronic means maybe where you authorize the IRS "to debit" your US bank acct which means you provided them your bank acct routing number & acct number.  OR you "push" an electronic payment to the IRS from your bank acct.  OR you mail them a snail mail paper check.  OR ?????   

From some googling I saw there are various ways to pay as described on the 1040ES instructions.   

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

If by chance you pay via electronic means using your US bank routing number/acct number where the IRS "pulls" the payment from your acct because you authorize to do so, then they already have your bank acct info.  But maybe such info just can't be used for stimulus payments because the IRS don't want to use that info for some reason(s).   

Many aspects of the stimulus payment/data collection process just make me scratch my head in wondering why the IRS does things in a certain way.  But I expect due to the complexity of the US tax system/laws/regulations the IRS does have a reason (good or bad) for every thing that can appear strange and/or stupid to us taxpayers. 

image.png.ff5daf7faa6600523f720f2077179e6e.png

I do it the first way using IRS site. But it does not save bank details, says so when you do it. And each time I have to re-enter the bank details.

What I fail to understand is why they did not enable provision of direct deposit info online for everyone.