Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

On 6/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, Pib said:

Years back when opening a new US bank acct one of the steps was uploading an image of my passport main page and it had to be done via smartphone.  The bank sent a weblink, click on that link, and it started up my phone camera.  Take a picture and the bank system would immediately start to upload and process that image....if acceptable you got a confirmation within 15 seconds.  If not start over...you had three tries. 

Well, even though the image looked clear as a bell to me when the bank computer system tried to read the info from the image apparently it was not good enough.  I was doing this at night....under "florescent" room ceiling lights.    I had to call the bank....tell them the problem....they sent me another link which would give me three more tries...and the rep stayed online to assist and view the images uploaded....but the rep was clear even if the image looked clear as a bell on her and my ends it was the  bank computer that had to bless the image....be able to read/scan/process the info from the image....the rep could not override that process.

On the first try it failed again....but the rep said the image was clear on her end....but the computer still didn't like it for some reason. 

So, I put the passport under an "incandescent bulb light"....you know, the old style screw in bulb.  Tried again...and this time the computer accepted the image although the image on my phone screen and the reps end still looked the same as the images that failed....failed images taken under a "florescent" light.

I guess what I'm saying what the human eyes sees as a clear image may not be clear to the electronic sensors/scanner trying to read info off that image.   Best to use "real daylight" if possible.   If not possible try incandescent bulb light...LED light may be as good.

Well I tried under a variety of lights and aldo out on direct sunshine at high noon. Still no luck.

So now have it mail it EMS to my bank in the US. 

If only they would have let me enter my direct deposit info!!!

I apologize if this has already been answered; but I could not find an answer after sifting through at least 20 pages of this thread, beginning back in mid-May. I understand that we might have to wait up to 9 weeks to receive our checks from the time they were issued and I confirmed on the IRS "Get My Payment" website that my check went out the 2nd week in May. But I also read on more than one website that if you already received your letter from Donald Trump (telling you how much $$$ you should be getting), that you should have already received your check, as the Trump letter was supposedly mailed after the check was mailed as more of a confirmation. I received my Trump letter with no check or debit card last week; it did not look like it had been opened or tampered with. Did anyone else receive his or her letter and then receive their check afterwards? Anyone still waiting for their check after getting the Trump letter?

Unlike, many on this thread, I still file my taxes every year and do not receive SS or VA payments. This should just be a straightforward transaction of receiving my stimulus check via snail mail to my Thai address which is obviously on file correctly with the IRS. I just cannot understand how the one (2nd sent?) letter would make it here already while the first letter with the check in it didn't, unless someone in country stole this letter somewhere in the LOS en route to my house! ???? 

My update:

•  I'm one of those people who don't file taxes (since 2016) and receive my retirement check through Bangkok Bank.
  • Get My Payment still shows the same thing which is basically nothing.
  • I read in the Washington Post yesterday that many Americans living overseas and collecting SS, still have not received anything.
  • My plan of attack is to just keep waiting. Personally, I will be surprised if it ever arrives.
  • #OldFartsMatter
  • Like 2

I live overseas in Thailand and received my Stimulus deposited in my American bank.

Gov't has your social security number.

Maybe your not entitled to the money if you owe any unpaid taxes on money you might have earned and not declared.

Just an opinion ( interest or dividend income)

Edited by marvin1950
additional
56 minutes ago, missoura said:
  • I'm one of those people who don't file taxes (since 2016) and receive my retirement check through Bangkok Bank.

I was getting that all the time so I used the non filers site to speed things up last week after finding new info that I should do it if I had not gotten it yet. I used the Bangkok Bank branch New York's routing number (0 2 6 0 0 8 6 9 1) and my direct deposit account number.

Go here and complete the form for non filers. https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

After completing it you can download a copy for your records. It will be a almost completely blank 1040 form.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

I live overseas in Thailand and received my Stimulus deposited in my American bank.

Gov't has your social security number.

You probably filed a tax return. 

For those of us that only get SSA payments it is a different story. We have been waiting for our stimulus payments for a long time.

• Thanks 1

I am thinking, considering the innumerable inefficiencies of our American bureaucracy, it is possible that the confirmation Trump letter could have been sent out from a different place/region in the US than the actual check, resulting in it making it overseas sooner than the actual payment. Does anyone know if this is the case? 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You probably filed a tax return. 

For those of us that only get SSA payments it is a different story. We have been waiting for our stimulus payments for a long time.

Joe, did you ever talk to someone on the phone and get an answer? I of course was told they made a mistake, putting me down as claiming myself as a dependent. I don't know how the computer did this, but it did, and now I have to wait until next year to file and get a credit for the stimulus, or see if my tax preparer can file an amended form for me and see if it overrides the previous one. The man I talked to said they aren't making any manual changes now so I'll probably have to wait until next year. I'm wondering if this may have happened to you or others here, as he said it's not the only time it happened (concerning me)

29 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Yes, a few people have but only those who have paid taxes. I'm guessing that you are one of those. As far as I know. there is no one in Thailand who receives SS and does not need to file taxes that has received a stimulus check.

33 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Maybe your not entitled to the money

I should be as I don't owe anyone anything. But with the IRS one never really knows. Maybe they dug up something from decades ago.

It's always surprising when expat issues are covered at all in the U.S. press and in this case in one of the great papers of record The Washington Post. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/15/retirees-living-abroad-still-waiting-their-stimulus-payments/

___

Retirees living abroad still waiting for their stimulus payments

U.S. citizens living outside the country are eligible for a stimulus payment if they have a Social Security number and can’t be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer — but the payment process is slow

___

Most of this is not new to us though. 

In my case I did get the online info that a paper check was going to be sent to Thailand. 

But nothing yet. Not the initial letter or the check. 

If you get the letter and not the check apparently you can complain but if you get nothing then nothing to do about it at least for now. 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Joe, did you ever talk to someone on the phone and get an answer?

I did that a few weeks ago and was told everything was ok and was told to just wait for it since they were still processing them.

9 minutes ago, Isaanman said:

I am thinking, considering the innumerable inefficiencies of our American bureaucracy, it is possible that the confirmation Trump letter could have been sent out from a different place/region in the US than the actual check, resulting in it making it overseas sooner than the actual payment. Does anyone know if this is the case? 

I recall reports of people getting their letter before the check somewhere in this topic.

8 hours ago, Isaanman said:

But I also read on more than one website that if you already received your letter from Donald Trump (telling you how much $$$ you should be getting), that you should have already received your check, as the Trump letter was supposedly mailed after the check was mailed as more of a confirmation. I received my Trump letter with no check or debit card last week; it did not look like it had been opened or tampered with. Did anyone else receive his or her letter and then receive their check afterwards?

I never got the Trump Letter but received a check last week. The check was dated 5/22. It was misdirected to Taiwan first for some crazy reason.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, phkauf said:

I never got the Trump Letter but received a check last week. The check was dated 5/22. It was misdirected to Taiwan first for some crazy reason.

Glade you received your check, I'm still waiting on mine mailed out May 1. The misdirect bit I question. Eva Air is one of the few airline that fly into and out of the America they are based out of Taiwan. They have been used by the Thai Government for repatriation of Thais back to Bangkok. I have very little doubt that most of the delays is the checks are in Taiwan waiting for space on another flight to Bangkok.

4 hours ago, missoura said:

My update:

•  I'm one of those people who don't file taxes (since 2016) and receive my retirement check through Bangkok Bank.
  • I read in the Washington Post yesterday that many Americans living overseas and collecting SS, still have not received anything.
  • My plan of attack is to just keep waiting. Personally, I will be surprised if it ever arrives.
  • #OldFartsMatter

Well, don't keep waiting took much longer...say to mid July.   I say that because although the IRS has said folks who haven't been filing returns but draw SS benefits don't have to do anything to get their stimulus payment, that IRS tone has changed over the last week or so like I discussed in my below 10 June/#1154 post.

And at the bottom is a youtube video (a little over 6 minutes long) by a CPA who has been doing frequent stimulus payment updates.  Yea, I know, about a zillion folks are posting youtube stimulus payment videos with many being being garbage/repeating info most everyone already knows, but this CPA's youtube videos are quality info.  This particular video addresses people whose payment was supposedly made, you got the Trump letter, but haven't got the payment yet....and also those people who haven't got the Trump letter or payment and the Get My Payment site basically doesn't tell you anything other than they are still collecting info for your payment or you may not be eligible.  Some good advice in this short video.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was getting that all the time so I used the non filers site to speed things up last week after finding new info that I should do it if I had not gotten it yet. I used the Bangkok Bank branch New York's routing number (0 2 6 0 0 8 6 9 1) and my direct deposit account number.

Go here and complete the form for non filers. https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

After completing it you can download a copy for your records. It will be a almost completely blank 1040 form.

I', a non-filer. I moved back to the US on the 28th of March.  I managed to open a bank account and registered the new address and bank tracking info with the SSA, until then it was BBL.  I wasted like everybody else and got nothing and the usual message on GET MY PAYMENT.  So, I registered mu new information on the IRS website and got the message that it had been accepted on May 8.  I finally received the $1200 deposited into my account here on Wednesday, 10 June/  So it took 32 days from the time that I received the message until the money was deposited.  It seems the other than pension payments the US government deposits are on Wednesday.

As I stated earlier, I received the Trump letter 3 weeks ago, but I did not receive my check yet which was scheduled to be mailed out on May 1st.

I am convinced it is lost, but I have to wait until the 9 weeks is up for overseas mail in order to request a replacement check.

I am not happy at all and hate to go thru the replacement process, but no choice.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to UbonJoe, Pib, and many others for keeping this thread going with relevant content ! If you have received your payment, I'm happy for you ????

I am a non-filer, in Chiang Mai, receiving SS direct deposit to Bkk bank for several years. I have received no letter, or check.

I've tried to fill out the Non-Filers form several times without success: there is a section where you select from W2, 1099, etc.: I've never filed any of those. I can never get past "Step 2." I use the Bkk Bank routing number described here, and the account number in the blue passbook issued here in Chiang Mai

I also note the landing page for the Non-Filers form states not to use the Form if:

"You receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Veterans Affairs benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment."

The video posted by Khun P1b was informative, but, there was no mention of folks on SS, let alone expats.

I've tried the IRS toll-free line mentioned here several times: there are no combinations of choices on the initial voice recorded screening steps that got me to a waiting queue for an agent.

Any ideas, or advice, appreciated !

Jorge Borges: "In the River of Delights, Panic has not failed me." 

~o:37;

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, orang37 said:

I've tried to fill out the Non-Filers form several times without success: there is a section where you select from W2, 1099, etc.: I've never filed any of those. I can never get past "Step 2." I use the Bkk Bank routing number described here, and the account number in the blue passbook issued here in Chiang Mai

This link takes you directly to the form you need to complete. https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

It does not mention any additional forms on it.

The end result is a almost blank 1040 form with you name, SSN, address and bank info on it.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This link takes you directly to the form you need to complete.

Below is what the link looks like and this is where I get confused. I think what ubonjoe and Pib are saying makes sense. On the other hand, my life experience has shown time and time again that when I ignored the NOT; it never ends well. 

SS stimulus.png

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, missoura said:

Below is what the link looks like and this is where I get confused. I think what ubonjoe and Pib are saying makes sense. On the other hand, my life experience has shown time and time again that when I ignored the NOT; it never ends well. 

That have not changed this line after the IRS changed their website on the 10th.

image.png.d20f1ffffa86478a8ef4ce8f41932c05.png

This is what they changed.

image.png.f4a98bdb8a3da6296f7f7e006e158322.png

That is why I decided to do the non filers form.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, orang37 said:

The video posted by Khun P1b was informative, but, there was no mention of folks on SS, let alone expats.

The Non-filers form does "not" ask or provide any ability to provide W-2 input or any other tax form.  I'm thinking you started a regular Free File acct and not a Non-Filers Free File acct.   A regular Free File acct would be if you are going to file a regular 2019 return and I expect it would offer a large array of forms entries like W-2 entries.. 

As provided in earlier posts, to use the Non-filers tool/form start at below link.  Disregard the statement about SS folks should not use the form....that issue was also discussed in earlier posts....reread the earlier posts.    

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/economicimpactpayment

Now if you did already created a Free File acct you might not be able to use the same User ID, email address to create another Free File acct for the Non-filers submission as it would be a duplicate acct.  You might need to create a new acct which might require a different email address and/or User ID....but creating a new email address is a piece of cake like a google/gmail email.   Just be sure you are starting the process from a Non-filers weblink.

But once you create a Non-filer acct and logon below is the very top part of the screen/form you will be immediately taken to. Really, really  basic info....no W-2 form entries, etc.   The only form is a basic form where you enter name, SSN, address, bank info, etc.....really, really basic. Then step 2 is a short efile form.   Takes just a few minutes to complete the whole thing.  

image.png.09bd9150b197e5bc5be40bcace42f5c2.png

Regarding the video it focused towards "all folks/groups" who have not received a stimulus payment...and yes it does specifically address people on SS starting at the 4 min 30 sec point.  Take another view.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, missoura said:

This link takes you directly to the form you need to complete.

I filled out this form and was accepted on May 18, 2020. I received this when I check E-File Status.

Return Accepted

Congratulations, the IRS has accepted your return.

The IRS will process this information and determine your eligibility for the Economic Impact Payment.

No further action is necessary.

If you haven't already, it's always a good idea to print a copy of your return for your records. Note: If you print your return, you'll see $1 values added to some fields. This is a requirement for the IRS to process your submission. You can ignore these amounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

I filled out this form and was accepted on May 18, 2020. I received this when I check E-File Status.

You can also check its status by going to the get my return status. https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

It will show if has been received and approved or not.

You can also go onto the get my payment site for info. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

• Like 1

Hellileu-jah !

With your guidance, I was able to steer my hypothyroidicial disintegrating raft of a brain into the harbor of FreeFallibleForms and, in spite of smashing into the dock, knocking a moo kata vendor into the shark-filled waters ...

I did, indeed, submit the requisite mantras and gematria-encoded numbers to the Matrix, and, have received a message the return was accepted by Mr. Smith.

This calls for another quote from Borges:

"I speak in a poem of the ancient food of heroes: humiliation, unhappiness, discord. Those things are given to us to transform, so that we may make from the miserable circumstances of our lives things that are eternal, or aspire to be so."

cheers, ~o:37;

48 minutes ago, missoura said:

Well, I pulled the trigger and signed up using the non-filer form. Even though the site says it takes a couple of day or so for the IRS to confirm, I received a reply shortly thereafter. Now, I'm back to waiting...

SS stimulus 3.png

And as posted earlier you can start checking the "Where Is My Refund" site to get another confirmation the IRS has accepted/received your Non-Filer return.   It may show already, but since the site only updates once a day it may not show until tomorrow afternoon.  For the refund amount enter 1 dollar; not whatever your stimulus payment is suppose to be.  

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to read "where is my stimulus payment" type posts take a look at the various topics/posts in below reddit area.  Many, many posts on the subject...many hot-off-the-press...some several months old.  Quite a few posts where people have used the Non-filers tool and how long they had to wait....many of which are still waiting for a payment status....some just now getting a payment status....etc.  You will also see posts describing why a person is not getting a stimulus payment, l...o.....n......g wait times when calling the IRS, just all kinds of "where is my stimulus payment" short stories.   Really quite informative when sifting through the many posts.    

https://www.reddit.com/r/stimuluscheck/

• Thanks 1

link to get my payment help page:

Depending on your specific circumstances, it may not be possible for you to access Get My Payment.

If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool: 

• Get My Payment will display your Payment Status and details within two weeks. Until your payment is scheduled, you will receive a “Payment Status Not Available” message.

If you receive Supplementary Security Income (SSI), Survivor or Disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits or Department of Veterans Affairs benefits  and did not file a return or use the Non-Filer tool:

• Get My Payment will display your Payment Status and details once it has been scheduled for delivery. Until then, you will receive a “Payment Status Not Available” message.
  • You will not be able to use Get My Payment to provide your bank account information. The IRS will use the information from SSA or VA to generate your payment.
  • You will receive your payment as a direct deposit or by mail, just as you would normally receive your benefits. For example, if your benefits are currently deposited to a Direct Express card, your EIP will also be deposited to that card. If your benefits are currently deposited to your bank account, your EIP will also be deposited to that account. 

my status, as I mentioned, as of 2 days ago, is: non-filer site used successfully, and IRS confirms accepted by e-mail.

my interpretation of the information above is that it will be 2 weeks before the GetMyPayment site is going to show any results. hypothesis: I may not get a direct deposit until July ?

thanks, ~o:37;

36 minutes ago, orang37 said:

link to get my payment help page:

my status, as I mentioned, as of 2 days ago, is: non-filer site used successfully, and IRS confirms accepted by e-mail.

my interpretation of the information above is that it will be 2 weeks before the GetMyPayment site is going to show any results. hypothesis: I may not get a direct deposit until July ?

thanks, ~o:37;

I entered my US bank account information into the IRS website and got conformation by email that it was accepted on 8 May. Over the next couple of weeks I check the Get My Payment website and got the message that no information was available and gave up until I checked it again on 5 June and got the message that the payment would be deposited into the account that I registered with the IRS, not my Thai bank account where I had previously been receiving my monthly payments, on 10 June.  The $1200 was deposited into that bank account on 10 June.  Good luck!!

• Like 2