Chonburi malls among first in country to reopen

webfact

Chonburi malls among first in country to reopen

By THE NATION

800_5100472cce4d134.jpg?v=1586937513

Phakthon Thianchai

Chonburi was among the first provinces in the country to partially lift its lockdown on Wednesday (April 14) as some shops reopened. However, its popular maritime gateway of Koh Loi Pier will remain closed until the Covid-19 crisis is resolved, said provincial governor Phakthon Thianchai.

Ships plying the route to Sichang Island are exempt from the order and still operating.

Shops in malls permitted to open for business from Tuesday (April 14) included banks and finance-related outlets, smartphone repair centres, supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants (takeaway service only) and zones selling electrical appliances, kitchenware, computers or construction equipment and related items.

Previously, only the restaurants, supermarkets and pharmacies had been permitted to open under lockdown restrictions.

Policymakers and health chiefs will be monitoring Chonburi closely to see what effect the easing of restrictions has on the local Covid-19 situation, as other provinces prepare to lift their lockdowns.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386048

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-15

I guess the plan is to let the virus rip through the locked-down city, killing all the unclean farangs who have ruined the place in the process, and then rebranding it as a high-quality family-friendly resort. Plus ca change, as the French say. 

3 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Oh yeah, computer equipment and kitchenware is so damn important, lol

These guys must sit on their brains.

I ventured to Tucom Pattaya a week ago cuz I burned out my mouse. Of course they were shut down tight, only the grocery store downstairs was open. Lazada had a logitech in my hands in two days. I was impressed!

13 hours ago, madmen said:

Tired old clichés brown envelope. Even Australia is easing back into opening shops and people going back to work

People need there jobs asap !

Not in the state I'm in and any other at the moment,the latest is maybe 5 weeks time if then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Yes it would be much more important to open all the bars.

To mongers yes. Definitely a non essential business and also a very high risk business as far as social distancing. People seem to be having some kind of strange delusion that's it's possible to instantly go back to normal. You're talking many months for that and it won't be the same normal as before.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Kerryd said:

So we're "locking down" at the same time as we are "opening up" ? 

Oh right, I forgot. First it was to keep everyone (foreign and domestic) out of Pattaya but now it's to keep the main part of the city locked down because there are some (foreign) tourists there and despite no news of any new infections for almost 2 weeks, they are saying that Pattaya is the "yolk" of the egg for new infections.
(The last infection was reportedly a Russian man who died in his home 10 days ago - after he'd gone to a hospital and they wouldn't admit him for some reason.)

Meanwhile other parts of the country are starting to ease restrictions.

You've got your story confused. The one who was sent home was not the one who died. 

In fact, one one who died possibly caught it on Phuket.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To mongers yes. Definitely a non essential business and also a very high risk business as far as social distancing. People seem to be having some kind of strange delusion that's it's possible to instantly go back to normal. You're talking many months for that and it won't be the same normal as before.

Plenty of bar/restaurants adapted their seating arrangements very well and effectively to ensure social distancing pre the complete ban on both eating in and serving alcohol. They were no different to the likes of banks for example with spaced seating and probably more effective than queuing at supermarket checkouts. Not an instant opening but I see no reason why a gradual reverse opening with common sense applied shouldn't happen for restaurants and bars. People need to have social contact, this forum is as good an example as any of the dangers of social isolation enforced or otherwise. 

Edited by kinyara
Addition
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Plenty of bar/restaurants adapted their seating arrangements very well and effectively to ensure social distancing pre the complete ban on both eating in and serving alcohol. They were no different to the likes of banks for example with spaced seating and probably more effective than queuing at supermarket checkouts. Not an instant opening but I see no reason why a gradual reverse opening with common sense applied shouldn't happen for restaurants and bars. People need to have social contact, this forum is as good an example as any of the dangers of social isolation enforced or otherwise. 

Restaurants here are probably opening In May. Not sure what kind of metrics have and how accurate they are to justify that risk. In any case it is a risk and bars and massage SPAS etc. would logically come later. Thailand like everywhere needs more testing and contact tracing. These moves shouldn't be done in the dark and when you reopen too early be prepared for very possible backfires and repeated closings.