Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

Just now, checkered flag said:

If you are expecting SS to act expedicially,they wont. Last year with a normal volume it took me >2 months to change my address to Thailand and another >2 months to get IDD set up. It eventually worked but very slowly. Since the problem is primarily with non tax filers on SS ,the ball is probably in their court to establish eligibility. The IRS seems efficient and has the correct information. I filed taxes in 2018 and 2019 and received my Trump stimulus on April 15th. 

I suggest a little patience to let it happen. After all it's an unexpected gift to help those out affected by the shutdowns.

They put the non filers site up so it could be easier. What is easier than getting your direct deposit information directly from Social Security and sending it out electronically?

45 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

They put the non filers site up so it could be easier. What is easier than getting your direct deposit information directly from Social Security and sending it out electronically?

Nothing is easy when dealling with SocSec. That was my point. The >2months to change address plus >2 months to set up IDD is an example. SocSec in US is also bad. After waiting for an appointment, the time they gave was on a Wednesday afternoon when they were closed. Like you said it should be easy but isn't. People complain about inefficiencies in Thailand, but SocSec wins the prize. But I need to say, once done if works good. Patience or you'll have a MI.

Edited by checkered flag
  • Like 1

And I must add, the first woman I talked to gave me the 800 number, although I told her you just receive a message, and all she said is that's what we're supposed to call. I called back and got a man who was very helpful and is the one that's forwarding my information on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Very important!  Talked to IRS on that number(not 800) Man looked up my info Seems I was rejected because the code said someone claimed me on their taxes. Impossible, so he researched. Found out through mine and my daughters SS numbers NO one claimed me, it was a mistake made by system He is forwarding this information up to someone who can see it was a mistake so I can get my stimulus, as I'm eligible I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to He said he will ask them to further check into this possible glitch. 

Hopefully the IRS will not find anyone actually claiming you as a dependent and issue you a check.  Or, they may end up telling you that you will need to file a 2020 return in 2021 to claim your stimulus payment.   

See below website talking the issue...and partial quote from it.  The website uses the example of a family member claiming one of their parents as an example...and I'm not implying your daughter claimed you...just happens to be the example given at below website.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-it-too-late-to-receive-a-stimulus-check-my-daughter-claimed-me-as-a-dependent-in-2019-if-not-when-will-my-check-arrive-will-it-be-garnished-to-pay-my-debts-2020-05-04

Dear Moneyist,

‘I have a very low income, and yet I did not receive a $1,200 stimulus check. My daughter recently moved out of town, but claimed me as a dependent on her 2019 tax form. I am 61 years of age. She won’t be claiming me as a dependent on her 2020 filing.

Will I be able to receive my stimulus check under the CARES Act and, if so, will my check still be offset? Is that cheating the Internal Revenue Service? I also have debts. Will they be garnished? If I can qualify this year, when will I get my check?

Frustrated

Dear Frustrated,

The stimulus check is an advance payment of a refundable credit on your 2020 return.

If your daughter does not claim you as a dependent in 2020 and you have no other children who are claiming you as a dependent, neither you or your daughter will be cheating the Internal Revenue Service. You should receive your $1,200 stimulus check if you file a 2019 return but, assuming it’s too late for your daughter to update her 2019 tax return, you won’t receive it until 2021. You will have to file a return. The checks are based on your 2020 tax returns, but the IRS uses 2018 returns for those who have not filed in 2019 and will use 2019 returns for those who have filed this year.

Just now, Pib said:

Hopefully the IRS will not find anyone actually claiming you as a dependent and issue you a check.  Or, they may end up telling you that you will need to file a 2020 return in 2021 to claim your stimulus payment.   

See below website talking the issue...and partial quote from it.  The website uses the example of a family member claiming one of their parents as an example...and I'm not implying your daughter claimed you...just happens to be the example given at below website.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-it-too-late-to-receive-a-stimulus-check-my-daughter-claimed-me-as-a-dependent-in-2019-if-not-when-will-my-check-arrive-will-it-be-garnished-to-pay-my-debts-2020-05-04

If my daughter claimed me I'd be very surprised as she's 3. No, he told me he checked it and it was a mistake, when they looked up our socials, it came back nothing was attached to them, so it was a glitch. He admitted it was an IRS mistake, and that's why he's forwarding the information up. He knows I don't file anymore as I receive SS, and said that shouldn't be a problem, I won't need to file.

Edited by fredwiggy
36 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

And I must add, the first woman I talked to gave me the 800 number, although I told her you just receive a message, and all she said is that's what we're supposed to call.

I had about the same experience this morning when I called. The lady I got did not seem to have a clue about what I was talking about. She even told me to contact the SSA. Finally she gave me the 800 number to call that of course does not work at this time.

I finally gave up since my patience was completely exhausted by then so I did not try calling back.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I had about the same experience this morning when I called. The lady I got did not seem to have a clue about what I was talking about. She even told me to contact the SSA. Finally she gave me the 800 number to call that of course does not work at this time.

I finally gave up since my patience was completely exhausted by then so I did not try calling back.

I called through messenger with my daughter, who dialed the numbers on her husband's phone. The first lady was adamant that the 800 number was the number to call, even while I was trying to explain to her that people here aren't getting any answers listening to a message that directs you to the website that doesn't give you any answers, so I called the number back, after we tried the 800 number and got the message, and the next man was the one who helped me, keeping me on the line until he got my Thai phone number and email address, so the IRS can contact me if need be, They don't need to do anything but see that is was their mistake and I should be receiving something as soon as the problem is fixed.

• Like 1

Interesting about "if you are being claimed as a dependent" on some one else's return....when you file a return if such is happening the IRS will reject your return and notify you of the problem.  See below weblink/partial quote.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/out-someone-claimed-dependent-taxes-26246.html

File your income taxes electronically. If someone claimed you on their income taxes, the IRS will reject your return. When you electronically file your income tax return, a computer scans each Social Security number on the return. If your Social Security number matches that on another person's return, the IRS rejects your return.

File your income taxes through the mail. The IRS will realize the problem and begin an investigation. You should receive a letter in the mail requesting additional information, if required. Sometimes, the problem can be as simple as a typographical error. If someone did claim you as a dependent and you're entitled to the exemption, the IRS will resolve the issue.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Interesting about "if you are being claimed as a dependent" on some one else's return....when you file a return if such is happening the IRS will reject your return and notify you of the problem.  See below weblink/partial quote.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/out-someone-claimed-dependent-taxes-26246.html

He said I was rejected because someone claimed me as a dependent. I think yes, I should have been notified, seeing I didn't file a return but filed on non filers and get SS.  In effect, I guess you can still call that a return of sorts, and why I was rejected for the stimulus. How it came up with that code is anyone's guess, and I think someone's mistake. Like I added, he did check it and see that both mine and my daughters SS numbers are on what I filed and no one else's returns. I hope I get my stimulus now, as soon as they fix the problem, and maybe it will help others who might have the same problem from the "glitch" in their system.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

Sheryl - My check was mailed on 1-May and I have not received it yet.  I am waiting for June 1 then will call the numbers denoted in the forum.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Has there been a single report of someone whose check was mailed to Thailand receiving it?

Mine was supposedly mailed on 1 May.

The exact same for me and nothing yet. I will post when I get the check.

• Like 1

"He said I was rejected because someone claimed me as a dependent. . . How it came up with that code is anyone's guess, and I think someone's mistake."

I'd follow up on this with the IRS. It's possible someone used your SSN and it wasn't a mistake. I think Americans who live overseas are more vulnerable to identity fraud because they're less likely to learn about it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, taxout said:

"He said I was rejected because someone claimed me as a dependent. . . How it came up with that code is anyone's guess, and I think someone's mistake."

I'd follow up on this with the IRS. It's possible someone used your SSN and it wasn't a mistake. I think Americans who live overseas are more vulnerable to identity fraud because they're less likely to learn about it.

No, like I posted, it was a mistake on their end. The man from IRS couldn't fix it himself so he forwarded it to someone that will see their mistake and fix it, and I should get the stimulus then

• Like 1
On 5/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

Called again and after being put on hold for a long time and for all intents and purposes got no new info other than they were still working on doing them.

After giving a bunch of info after giving a bunch of info was told I had to just wait until something was done.

At least it only cost 42 cents on Skype.

• Like 2

I'm back in the US now.  I'm a non-filer who has received my monthly SSA payments deposited into my BB account via New York since 2007.  I now have then deposited in my bank account here, the first being last month.  My 2019 SSA 1099 form has my Thai address.  I have not received a direct deposit in my still active BBL account or a check via mail to my still active Thai Address.  I have not received a direct deposit to my US bank account or a check via mail here.  I registered my new bank account info on the IRS website and I get the "information not Available" message on the Get My Payment site.  I've called many numbers posted here and as everybody else just got the run around.  Whether or not you're in Thailand makes no difference.  My roommate received hers on the 15th of April but she has lived here for a long time and filed 2018 and 2019 taxes.  Maybe it will show up but I'm beginning to doubt it.

• Thanks 2

Another week, another update.  I was able to enter my direct deposit on the Get My Payment site on May 8, and it told me when I will receive confirmation of when it would be deposited.  Next couple days, I check again, and it says I will now get a check mailed to the address on file on May 15.  I haven't seen a direct deposit yet, so it looks like the IRS has definitely changed their mind about direct deposit for me and are sending me a check to my Thai address.  I'll let you all know if I get it for those who are in the same situation as me.

Filed married joint and owed taxes, living here in Thailand w/ my American wife and kid.

Edited by SilverBlue
  • Confused 1

Latest tally of stimulus payments. First link is the 22 May IRS press release....2nd link is a Forbes 22 May press release putting the IRS release in layman's language with additional info.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-irs-release-latest-state-by-state-economic-impact-payment-figures-for-may-22-2020

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2020/05/22/irs-sent-22-million-stimulus-checks-worth-57-billion-in-past-two-weeks-257-billion-disbursed-so-far/#76109dfc155c

Nice charts but they don't give any encouraging information to any income tax non-filers for 2018 or 2019 who have not received the stimulus payment either by check or direct deposit.  Does anyone know any non-filer that has received a payment in any country in any form?  I'm currently in the US and I don't know anybody that has.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:32 PM, SilverBlue said:

says I will now get a check mailed to the address on file on May 15.

Moi exactly same. May 15 mail date and no deposit to my US credit union yet. My address on file is here in Bkk so the check must be in a mail carriage at the back of a horse on its way to to the nearest port.

If it arrives before Christmas I'll gift everyone in this thread a little made-in-China Covid memento.

• Like 1

When I filled in the form for non-filers which was supposedly not required if I am receiving monthly SSA payments I got the following message: "Congratulations, the IRS has accepted your return. The IRS will process this information and determine your eligibility for the Economic Impact Payment. No further action is necessary."  Still nothing either by mail or bank deposit to either my old address & account inn n Thailand (on the 2019 SSA 1099 form) or the new address and bank account info both changed with SSA and updated on the Non-filers website."

Yesterday I received a letter from IRS, saying I had been paid $2400 via direct deposit on April 15th. That's correct and it went into my account. The letter date was April 15th and was signed by Donald Trump. 

So the letter took just over a month to reach Thailand and they will mail a confirmation. 

This was faster than recent US mail so the mail might be getting better.