Restrictions can be lifted, but very gradually, experts say

webfact

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I left Thailand on 27th March (11 days earlier than planned), even without quarantine, if nowhere's open there's not much point in being there.

I left the same day and the last week in particular nothing was open after the closure on 22nd. Really boring to just stay inside a condo. Having a house with a backyard might make a difference. Back home almost everything is closed as well but at least I can go out and do some excercise. In fact my gym is still open (one of the few) so that one is a plus too. Hardly anyone goes there now, especially late at night, so I can have the place to myself.

Salons and beauty shops should open first? What the ....? Salons I get, cause people need grooming. Beauty salons? Too much risk for contaminated sponges, nail files, etc. 

How about reopening the parks first, but make sure than people don't go in as groups? We need exercise. We need to see some green. We need to workout in fresh air. People are going insane and drowning in loneliness and depression, and their solution to that is "become beautiful"? I really don't understand the logic....

Since I need to be able to do day trips to Cambodia in order to start trying to rebuild my business, these restrictions still leave me essentially unemployed.

Call me when they are actually serious about reopening the country. These half measures are meaningless in terms of restoring the economy. It is just window dressing to make themselves feel better. There will be no tourists, no flights and international postal service, nothing that helps millions of people still out of work.

I suppose a few will benefit, but for millions it is a non event.

This is gonna be so fun.

Now in Denmark they are opening up schools. A group of 40,000 people on Facebook (mothers), are claiming it's too early, and they don't want their children to be guinea pigs. They are refusing to let their children go to school.

Duh. Someone's got to be the first. ????

Same logic with the barbershops, some people will moan it's too early. 

Gyms, also. Last two weeks before they shut down here (Europe), people were screaming on forums: "why are you letting them open, close them".

The good news for me (because I will be the first one present when they reopen), people that feel it's risky will stay longer at home and that will just thin the herd for me, flattening the risk. ????????????

Edited by lkv

18 hours ago, generealty said:

(In the future, foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand will have to apply a month ahead and must agree to a 14-day quarantine upon entering the country. He said this move may help the private sector arrange quarantine sites for visitors) A lot of tourist - Chinese included, only visit Thailand for 7, 10 or 14 days holiday. Do they really expect people to work all year saving to fly half way around the world to be put under virtual house arrest for their ENTIRE holiday ? That will not help the Thai economy and I do not think many, if any, will come. GOODBYE Thailand, nice knowing you. In future years the schools will be teaching their students that ONCE Thailand was a tourist hub until idiots took control

plus when coming here for 30 days holiday stamp then staying in for 14 days wont work this should be done before they travel when they get here they can still test them and get a result same day 

20 hours ago, lkv said:

Singapore and Hong Kong have been taking swabs and let people be on their way, with the recommendation to keep distance until the result comes back in 3-4 hours. If positive, they go to hospital and take it from there (likely send them to self quarantine and identify contacts -if any -), if negative they carry on with their vacation.

Source?

25 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Source?

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/quick-test-for-travellers-with-symptoms-on-arrival-in-spore

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3073905/coronavirus-singapore-launches-new-fast-track-swab

As i said, it was an early measure before more enhanced restrictions were put in place, which I see likely to return, once the curve is flattened and decreasing (or becomes stable and so on).

That way, people could actually holiday.

The brilliant idea of people staying in quarantine for 14 days in any country as a tourist will not work, as others have said.

It's also an additional measure in HK currently, apart from the mandatory quarantine. 

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202004/07/P2020040700753.htm

Viable solutions will have to be found for people to fly, and i see these sort of things (negative covid certificate upon boarding plus swab at arrival with no quarantine), as possible scenarios to get tourism started again slowly.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

To say that if you have it you have immunity is incorrect.  They are not sure at all that this is the case at this point.

We need to be honest:  as long as there are people infected in your country and you entertain the possibility of re-introducing it nations won't be letting anyone in for tourist purposes.  If someone was dropped on their head and wanted to visit thailand to sit in their hotel room for 14 days, then, wow that's up to them.  Then when they go they can go home and sit at home for another 14 days.  

I can't see how the tourist season can be saved in 2020 in a meaningful way.  

Yeah yeah. 

So whilst other countries are actually testing and getting numbers that are closer to reality, Thailand is not testing and has been proven to be making up things on numerous occasions.

So let me get this straight, Singapore has more cases than Thailand for a population of 5.6M, and Thailand less cases at 70M population?

Thailand must be lucky. Must have something to do with Buddha I think.

And then, these countries that have the nerve to manipulate data (China included), then use these fake numbers against countries that are really testing and show more real numbers.

Edited by lkv

Don't worry about OP headline, the global economy will very gradually stabilise but it's going to take years to get over this mess.  

I had high hopes for the Tories but they went rogue on this one.  Their first idea was best, in my opinion, but they bottled it.  

It would have been far easier to isolate the vulnerable.  A very simple decision to this effect would have saved years of woe.  The high street is gone in the UK.  This was the final nail for an already struggling retail sector and thousands will be unemployed.  

Edited by torturedsole

47 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah yeah. 

So whilst other countries are actually testing and getting numbers that are closer to reality, Thailand is not testing and has been proven to be making up things on numerous occasions.

So let me get this straight, Singapore has more cases than Thailand for a population of 5.6M, and Thailand less cases at 70M population?

And then, these countries that have the nerve to manipulate data (China included), then use these fake numbers against countries that are really testing and show more real numbers.

I agree, it doesn't make sense at all.  It seems that people only care about optics.  

For a country so heavily dependent on tourism the crash could be astoundingly brutal.  But it's important to understand that things change very quickly and I do hope this happens.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Cambodia a few days ago, business as usual.....  Let's face it, "Thailand's not what it used to be, nor ever shall be again"   well at least until there's a change of management........  

Beer in Cambodia.jpg

What you say could be on the minds of many expats in Thailand not including the virus aspect cos I am told Cambodia has poor medical facilities . having said that Cambodia has only reported 122 virus cases and 0 deaths . Are there any lock downs or closures in Cambodia ? Do you prefer where you are to LOS ?

3 hours ago, lkv said:

Singapore is approximately 719 sq km, while Thailand is approximately 513,120 sq kms, making Thailand 71,246% larger than Singapore.

It's laughable that some here ridicule the Thai education system when it is apparent that their own education wasn't that much better.

" Tracking is done via your phone, so you may think you have gotten away with it until that knock on your door comes ... "

I like this.  It’s funny to an older person.  In that they are trying to foist this upon american people. I don’t own a fone so no one has made provision for that.  I guess I’ll be turned back at the airport or forced to go to a duty free to buy one.  Or, just carry a defunct tablet, put the app, then self-delete. Fat chance!  NOT! .. better yet .. don’t come here!  Now there’s an idea!  I’ve always said if you make it difficult for me to Give You Money, essentially Being Ungrateful! then ..  I’ll vote with my feet.

It’ll never fly in u.s., considering we go to the supreme court over a religious minded baker being forced to make wedding cakes for gay couples and we fight over every angle being proposed such as in guns & the 30 million illegals sucking up our $.  A very different culture, we have.  We enjoy & fight endlessly for our freedoms.  So, if it’s freedom you want then you have to seek it out and at times go elsewhere.  This includes 'tracking'.

Another is, we just defy.  I think maybe, we may be the last country where we just say NO!  ..  other than lawless 3° world types south of our border or in africa, where defying or ignoring law is a national pastime.

So, if Thailand & the rest want to have these moron ideas, and they have been ongoing especially insofar the 1.5 million foreigners remaining in their country during this crisis, then fine by me.  I understand there are some with many vested interests in the place they live having established households and business and family.  That’s a tough one for them.  For others, like myself, I don’t fret & plan for the future.  I’ve traveled and adventured for decades and will return to those better, laid back places, sometimes lawless or with a past history of having been, as in South America.  If you want a great time in a beautiful country with women who will fall in your lap and are culturally more aligned and easier to communicate, with a very low cost of living and Tropical like here, then flee Thailand when you can finally go and look at Colombia.  Look around at other great places and spend your $ where the people are grateful and make it easy.  When you arrive Colombia you get automatic 90 days. Or, Europe.  The Europeans appear to be opening up faster than the rest.  When I leave Thailand it’ll be for good.  Couldn’t care less.

•  

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I sure hope so. Opening prematurely or easing the lockdown would be stupid, stupid, stupid. Of course, many of the greedies & ill-informed are the govt!

If there is money for submarines, high speed trains and other no essential trinkets then there is money for the unemployed.

1 minute ago, Oziex1 said:

If there is money for submarines, high speed trains and other no essential trinkets then there is money for the unemployed.

They should use TATS budget to help in easing the restrictions, and giving money to those that need it, since TAT is basically an inactive post now....

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:22 AM, jmurch said:

Hairdresser and beauty salons open first? People have to look good before they can go back to work? Sorry I don't understand this!

It's important to get the beaver trimmed before starting work again after such a long lag.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, superal said:

What you say could be on the minds of many expats in Thailand not including the virus aspect cos I am told Cambodia has poor medical facilities . having said that Cambodia has only reported 122 virus cases and 0 deaths . Are there any lock downs or closures in Cambodia ? Do you prefer where you are to LOS ?

Cambodia is upgrading its hospitals just as Thailand did years ago. People forget that Thailand only had one or two decent hospitals in BKK, the rest were on the same par with Cambodia.  Personally having lived in Thailand for a long time i currently spread my time out with neighbouring countrys, i spend time in Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Laos, i find that Thailand no longer has the "Buzz" it used to have, especially under the current action man mob......  They've been in power since the thirties, but some have heavier feet than others.........  Or is that smaller brains ?  

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2020 at 3:17 AM, webfact said:

In the future, foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand will have to apply a month ahead and must agree to a 14-day quarantine upon entering the country. He said this move may help the private sector arrange quarantine sites for visit

On 4/15/2020 at 4:25 AM, lkv said:

Singapore and Hong Kong have been taking swabs and let people be on their way, with the recommendation to keep distance until the result comes back in 3-4 hours. If positive, they go to hospital and take it from there (likely send them to self quarantine and identify contacts -if any -), if negative they carry on with their vacation.

3.4 million arrivals in a month at Changi airport during pre-CV times. 

You really think they can swab everyone and then track down the possible thousands that test positive?   

Until there is a vaccine, quarantine is the only way to protect the public from those who deem travel is a necessary risk in their lives.  

Edited by Skallywag

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

3.4 million arrivals in a month at Changi airport during pre-CV times. 

You really think they can swab everyone and then track down the possible thousands that test positive?   

Until there is a vaccine, quarantine is the only way to protect the public from those who deem travel is a necessary risk in their lives.  

1. Airlines hope to be fully operational June 1, Qatar is listing 1 flight every day to Bangkok via Doha in June and no availability in May.

2. Air traffic should return to 80% pre covid levels by the end of the year. At first, most people will not take a plane because a. They will be scared. b. Stigma about Asia maybe c. Complications with visas. d. Many will not afford this year's holiday anymore. And so on.

As air traffic slowly increases, testing methods will likely become quicker because of technological advances, and as the curve is kept under control at small levels, they will likely also be gradually removed.

So I think it can be handled, yes.

You CANNOT shut down airlines for 2 years until a vaccine is mass produced, readily available, and people vaccinated already, all airlines would go bankrupt in 2-3 months. Many will anyway, without government support.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Over in Singapore, researchers at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) have developed a kit that combines the best of both worlds: the accuracy of RT-PCR and the speed of rapid diagnostics. Named Cepat, which means fast in Malay, the test uses an enzyme that can amplify viral genetic material at a single temperature rather than Taq polymerase which requires multiple rounds of heating and cooling. The test, which can be conducted on a portable device, can be completed in five to ten minutes, making it one of the fastest COVID-19 tests in the world if approved. Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: https://www.asianscientist.com/2020/04/features/covid-19-diagnostics-explained/

if everyone wears a buzz lightyear helmet with built in air system it will be fine .its time for some bright spark to start selling them.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/04/15/no-mask-no-problem-nc-mom-wears-buzz-lightyear-helmet-grocery-store-buy-food-kids/

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/15/78-people-coronavirus-dont-show-symptoms-12559480/

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases is climbing towards two million globally, but many more may have the virus. That’s because a huge number of people may not be showing any symptoms at all. A recent study published by the British Medical Journal has suggested that as much as 78% of infected people may be asymptomatic. The paper comes from analysis of collated data published daily by the Chinese authorities from April 1 on the number of new coronavirus cases in the country. It states ‘a total of 130 of 166 new infections (78%) identified in the 24 hours to the afternoon of Wednesday April 1 were asymptomatic.’ Additionally, the 36 symptomatic cases ‘involved arrivals from overseas’ according to China’s National Health Commission. Tom Jefferson, an epidemiologist and honorary research fellow at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at the University of Oxford, said these details were ‘very, very important.’ He told the BMJ: ‘The sample is small, and more data will become available. Also, it’s not clear exactly how these cases were identified. But let’s just say they are generalisable. And even if they are 10% out, then this suggests the virus is everywhere. ‘If—and I stress, if—the results are representative, then we have to ask, ‘What the hell are we locking down for?’’

Edited by 3NUMBAS

6 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

What the hell are we locking down for?’’

Because even in Italy, they expect the real number to be ×10 more. And they are testing the most. So imagine the asymptomatic case number in countries not testing. The factor is higher.

If they keep everyone in the house then many will clear it without the need of medical care. They will also not infect others.

If everybody goes out, more infections = more deaths, then the medical system cannot cope, then not only the covid ones die, but all the others suffering from all the various other things, since the hospitals are too busy handling covid.

So you might die because of lack of medical care, even without covid, if you have an emergency.

In Italy, doctors had to choose who lives and who dies, they were overwhelmed. As you can imagine, young are prioritised over old (that have a more limited life expectancy).

Edited by lkv

On 4/15/2020 at 3:40 AM, Justgrazing said:

Yea right .. They can stuff that where the sun don't shine .. 

Fly halfway around the world to be told stay in for 14 days .. Off their head's they are .. And can you really see zillions of Chinese who let's face it are the market they hold closest being banged up for a fortnight with no free for all seafood buffet to pile into ..

I think not .. 

Don't worry, this will probably only last for a couple of years

18 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

can i buy Favipiravir would be useful keeping some 

I'm pretty sure the whole stock has been directed to hospitals. 

Secondly, I am not sure if you are joking or not, but be advised of the following.

Some patients on remdesivir courses had to be taken off it temporarily, because their immune system went overdrive (in plain English, it kept fighting a low infection at max capacity, and this is something that can weaken the internal organs and kill you). So the patient was taken off remdisivir and put on another drug to lower the immunity.

Remdesevir, favipiravir, whatever, do not even think to experiment with these drugs without medical supervision, they are only for people that develop pneumonia , and the treatment course adjusts / changes, depending on the evolution of the patient.

Edited by lkv