In grim milestone, United States logs world's highest coronavirus death toll

rooster59

7 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Fortunately there will be a final tally and that should put to rest arguments about who did better than whom.

By “tally” if you mean a head count of the dead, those true figures will never be known. 

Many question Thailand’s numbers and the Chinese are hardly honourable.

The charts shown already in this thread point to America faring better than most nations on a pro rata system. 

China remain the big winners if there are to be any winners.

Their rivals in the west receiving unsurmountable damage to economies and standards of living for some time to come. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Would you like extra greese with that fish n chips, how bout a deep fried baloney or pork pie deep fried in the tin? Yum. 

For healthy people comparison walk a day around a quaint beach town like Blackpool then fly to San Diego and do the same thing.

sounds like an expensive way to form a comparison  .    tell me,  is Blackpool a "healthy" place?

I  aven't a clue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The more cynical side to me keeps adding

”to his re-election campaign”

to that final sentence. 

I’m sure I’m wrong, no one, not even trump, is that narcissistic...though my cynical side has a view on that as well. 

don't lose that cynicism .    your gut might be a lot smarter than you give it credit for  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, doctormann said:

Nice, bracing sea breezes off the irish Sea.  Healthy - maybe.  Quaint - nope!

haha   thanks      so..... what is CQPITU ?     you know, if more people had inquisitive minds 

and asked more questions.............. maybe we would not get the same old shtick all the time.

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

haha   thanks      so..... what is CQPITU ?     you know, if more people had inquisitive minds 

and asked more questions.............. maybe we would not get the same old shtick all the time.

i sent you a PM.

As long as US Medicare is reimbursing hospitals 13000 for simple covid19 diagnosis, and 39000 if the patient needs to go on a ventilators, there will likely be many more cases.  And that explains the cries for ventilators, too..they are cash cows.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

The blame game will run for years, I say China virus you say Trump virus.

People are already politicizing and trying to rearrange the narrative of the corvid 19 virus. 

including yourself, it would seem...….

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Would you like extra greese with that fish n chips, how bout a deep fried baloney or pork pie deep fried in the tin? Yum. 

For healthy people comparison walk a day around a quaint beach town like Blackpool then fly to San Diego and do the same thing.

Pardon? ????

It´s stupid to compare the number of deaths with another country with a much smaller population. You have to compare the number of deaths per 1M population. And there are the US (still) not so bad - 62 compared with European countries with more than 300.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Like 2

This is the result of Health care system largely owned and operated by private sector businesses and the medical lobbies. If you cannot afford medical expenses in USA you're dead. Long live Neoliberism! ????

57 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes I agree, the S.Koreans have a leader who leads.

Precisely who is running the US is not known, though there is a President in the White House, He has declared ‘I don’t take any responsibility at all’.

There’s definitely something in the WH, nut calling it a president.....a step too far I think.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, moontang said:

As long as US Medicare is reimbursing hospitals 13000 for simple covid19 diagnosis, and 39000 if the patient needs to go on a ventilators, there will likely be many more cases.  And that explains the cries for ventilators, too..they are cash cows.

I was curious about your claim so looked it up; you're correct about the charges. No surprise the US has the highest cost of medical care in the world!

https://www.kff.org/uninsured/issue-brief/estimated-cost-of-treating-the-uninsured-hospitalized-with-covid-19/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have never once said the Coronavirus is a ‘Trump Virus’.

Proper term is coined by youtuber "Overstay Road" : The Chinese Communist Party Chinese corona bat research virus. I think is how he terms it. My favorite youtuber!

Edited by WalkingOrders
add a word

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The US had its first case on exactly the same day as did S.Korea.

The S. Korean government responded immediately with nation wide, centrally directed policies that worked.

The head of the US Government spent the following 6 weeks, downplaying the risk, waffling about hoaxes, telling lies, playing golf, blaming others and making baseless predictions.

The US President has still not directed a nation wide response. 

America and Americans are paying the tragic price of Trump’s inability to do his job.

Of course had Hilary won she'd have done so much better in her caring compassionate way!

And Italy's government, Spain's, France's - or do you only criticize Trump?

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

It´s stupid to compare the number of deaths with another country with a much smaller population. You have to compare the number of deaths per 1M population. And there are the US (still) not so bad - 62 compared with European countries with more than 300.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I agree with you on comparing different countries.

But what is interesting is how inefficient developed countries governments (and bodies like the EU) have been at reacting and dealing with this compares to say - HK, Taiwan, South Korea etc.

Maybe some countries / blocs are now too big for humans to competently manage?

2 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

By “tally” if you mean a head count of the dead, those true figures will never be known. 

Many question Thailand’s numbers and the Chinese are hardly honourable.

The charts shown already in this thread point to America faring better than most nations on a pro rata system. 

China remain the big winners if there are to be any winners.

Their rivals in the west receiving unsurmountable damage to economies and standards of living for some time to come. 

And New York is not counting those which die at home, only in hospital. Is that honorable ?

One lot of statistics for the USA as at 8th April....39 deaths per million population, the other statistics from a few days later 62 deaths/million !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

And New York is not counting those which die at home, only in hospital. Is that honorable ?

One lot of statistics for the USA as at 8th April....39 deaths per million population, the other statistics from a few days later 62 deaths/million !

The USA is not the only country underestimating actual deaths.  It is difficult to calculate home deaths and if the death certificate doesn't specifically say Covid19 on it then it's not counted.  Obviously many people die when they have underlying medical problems which will then be given as the cause of death.  Add to that the amount of time it takes to collate the figures and the daily death toll with be way off the actual number who died on that day.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

Less deaths per population though.

IMG_20200412_100059.png

It doesn't make sense to compare countries which are at different stages on the diffusion curve. When one looks at the slope of the curve, the US don't look particularly good.

BTW, the graph is from an excellent updated article. Free access.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

http___com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.png

• Like 2