Porsche no match for Bangkok's slippery roads - red plate supercar hits lamp post

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The unseasonal rains in Bangkok yesterday and the resulting slippery conditions on the roads claimed a high profile victim yesterday.

above missed the other more relevant 'condition' - that of 'Speed'

The boxer engined goKart, could have fared better, with high(er)  profile tyres too

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

More to the point it was the first rain for months on end.

When that happens a film of oil is lifted from the pavements and they can be like sheets of wet ice.

Dude has probaly never driven the car in the wet, let alone first rain.

Good point, see the idiots all the time, driving too fast and too close when it first starts to rain. Add to the above the fact that a 911 is twitchy and unpredictable in the wet and it is no surprise if your underwear goes to the laundry.

Add to that the fact that a certain nationality appears to be totally lacking in driving skills and we have a recipe for disaster. Nice car wasted on an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The unseasonal rains ..."

Wasn't supposed to rain today. I didn't notice ...

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Thing is once a 911 back end steps out its very hard to recover from.

This is because of the pendulum effect of the engine BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE.

????

A guy I knew took a test drive in a new 911 with the salesman.  He ended up spinning it out into a corn field in the midwest, USA.  He agreed with that.  :cheesy:

A rich kid roaming around in a car which is fantastic but requires more than just two hours of brainless little video snoring at the Department of Land Transport. Most likely not even paid yet - oh well.

And then they ask Europeans, with real driving school and real exams including basic car knowledge of checking battery acid, tire pressure and level of engine oil. In my driving exam the expert told me to stop and asked me to change a tire (which I had learnt at a driving school). Here they hardly know where to put a key into the ignition ....... go figure ???? 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Poor dude should have taken Janis Joplin's advice

Oh Lord wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz, My friends all drive Porsches, 

I must make amends :sorry:

... could instead quite easily have ended up imitating James Dean

Anyone remember those 1980's BMW's. They would have been ideal for Thailand with its 3 roundabouts. Even in the dry the back end was always a bit twitchy when encountering bends.

I actually find most of the Thais to be very proficient at avoiding each other, my wife has great spacial awareness when driving, but they are lost when it comes to even the most gentle curve. Makes me laugh when the road sign indicates DANGER BEND AHEAD ..reduce speed to 10KM. The sharp bend they proclaim would't even register back in Derbyshire / Staffordshire.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, metempsychotic said:

More to the point it was the first rain for months on end.

When that happens a film of oil is lifted from the pavements and they can be like sheets of wet ice.

Dude has probaly never driven the car in the wet, let alone first rain.

As for unseasonal rains, it has rained every songkran I can remember. Songkran usually indicates the very beginning of wet season.

Last month when heading out of Bangkok north of Rangsit it started raining (first time in months). No drivers were compensating for the slippery conditions. In the period of 30 minutes we witnessed or passed at least 7 crashes. 360s on the opposite carriageway and fishtails in front of us. Pure carnage. 

9 hours ago, DaLa said:

Anyone remember those 1980's BMW's. They would have been ideal for Thailand with its 3 roundabouts. Even in the dry the back end was always a bit twitchy when encountering bends.

Yup, I've had a few of them, even raced one. I think I drove more sideways than straight, especially in the winter. Good practise for drifting. They don't have winter here so they don't know how to flip the back out and control with gas pedal.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:
13 hours ago, DaLa said:

Yup, I've had a few of them, even raced one. I think I drove more sideways than straight, especially in the winter. Good practise for drifting. They don't have winter here so they don't know how to flip the back out and control with gas pedal.

I have driven hundreds of different cars but the 1980's BMW is most dangerous car I have ever driven. It would swap ends on you without warning. Sent my underwear to the laundry.

• Haha 1