Bangkok: A city silenced [PHOTOS]

Jonathan Fairfield

A city silenced

b1.jpg

Downtown Bangkok that used to be a hub of activity is now eerily quiet even on weekends due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Shopping malls and salons remain closed and streets are empty for a month after the government issued an emergency decree to shut down the city to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386342

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-19

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

• Like 2

I used to love getting up early and walking around BKK before the masses slept off their night before. 

Looked a lot like these photos, long before the coronavirus.  About the only difference is the lack of street vendors setting up in the wee hours.  But I think the gub'ment drove most of them off long ago anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

and I am sure the air and the trees and the lizards basking along the waterways are loving it.  Damn so many cars usually there.  Has to be a better solution

God help us if the animals put 2 and 2 together, have a meeting, and decide on producing all manner of virus going forward...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, timendres said:

God help us if the animals put 2 and 2 together, have a meeting, and decide on producing all manner of virus going forward...

haha.  Herd intelligence and cooperation.  The stuff for a good Science Fiction novel.  Planet of the Apes was just the harbinger species

15 minutes ago, timendres said:

I seem to remember an old Tales from the Darkside, or one of those late night horror shows from the 80s.  Some experiment was making rats smart and they took over a house or a lab or something like that.  Not Ben or Willard.  But it was a really creepy episode

11 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Good opportunity for movie makers to get stock footage for future apocalyptic movies  :thumbsup:

Oh yeah.  So many cities around the world, landmarks, historical sites, etc.  An opportunity for something without CGI effects.  I still remember the classic The Omega Man from the 70s.  So eerie to see an empty New York City.